Living on the surface

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Madoc
Maid
Maid

Living on the surface

Post by Madoc »

When drow seek the surface, what is the ideal community the goddess would like her followers to establish? We know what is written in regards to *temples* of the goddess, but what of groupings of her followers?

Given the importance and emphasis of nature and hunting, would a rural community be prefered to an urban setting?
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: Living on the surface

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well lore is limited as to communities, worship is in groves. Communities would be near groves if enough band together, to protect the grove and the surrounding lands. This though does not prevent a large number to build an Elven like city that exists on Evermeet. I do not readily see Eilistraee followers building tree cities, though certainly some might as well. The Promenade an underdark community is one of the largest that I recall seeing in official lore. This was described as a rare, that is underdark, community of followers of the Dark Maiden. In some cities on the surface there are followers that travel from the cities to a grove to worship with others they know of. It was clearly indicated that there could be more then one group in a city that does not know about other groups.

Ed has indicated that some followers have strong houses on the borders between realms.
Lisa indicated an Eliustraee comunity in one of her books that clearly was rural and at best might be called a town.

There also is the Twisted Tower that followers once controlled and a temple someplace on the surface that Dark Portals offered of which clearly many followers lived in.

As such many options are possible.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

What Bhaern said. Also, keep in mind that Eilistraeens wish to prove to the surface races that drow can work together towards the making of a community free from hatred and pointless backstabbing, where people work united and in harmony for a common goal, but where at the same time the individuality and freedom of choice and self-expression of each person is preserved. For this reason, EIlistraeen communities could be settled in the peripheral areas of forests, near human or elven settlements to protect and aid them in the moment of need (if possible), in the hope that contacts and relationship with their inhabitants can be achieved.

Also, there's a small number of followers of the Dark Maiden in the city of Raven's Bluff, but this one is a very particular case due to the nature of the city. The moondancers are allowed and can safely work for their goal there as long as they pay their taxes (which everyone has to pay. IIRC Their 'temple' there was first destroyed by a mob of citizens who couldn't stand the idea of drow living so close to them -even tho the dark elves were actually helping the ones in need in the city, with things like feeding the poor- but then the authorities acknowledged them as legit tax-payers and allowed them to stay).
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

What book was this in? I've read most of the FR drow material, from 2nd ed and 3.5, and I don't recall seeing this. Enlighten me, please?
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Raven's Bluff supplement, by Ed. TSR 9575.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

Ah! Thanks. I have it in pdf form, but have never cracked it open. May have to look through it....
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188