Underdark Abominations

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Underdark Abominations

Post by Rooky »

Since I can't put this to words, and I haven't had my morning coffee I'll ask like this:

Dark Elf = Holly, godly being
Spider = Holly, godly being

Drider = pice of dog shit

Why?

Drider = Drow + Spider

How come driders be treated like dog crap?
:3
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well you mean besides the fact the transformation is considered Lolth's punishment for failure?

Driders are often describled as ugly Drow (that portion of them that is huminoid of course) and one thing elves (including the Drow) value is beauty and grace. This would be another reason their company is not perferred.
There of course is the factor of not being truely either a Drow or a spider, but stuck somewhere in between. Driders also can not breed, each is made. They are things rather then a race (this of course subject to any rule change I might have missed). They are homeless, unloved and filled with resentment.
Rooky
Legend

Post by Rooky »

I still don't get it, bet hey, it's me ;)

One more question conserning the subject: Are yochlol driders (Drow/Spider), and if so, how come they're...."loved" by Llolth (by loved I mean spared of some annoyment by her)
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote:ffah9kjs]Yochlols are fictional demonic creatures in Dungeons & Dragons. These lesser Tanar'ri are handmaidens of Lolth, the drow Goddess of Chaos, dwelling amongst the outer planes and being regularly summoned by the Queen of Spider's priestesses to witness sacrifices in the name of their dark goddess, Lolth.

They appear as tentacled blobs of melted wax and continually emit a foul stench. They also have the power to change their shapes—usually to a comely drow female or to a spider (usually a black widow). They can also change themselves into a gaseous form, allowing their unknowing victims to inhale them, and then suffocating them.[/quote:ffah9kjs]

They are demons and never a drider. As for how they are viewed, certainly not loved (well perhaps the female form might get loved) and to be feared, respected and obeyed should they appear.

Oh another reason driders are shunned is that for younger Drow they serve as a remender of the test to come and of course would be more powerful then them. Of the Drow that passed the test, the Driders looked at with scorn. They are failures and those thatfail can recieve no respect.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yochlol:3pn4i6gc]Yochlol[/url:3pn4i6gc]

I think Lolth loves them because, well, they're her servants. Though their 'natural' appearance doesn't fit into the drow and/or spider theme at least they're unique. And they look suitably vile and evil so we won't have to feel remorse for slaying them. ;)

As for driders, I think Bhaern covered that pretty well. Though I agree that at first glance it might be a bit weird that a drow/spider combination is reviled instead of revered. Particularly since one of the drow deities (one that is kinda accepted in Lolthian society) is the deity of driders (i.e. Selvetarm), among a few other things.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Rooky
Legend

Post by Rooky »

Viva la Yochlol. Thanks for the info. Both of you...Now, if I can only figure how to get this dog leash of of me, I'll be on my way...
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

Maybe it'll come off if you turn into a (complete, though temporary) human. :p
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Maybe this one is a bit late, but still, the drow love purity. I mean a race, that is pure. You know, they sacrifice their children at their birth if they see there's anything wrong about them etc, and a drider is, well, a mixture, something that in neither drow nor spider. They despise anything, that is half one thing, and half the other... Even some fearie elves think similar. Well, that's what I think...
Le Seigneur Noir
Maid
Maid

Post by Le Seigneur Noir »

You can read this, is a great text about Yochlol.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20070427a

And don't forget, Draegloth rules too !

And the PC of FR "Arachne" can shap a form of the Yochlol :devil:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Arachne

I've find that : (VO = Espagnol)

http://translate.google.fr/translate?js ... ry_state0=