Drow Deities

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=indigo:isbpaoyp]Sorry for double posting, but what are Eilistraee's domains (or are they the same as her portfolio?)[/color:isbpaoyp]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

They are not the same.

Portfolio: Song, beauty, dance, swordwork, hunting, moonlight
Domains: Chaos, Charm, Drow, Elf, Good, Moon, Portal
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=indigo:2xajnmfx]Thank ye.[/color:2xajnmfx]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Aergale
Maid
Maid

Post by Aergale »

[quote="Sancha":3rx9xlo3][quote="Rooky":3rx9xlo3]It said in Bhaern's quote that the Llolth priestss are a bunch of "squablling gaggle of backstabbers that exist in Houses, clans and aims."

So what does that make Vhearuniaite's? (or how you spell it)

"Death before dishonor" like the Dragonlance Minotaurs?[/quote:3rx9xlo3]

According to his writeups, (but not the new drow novels), the Vhaeraunites work together and cooperate... [/quote:3rx9xlo3]

Wow, that was great :-) Now, most vhaeraunites are quite individualistic, but camraderie has it`s place in their case. There is such a thing as "honor among thieves". As i see it, most vhaeraunites might see any enemy as a potential betrayer, so they have no problems with betraying those they consider enemies, because that`s what they believe their enemies would do if the roles were reversed. That`s what they are used to, coming from a society in which "betray or be betrayed" is a law of life. Now, friends and comrades are a different case. It`s not something easily thrown away to the wind. Anyone, even a complete bastard, is capable of at least simply wanting a particular person or a group of people to be safe and enjoying their company. Unlike in lolthite society, this isn`t generally viewed as a weakness between followers of the Masked Lord. Surely, some might believe it to be a weakness, but that`s their problem. And as for partnership - well, it is always good to know that not everyone wants to stick a knife in your back :-) and it is only natural to cover each other`s back in a fight. And for some it is even possible to *gasp. shock, horror :-)* go and get a friend out of trouble even if it is dangerous. Of course, complete absence of internal strife is impossible, especially with a group like that. But it is minimised not as much by Vhaeraun`s dislike if it, as by the fact that working together simply works for them. Some simply like it this way, enjoying normal company and friendship, others simply understand that infighting is not practical. Enemies and serious obstacles are fair game. Those who simply stand away? Only if the goal is really important and there is no other acceptable way. Allies and friends? Whoever harms my pal will pay horribly. At least that`s the way i see it.

[quote="Bhaern Quel":3rx9xlo3]

Vhaeraun hates Lolth for taking followers from him, ...[/quote:3rx9xlo3]

Rather, for telling her spider-kissers to kill his followers whenever said spider-kissers manage to find and capture them. And for generally imposing her will on the Ssri tel` Quessir and keeping them in that stuffy old grave called Underdark. Oh, and for making Selvetarm her pet.
Dont try to catch the wind.
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

I always thought they were like Lolthians, just males had the upper hand. Now I see, things may be different.
Aergale
Maid
Maid

Post by Aergale »

[quote="Argoth":3qpsi0tm] Now I see, things may be different.[/quote:3qpsi0tm]

Yes, things are quite different :-) I wish i still had the "chronicles" of a campaign our roleplaying group played once, which explored that very question - honor among thieves, differences between vhaeraunites and spider-kissers. It was as close to a proof of my previous post in practice as a rpg could be.

Cheers :-) Have fun
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

There is canon, or former canon that afte the Desent, Vhaeraun lost followers to Lolth. Oh this was thousands of years ago, but some never forgive. I can not find the refference right now but I am sure it was/is Canon.
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=indigo:1c17wkbg]Vhaeraun is vaguely creepy to me. Not as much as the spiderbitch, of course, but I went on the Vhaeraun site and it kinda felt pretty hostile to an Eilistraeen. His followers are fairly acceptable though.[/color:1c17wkbg]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":2hetxrnl]Oh this was thousands of years ago, but some never forgive. I can not find the refference right now but I am sure it was/is Canon.[/quote:2hetxrnl]

If it was that easy, Gay-Boy of the elven pantheon wouldn't still be squablling with Groomsh about a lost eyeball...
The hostile behavior to Eilistraeen's is somewhat understandable...Would you want your baby sister to be more powerfull then you? I don't think so...But you still ahve to take it anyways...They always are...they always are...
:3
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":3emd1pxh]Oh this was thousands of years ago, but some never forgive. I can not find the refference right now but I am sure it was/is Canon.[/quote:3emd1pxh]

If it was that easy, Gay-Boy of the elven pantheon wouldn't still be squablling with Groomsh about a lost eyeball...
The hostile behavior to Eilistraeen's is somewhat understandable...Would you want your baby sister to be more powerfull then you? I don't think so...But you still ahve to take it anyways...They always are...they always are...
:3
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=darkred:3gu28vzt]Just because I figure Skate doesn't mean I'm gay!!![/color:3gu28vzt]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Joke:
Father to son:
-Do you have a Hugo Boss jacker?
-No.
-Do you drive a ferrari?
-No.
-Then you're not homosexual, you're plain gay...

Insted gay, use any other word that is considered an insult ( I don't know any ) and <=> istead of homosexual use gay. Then the joke works.

But seriously, not offense for anybody. It's just a joke.
Aergale
Maid
Maid

Post by Aergale »

[quote="Unaena_Stealthfoot":1nkx2tqy][color=indigo:1nkx2tqy]Vhaeraun is vaguely creepy to me. Not as much as the spiderbitch, of course, but I went on the Vhaeraun site and it kinda felt pretty hostile to an Eilistraeen. His followers are fairly acceptable though.[/color:1nkx2tqy][/quote:1nkx2tqy]

Wait, were you expecting a character who is strongly related to night (especially nights of new moon), shadows, thievery, rebellion, is often worshiped by assasins and has a really bad temper (or rather, is like a nuclear bomb when angered :-)) to be all sunny and friendly? :-)

On a more serious note, V and E have quite a long history of enmity. When did it all begin? Beats me. But as Bhaern Quel wrote, he does consider her a "daddy`s daughter", and, naturally, dislikes the fact that she thinks she can decide which dark elves have the right to live in the Night Above and which do not. However, things have gotten so far, that it must be quite a strong enmity by now. Separate groops of followers, on the other hand, might find mutual cooperation much easier, if they can put their prejudices aside. Highly unlikely after all the recent events, yeah. Unless in the upcoming two books, followers of both deities find out about the scheme, and this scheme happens to include temporary cooperation between V and E.

[quote="Rooky":1nkx2tqy]

[/quote:1nkx2tqy]

Wait, if Cory is gay, where did Vhaeraun and Eilistraee come from? And that chick called Vandria Gilmadrith (sp?) from "races of the wild"? Hmmm... maybe, the govermment only wants us to believe the pres... erm, Cory. has so many children, to cover up the truth???

:devil: :devil: :D ;)

[quote="Rooky":1nkx2tqy]
Would you want your baby sister to be more powerful than you? I don't think so...But you still have to take it anyways...They always are...they always are...[/quote:1nkx2tqy]

She is not more powerful, she just has better PR :-) And better allies, of course :-)
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

OK found at least parts of it, however will add this first.[quote:3h9fh8ho]The Weaver of
Destiny bore Corel-lon twin godlings-Vhaeraun and Eilistraee-before she
turned against her lover[/quote:3h9fh8ho]

Now one might know which can out first, but twins implies the same age.

[quote:3h9fh8ho]In the centuries that followed, Lolth made great
inroads among the warlike Ilythiiri, who had long since spread across
the South conquering their kin- folk under the careful guidance of
Vhaeraun, and to a lesser extent, Ghau- nadaur. Lolth's machinations
among the elves culminated in the Crown Wars, and eventually, the
descent of the drow into the Underdark, but by that time she had
enmeshed most of the dark-skinned Ilythiiri, now drow, in her webs and
engendered the death of countless elves and the destruction of much of
elven civilization in Faerun.[/quote:3h9fh8ho]

Lolth took followers from Vhaeraun to grow her power.
Aergale
Maid
Maid

Post by Aergale »

Thank you, lady Bhaern Quel, for sharing the exact quote. I never implied the spiderbitch did not take Vhaeraun`s followers, just that it was far from being the main reason of his burning hatred of her. It doesn`t say he started hating her as much as he does now right now. Surely, he was really angry at her for that, and he definately blames the fact that the drow are stuck in the Night Below on his parents (and i agree with him on that matter).

Good luck. Cheers.