Drow bonuses

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Drow bonuses

Post by Rooky »

Here's the thing:

Drow gain a bonus to they're Dex, Int, and Cha. They gain penalties to the'yre Con (elf).

Drow females preffer the cleric class, and what confuses me, is why they don't get a bonus to they're Wisdom?

Unless the rules changed over night, Clerics need they're Wisdom to cast spells...
:3
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well there is no easy answer to this.

One reason though appears to be equal treatment for both genders. Prior Editions did have lower stat caps for Str for example. Which of course fails to explain why a varient rule has males taking a -2 hit for Cha.

The other thing is to remember that Favored Class is more a cultural thing as oposed to desire of the individual that will select a class/career as to personal desire.

Of course 3.X also allows a stat increase every 4 levels so even a low Wisdon cleric can in time have their highest stat as Wis.
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=darkred:o90z1otf]I have a question on drow bonuses as well. I know that all drow can use faerie fire, create globes of darkness, and nobles can levitate. But what is the dancing lights spell ability? And is levitating (as a spell or otherwise) available in nwn2? I remember in nwn red dragon disciples gained wings at some point, but that they were purely cosmetic (I don't think they did anything but look pretty)[/color:o90z1otf]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Merinid Tlin'orzza
Regular

Post by Merinid Tlin'orzza »

[quote="Unen_Stealthfoot":1zglqd4c][color=darkred:1zglqd4c]But what is the dancing lights spell ability? And is levitating (as a spell or otherwise) available in nwn2?[/color:1zglqd4c][/quote:1zglqd4c]

[color=darkslateblue:1zglqd4c]Dancing Lights[/size:1zglqd4c]
Evocation [Light]
[b:1zglqd4c]Level:[/b:1zglqd4c] Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
[b:1zglqd4c]Components:[/b:1zglqd4c] V,S
[b:1zglqd4c]Casting Time:[/b:1zglqd4c] 1 standard action
[b:1zglqd4c]Range:[/b:1zglqd4c] Medium (100 ft. + 10ft./level)
[b:1zglqd4c]Effect:[/b:1zglqd4c] Up to four lights, all within a 10ft. radius area
[b:1zglqd4c]Duration:[/b:1zglqd4c] 1 minute (D)
[b:1zglqd4c]Saving Throw:[/b:1zglqd4c] None
[b:1zglqd4c]Spell Resistance:[/b:1zglqd4c] No

Depending on the version selected, you can create up to four lights that resemble lanterns or torches (and cast that amount of light), or up to four glowing spheres of light (which look like will-o-wisps), or one faintly glowing, vaguely humanoid shape. The [i:1zglqd4c]dancing lights[/i:1zglqd4c] must stay within a 10-foot-radius area in relation to each other but otherwise move as you desire (no concentration required): forward or back, up or down, straight or turning corners, or the like. The lights can move up to 100 ft. per round. A light winks out if the distance between you and it exceeds the spell's range.

[i:1zglqd4c]Dancing lights[/i:1zglqd4c] can be made permanent with a [i:1zglqd4c]permanency[/i:1zglqd4c] spell.

As for levitation in NWN2, no. The game will not feature it, because such a spell would need for the game engine to have a fully functioning z-axis, requiring a complete redesign from the ground up.[/color:1zglqd4c]
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=darkred:2tz8rph8]Thank you. Hey, has anyone here ever played Homeworld? That 3-D strategy is AWESOME!!![/color:2tz8rph8]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Well I've read that levitation, or even flying will be available on NWN 2, as well as climbing for a special class of a rouge, I think. It's only what I've ead on an official page. But I could be wrong.
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

Obsdian confirmed long ago that the game will not have a z-axis (ie: A measurement of up & down) So no flying.
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=darkred:1fwysi0l]Awww. That's too bad. Then again, if it did have a z-axis, there would be no way that my computer could run the game.[/color:1fwysi0l]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Well, z-axis or no, but mycomputer still won't run all of the graphics... Damn.
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=darkred:ymzxysw8]Yep, that's the problem with technology, you get a brand new, super-high speed computer, and in six months it's outof date.[/color:ymzxysw8]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Jubilee
Maid
Maid

Post by Jubilee »

It may seem odd, but Drow have bred for intelligence, agility, and force of personality over the millenia, not common sense. That would dictate killing yerselves isn't the best idea. :P
It is difficult for others to truly speak their heart or listen to it. The words often prove difficult, or they do not come at all - Brianna
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Well to be frank, the drow is a race I fell in love with from the very first time I came across them...
Mousestalker
Maid
Maid

Post by Mousestalker »

[quote="Jubilee":2felk0r7]It may seem odd, but Drow have bred for intelligence, agility, and force of personality over the millenia, not common sense. That would dictate killing yerselves isn't the best idea. :P[/quote:2felk0r7]

I would change that to 'have been bred'. Lolth's attachment to the Drow consists of her desire for a self-replenishing source of sustenance. If I'm reading the fiction correctly, then the whole focus of mainstream Drow society is the production of spiderfood in the afterlife.

Which means that the huge increase in non-Lolth worshipping Drow will create some interesting tensions in Drow society.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Mousestalker":g83mr4om]I would change that to 'have been bred'. Lolth's attachment to the Drow consists of her desire for a self-replenishing source of sustenance. If I'm reading the fiction correctly, then the whole focus of mainstream Drow society is the production of spiderfood in the afterlife.

Which means that the huge increase in non-Lolth worshipping Drow will create some interesting tensions in Drow society.[/quote:g83mr4om]
Don't take what you might have read in "Flesh for Lolth" as gospel; at least not in the Forgotten Realms.

I don't recall a single player of drow characters who was actually happy with that.

Not sure if that's what you were referring to though.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Mousestalker
Maid
Maid

Post by Mousestalker »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":q5ax07wm][quote="Mousestalker":q5ax07wm]I would change that to 'have been bred'. Lolth's attachment to the Drow consists of her desire for a self-replenishing source of sustenance. If I'm reading the fiction correctly, then the whole focus of mainstream Drow society is the production of spiderfood in the afterlife.

Which means that the huge increase in non-Lolth worshipping Drow will create some interesting tensions in Drow society.[/quote:q5ax07wm]
Don't take what you might have read in "Flesh for Lolth" as gospel; at least not in the Forgotten Realms.

I don't recall a single player of drow characters who was actually happy with that.

Not sure if that's what you were referring to though.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le[/quote:q5ax07wm]

I stopped reading the Dragon a while back, so I'm unfamiliar with that article. To be a bit more clear, I think that Drow society has been shaped by Lolth for her purposes. And the spiderfood reference is my take on the endless procession of dead Drow in 'War of the Spider Queen', nothing more.

I've been thinking a lot on how the Drow see the world and how they interact with each other, and so I'm trying to supply fanboy type rationalizations for the stuff Salvatore, Cunningham et al have written about Drow society. The odds of me being wrong about any given matter are probably pretty high. :)

What does 'Flesh for Lolth' say about it?