The 'secret history' of the Drow

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Xaraphim
Maid
Maid

The 'secret history' of the Drow

Post by Xaraphim »

Hello everyone. On a server in NWN that I play, I started a drow character named Xaraphim. I had no real grasp of what I was going to play him as, except that he was a neutral drow necromancer fleeing his home to find a more likely path to power than what fate alloted him.

From that nebulous concept my absolute favorite character was born. He grew from a bitter, cynical mage into a noble--if disturbingly violent--warrior, hells bent on restoring his fallen bretheren to their former glory.

After a while, I moved Xara to several other servers, and it was on the Heartlands of Faerun server that he met a follower of the Dark Maiden. He listned to their teachings and decided that while they were a bit too soft and gentle towards their enemies, their goddess did actually care for her children. This was an entirely new concept for him, and he began to convert.

But the teachings of the Lady of the Dance did not entirely sit well with him. His was the heart of a killer, even if he would lay downhis life for a loved one without a second thought.

And so it was that the idea I was cooking in the back of my mind came to full fruition, and Cerin was born. It's been about a half year since I first thought of the bloody-handed First Mother, and I've enjoyed rolling the various stories over and over in my head. In addition to the description for her, I have an idea for an alternate history for the drow race, the truth that was buried so long ago after millenia of hate and suspicion...

Anyhow, here's the Bloodmaiden as I have her right now, I'll try and get the 'secret history' typed up instead of here in my head.

[b:yqlurns4]CERIN[/b:yqlurns4]
The Bloodmaiden, Mother of the Drow, The First Mother
(Greater Deity)

[b:yqlurns4]Symbol:[/b:yqlurns4] Four armed drow woman whose lower arms hold a shallow bowl, and whose upper arms hold a sword in one hand and a book clasped to her breast in the other.

[b:yqlurns4]Home Plane:[/b:yqlurns4] The Copper Shoals

[b:yqlurns4]Alignment:[/b:yqlurns4] Neutral

[b:yqlurns4]Worshippers:[/b:yqlurns4] Drow, mostly. She has few worshippers as of yet, though once she gains popularity she may be venerated by any honorable warlike person, in theory.

[b:yqlurns4]Cleric Alignment:[/b:yqlurns4] Any Neutral

[b:yqlurns4]Favored Weapon:[/b:yqlurns4] Sanguis (Longsword)

Cerin is an ancient goddess who revels in combat, though she has a deep sense of honor. She gave birth to L’eldin, Aki and Lolth, making her the true creator of the drow race, though her children have strayed much from what she originally made them to be. In the ancient times when the elven people faced extinction, Cerin took a handful of elven champions and turned them into the first of the drow. Back then the drow were nearly invulnerable and swiftly ended the wars that threatened the elves existence.

But her children were not content to simply end the war, they sought to take back what had been lost, and Cerin supported them cheerfully. The drow swiftly decimated whatever army stood against them until it looked like they would claim all the Known World for the elven people. But the old gods grew fearful of the bloody-handed Cerin, and many of them united against her. There was a terrible battle in the heavens and many gods fell to the Bloodmaiden’s fury, but she was eventually weakened and forced to retreat the mortal land. She has been in slumber since before the First Age, though recently it seems that a few drow who can trace their bloodline to hers have come forward and begun to spread the teachings of the First Mother once more.

Cerin usually appears as a tall, stunningly beautiful drow woman with four arms. Her smile is calm and serene and her voice is quite gentle, though when something she loves is in danger her wrath is beyond terrifying. In battle she is a tempest of blood, steel and unstoppable fury, though she never gives in fully to anger, instead using it in even measure with a cold, ruthless cunning. In a fight she wields the fury of a storm with the precision of a surgeon, making her a deadly foe indeed.

Clerics of the Bloodmaiden are wholly devoted to restoring the drow to their former glory and reclaiming their place as protectors of the elves. Like their goddess, they tend to be calm and reasonable, but not even slightly adverse to bloodshed if it proves necessary.

Clerics of the First Mother pray for their spells at midnight, when the drow are most at home in the darkness. They celebrate few holidays as of yet, though once every four years they hold a special ceremony where Cerin’s faithful find a still pool of water where the fast and meditate for a full day. Then, beneath the full moon they shed a few drops of blood as an offering both to their goddess, and to the land which they so viciously fight to protect.

[b:yqlurns4]History/Relations:[/b:yqlurns4] While Cerin is incredibly angry with Lolth, she did give birth to the Spider Queen, and is loath to slay her child outright. Cerin is the brother of Corellan Lorethian and the two siblings hold nothing but love for one another, though Corellan sometimes worries about his sister’s warlike tendencies. The Bloodmaiden is the sworn protector of the entire elven pantheon and does her best to get along with them, though her relationship with Shevarsh is strained at best. Of the drow gods, Eilistraee is held in the highest regards, though Cerin sees Kiaransalee as an enemy, and Ghaunadaur as nothing but an abomination to be destroyed.

[b:yqlurns4]Dogma:[/b:yqlurns4] Heed the Three Virtues: Wrath, Cunning and Honor. Each are held in equal esteem in the First Mother’s eyes. Never betray a friend, though there is no dishonor in betraying an enemy. Be not afraid to give your life in defense of the drow or the elves, for in so doing you will find a place in the Bloodmaiden’s home. Remember that you can accomplish more as part of a cohesive unit than you can by yourself, but also do not become dependent on others, for there will come a time in everyone’s life when they must fight alone. Blessed is he who has many friends, for they are treasures beyond words. Blessed also is he who has strong enemies, for through adversity does one find their true measure.