Deities less powerful than their priests?

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Deities less powerful than their priests?

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=darkred:zsf595u1]I think that Eilistraee is a (multi-classed) level 5 cleric. How can she give divine spells to her priestesses that even she can't cast herself? i.e. ressurection? :? [/color:zsf595u1]

[Shir'le EDIT] Fixed the title.
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

This is simple, She has a divine rank of 1 or better. Achievieving divinity greants deieties access and knowledge of all spells. It does work though the Weave of course.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I never quite understood giving stats to deities. So I tend to see that more as the stats of their avatars. Maybe a representation of the maximum amount of force they can bring to bear on the world.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well the design team did not think mush of the idea either, at least SKR and a few others because of the space they took up. Deities where limited to a page count and deity stats reduced amount that could be written about history, dogma, etc. because of numbers most games would never need to use.
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=darkred:3s8taigy]So, on the dieties own home plane, if you found said diety, he/she/it would be much more powerful than their avatar, right?[/color:3s8taigy]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Unen_Stealthfoot":2s5bn70x][color=darkred:2s5bn70x]So, on the dieties own home plane, if you found said diety, he/she/it would be much more powerful than their avatar, right?[/color:2s5bn70x][/quote:2s5bn70x]

Under current rules the deity is at least twice the level of their Avatar. It is more debatable as if they are more powerful on their home plane (they can be actualy be killed on their own plane, but not restricted from travel in full power to other planes and be deathless).
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

I never quite understood giving stats to deities also. I mean, what good is it? Who would want to kill an avatar? I mean, a (in total) 40 lvl avatar, who hits You from up close with 50\49 etc and has an AC of 60?? I don't know. I mean, it's much more fun when two spiders can kill You and You have to thimk everything over not to die (in D&D). My highest level for a character was 13 + 2 (a drow). And I had some hard times. But my 13 + 2 lvl friend (drow fighter) made sushi out of Tannar'ri with two D10 + 6 swords... What fun is that?? Once we killed a dragon on a team lvl of 7 or 8, but it was pure luck and amateurity of the DM. If I saw something like an avatar that wanted to kill me, I'd get the hell out of there.
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=darkred:13swjvar]Wow, Argoth, you really need to test drive an epic lvl pc. Once you have, you'll never want to play as anything else again. Some of those epic powers are awesome, like the spell [i:13swjvar]epic warding[/i:13swjvar]. It gives you massive damage resistance. :devil: [/color:13swjvar]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Maybe You're right, but it was still lots of funrasing my character from 1 to 13... When I met my first team mates in the Underdark, a kobold almost choped my head of (man I still wonder, why didn't the DM give me a higher lvl, I mean the charakter was a grown up male and the academy and all...) And my friends don't wan't to play it becouse we would have to fight wars for a little bit of adrenailn... oh I've fallen asleap... Anyway noone wants to play epic characters becouse it was boring already wheb a 15 lvl fighter choped everything critically on 13 - 20... and that was only the first sword. Call me a traitor, but that's why I like Warhammer so much. It's much more fun. You have to think much more on Your character, what would that proud elf really do, or that a goblin can cut Your leg of if Your not protected by armour at any time... But it's only me. I don't like it too easy.
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

And BTW, I can still remember what slaughter I made in NWN in HotU. At lvl 40, that was something. :devil:
Velve
Regular

Post by Velve »

I like low teens , they are my favorite lvls. You start getting nice spells for casters, but you still arn't invincible and there is still the threat of something actualy killing you.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Unen_Stealthfoot":zmnb6orp][color=darkred:zmnb6orp]Wow, Argoth, you really need to test drive an epic lvl pc. Once you have, you'll never want to play as anything else again. Some of those epic powers are awesome, like the spell [i:zmnb6orp]epic warding[/i:zmnb6orp]. It gives you massive damage resistance. :devil: [/color:zmnb6orp][/quote:zmnb6orp]
I have and while it sure can be fun I feel that a well-done low-level campaign will beat out on a (well-done) high-level campaign any time.

For one, the more powerful these characters become the harder it is to suspend disbelief and the more powerful characters become the more outlandish the threats become.

It's probably just a matter of taste, but I'm getting very tired of over-the-top powerful cahracters (I mean, is there any game in which you [i:zmnb6orp]don't[/i:zmnb6orp] eventually get the power equal to a god?).

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Shir'le You're big. That's what I mean, after a while You get so powerful, that You're almost equel to a god. That's why I like Warhammer so much. It's much more fun... I can still remember a mage that foungd some gloves... He put them on, and went for to piss... He soon found out, that the gloves were cursed, and they stay on the first thing the character lays his hands on... Can You imagine that?? And there was no way to get that off. :devil: Well anyway, a very high level character in WFRP can still be killed, or he cen get his limbs cut off by a goblin. There's no way You can get the kind power to make history. All the things You do, are just some adventures. Well if You really want to make history, You have to rise Your character and that takes a long, long and long time so You can get plesure from playing one CH for the next I'd say five Years...
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=darkred:1xsd71pc]Oh, definitely. I really want to try playing an epic lvl pc in a mod that's actually an epic challenge. That would be cool, going around killing the avatars of Lolth, Grummsh, Cyric, Vhearun, etc.[/color:1xsd71pc]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

I know that many would want to gert a little nig of the gods world but I don't know if killing avatars is so much fun... You'd have to be very VERY powerfull. I'd leave the gods to themselves. It's not like killing a strong priest killing an avatar. I still sceptic about it.