Deities less powerful than their priests?

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Alak Xiltyn
Regular

Post by Alak Xiltyn »

[quote="Argoth":1a8r5di1] That's what I mean, after a while You get so powerful, that You're almost equel to a god.[/quote:1a8r5di1]

I've actually played a character from level 1 to 53, it took a year and a half of playing almost every other night and it ended in a second time of troubles at the end of which a number of the PCs that survived had the chance to become gods themselves (we REALLY had to work for it)

The trick with epic campaigns is having a DM thats a good storyteller, while thats true of every game the higher the level the more important it becomes, in short at epic levels roleplaying is as much a challenge to the DM as the PCs and if you're power gaming you might as well just go through the epic book and throw random monsters at your party.
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

Oh, you don't have to be *THAT* powerfull.

ll it takes is a group of six people wich consist of a mad Necromancer, a hippie barbarian, a hot head fighter/werewolf, a histerical priest, and a half-orc bard who has such a beutifull voice, that it could make the Tasmanian Devil cry.

And as an added bonus, a lazy cousin who can't get his hands of a playboy he caries under his shirt.

Clearly, it's really not that difficult. :angel:
:3
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

ha ha:)
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=darkred:3dapftl2]Let me guess, you're theone with the lazy cousin, right?[/color:3dapftl2]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

Hey, I don't carry Playboy's under my shirt!

*kicks them under the bed*
*whistels*
:3
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

I wonder what would Freud say, if he found out about Rooky? First agresion, then "color magazines"... ;)
Vendrin
Maid
Maid

Post by Vendrin »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":2h5gq9x6][quote="Unen_Stealthfoot":2h5gq9x6][color=darkred:2h5gq9x6]So, on the dieties own home plane, if you found said diety, he/she/it would be much more powerful than their avatar, right?[/color:2h5gq9x6][/quote:2h5gq9x6]

Under current rules the deity is at least twice the level of their Avatar. It is more debatable as if they are more powerful on their home plane (they can be actualy be killed on their own plane, but not restricted from travel in full power to other planes and be deathless).[/quote:2h5gq9x6]

I believe on their home plane a diety can shape it whatever they will, including being able to kill with a thought any non deity.
"What does God want? Does God want goodness or the choice of goodness? Is a man who chooses evil perhaps in some way better than a man who has good imposed upon him?"
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote:2aijymgc]Godly Realm

Each deity of rank 1 or higher has a location that serves as a workplace, personal residence, audience chamber, and sometimes as a retreat or fortress. A deity is at its most powerful within its godly realm. A deity has at least modest control over the environment within its realm, controlling the temperature and minor elements of the environment. The radius of this control is a function of the deity’s rank and whether the realm is located on an Outer Plane or some other plane (including the Material Plane).

Within this area, the deity can set any temperature that is normal for the plane where the realm is located (for the Material Plane, any temperature from -20ºF to 120ºF), and fill the area with scents and sounds as the deity sees fit. Sounds can be no louder than one hundred humans could make, but not intelligible speech or harmful sound. The deity’s ability to create scents is similar. Deities of rank 6 or higher can create the sounds of intelligible speech. A demigod or lesser deity can erect buildings and alter the landscape, but must do so through its own labor, through magic, or through its divine powers. A deity of rank 6 or higher not only has control over the environment, but also controls links to the Astral Plane. Manipulating a realm’s astral links renders teleportation and similar effects useless within the realm. The deity can designate certain locales within the realm where astral links remain intact. Likewise, the deity can block off the realm from planar portals or designate locations where portals are possible. A deity of rank 11 or higher can also apply the enhanced magic or impeded magic trait to up to four groups of spells (schools, domains, or spells with the same descriptor). The enhanced magic trait enables a metamagic feat to be applied to a group of spells without requiring higher-level spell slots. Many deities apply the enhanced magic trait to their domain spells, making them maximized (as the Maximize Spell feat) within the boundaries of their realm. The impeded magic trait doesn’t affect the deity’s spells and spell-like abilities.

In addition, a deity of rank 11 or higher can erect buildings as desired and alter terrain within ten miles to become any terrain type found on the Material Plane. These buildings and alterations are manifestations of the deity’s control over the realm.

A greater deity (rank 16 or higher) also can perform any one of the following acts:

* Change or apply a gravity trait within the realm.
* Change or apply an elemental or energy trait within the realm.
* Change or apply a time trait within the realm.
* Apply the limited magic trait to a particular school, domain, or spell descriptor within the area, preventing such spells and spell-like abilities from functioning. The greater deity’s own spells and spell-like abilities are not limited by these restrictions.

Once a deity sets the conditions in its realm, they are permanent, though the deity can change them. As a standard action, the deity can specify a new environmental condition. The change gradually takes effect over the next 10 minutes. Changing astral links, planar traits, or terrain requires more effort, and the deity must labor for a year and a day to change them. During this time, the deity must spend 8 hours a day on the project. During the remaining 16 hours of each day, the deity can perform any action it desires, so long as it remains within the realm. The astral links, planar traits, and terrain remain unchanged until the labor is complete. [/quote:2aijymgc]

So they might not be able to kill with a word, but odds are very good they can use [i:2aijymgc] Power Word Kill [/i:2aijymgc] at will.
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=darkred:r2amhkmy]@ Bhearn's last remark:[/color:r2amhkmy] :D
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Avin Jingzu
Maid
Maid

Post by Avin Jingzu »

Umm... I inherited a lv 60 character from my mom and got my ass handed to me by my semi crazy friend who used a lv 1 mage, if you want information on god abilities and god like characters just ask me.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Avin Jingzu":1lqfigdc]Umm... I inherited a lv 60 character from my mom and got my ass handed to me by my semi crazy friend who used a lv 1 mage, if you want information on god abilities and god like characters just ask me.[/quote:1lqfigdc]

Hi there, down a little lower is a thread with your name on it. the OOC thread.

As for a 1st level mage that shoud have one spell slot, it tends to be hard for a 60 level to be defeated if the 60th level is well understood.
Avin Jingzu
Maid
Maid

Post by Avin Jingzu »

not if he went first because i was an idiot...he used a conjuration cantrip that he cleared with my mom and put a stone in my brain killing me instantly..yeah yeah idiotic i know but he thought outside the box!