Male clerics of Eilistraee. Why not?

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Miz'rin Fey
Maid
Maid

Male clerics of Eilistraee. Why not?

Post by Miz'rin Fey »

(Forgive any errors in the text - I'm not very proficient in english.)

Well...
this is a question that bugs me and brings me very trouble when i'm roleplaying my cleric in campaings, trying to convince males, especially vhaerunites, to join the faith.
Eilistraee defends gender equality.... ok!
Eilistraee wants to take the drow to the word above... ok!
Eilistraee wants Lolth dead... ok!
Eilistraee is good and blablabla... ok!

But why don't she accept males in the clergy?

My particular interpretation is because like Selune (or even the Great Mother of the orcs), she is a feminine deity linked to... well... feminine issues like nurturing and, quoted from Ed in on topic, fertility so males would have nothing to do with it.

However, this can be a problem when she is saw (seeing, which is the correct use?) as the only salvation for the drow race. For a male, what is the diference from jumping from a mathriachy (lolth) to another (eilistraee)? Because, take a look at the Promenade. Tha males may be treated with respect, but the females of the clergy that rules all. That appears very clear in the Lady Penitent series.
There are no reports of male clerics of Eilistraee, when there are evidences on the official books (Faiths and Pantheons) that female clerics of Vhaerun exist (quoted: "His clergy consists almost exclusively of males and practices passive opposition (...)").

So, friends, give me a hand. What my character should say to a vhaerunite who accuses the clergy of eilistraee of being a degenerated copy of lolth, travested in good?
Despite being evil and backstabing, they have an excellent and killing point. And by this point of view, Vhaerun appears to be much more democratic than Eilistraee.

If not evil and all races conqueror, I think my drow would convert to his faith. Maybe a CN follower, why not? rsrs

I'm waintg your answers and points of view.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

She does accept males according to Ed Greenwood.

You can read some about his view in one of the Ed speaks threads.

Some did not like change dance, however that effect only required once for a fairly short duration.
Miz'rin Fey
Maid
Maid

Post by Miz'rin Fey »

I've just found that topic. Thanks for helping.