WotC has lied to us!

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Bergeth'fryn
Regular

WotC has lied to us!

Post by Bergeth'fryn »

I was bored the other day so i started thinking. The date they gave for the death of Eilistraee is in the time of the Spellplague. around the same time as the events of the book Ghost King. Obviously the spellplague would have to change the rules of magic even in that locality therefore the book Ascendency of the Last is WRONG! And even if wizards can come up with an explanation there is no reason the Eilistraee can't come back the same way Lolth did. In the book Queen of Spiders Lolth is killed in her home plane by a band of adventurers, obviously lethal as she is shredded then magically pwned. EILISTRAEE LIVES IN FAERUN! My theory is that after absorbing Vhaeruan she became too clever by half and is hiding. I know im a super-nerd but oh-well.
Back home, we used to eat those things you call nightmares.
T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

Post by T'risstree Helviiryn »

Just popped in to check up on things before I take off on vacation and saw this topic.
It's pretty quiet around here at the moment? Is everyone on vacation?

WotC made sure that their bets were open when Eilistraee was killed at the end of that last book <I won't say the name 'cause I hated it >:( >

Things to consider:

1 - Ed Greenwood has stated clearly and on many occassions that nothing is dead forevere in FR

2 - at the end of the book, Correllon blocked Lloth from taking Eilistraee's realm. So what does that mean? That he knows that his most cherished daughter will one day return to assume her rightful place? I think so.

3 - If her realm is still there, that means that her followers still go there when they die. Where else would they go?

4 - WotC nuked the FR time line to make a complete break from 3E D&D. They wanted 4E to be a new game in a setting that was familiar but no longer saddled with all the lore and baggage from the last 20 years. >:( It was a big mistake considering the reaction of a lot of D&D fans. Meh...by nuking the realms with the spellplague and fastfwd'ing 100 years ahead, they could take over control from Ed Greenwood and make the realms their own. How is this relevent? They know that Eilistraee and drow ARE still popular. Drizzt books continue to sell well and I'm sure there are plenty of people who post on the forums at WotC asking for the drow to come back. That means that they can bring out a "new" product and novel line which will neatly fit in with their changes. Its a cold hearted business choice, nothing more. I'd bet a $100 bucks that they'll do this in a year or so, probably through the D&D insider.

My guess will be that some major adventuers will go on some huge quest which will lead to the resurection of Eilistraee. And then of course you'll have to buy the novel and new suppliment/campaign/module to fit that in with your 4E D&D FR campaign. Clever ain't it?

I live in hope that she will return one day :)
L'''' ghefna i''''dol ulu doera natha wael zhah talinth dosstan mzild bekea taga byrren
clicky2cme
Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind
Resident

Post by Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind »

Honestly, I consider 4e to be. . . well, a lot of things and in very strong wording; an exercise in whoring out an integral part on my childhood to the MMO crowd for a fraction of what it's worth is my usual response, but suffice to say D&D is pretty much dead to me as of 4.0 and will remain a memory of the enjoyable, if horribly unbalanced 3.5 that I yet hope will outsell 4.0 once the MMO lot realise that an actual MMO is in fact much better gaming and return to their computers (I figure this will often be the first time they try to initiate a grapple action).

Well, anyway. What I mean to say is that it's not important to put so much emphasis on canon here; the game's pretty unplayable without severe houseruling anyway. Elistaree lives, because it simply isn't enough of a world if she doesn't.
Zekafae
Champion

Post by Zekafae »

[quote="Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind":1i2wgkqu]Honestly, I consider 4e to be. . . well, a lot of things and in very strong wording; an exercise in whoring out an integral part on my childhood to the MMO crowd for a fraction of what it's worth is my usual response, but suffice to say D&D is pretty much dead to me as of 4.0 and will remain a memory of the enjoyable, if horribly unbalanced 3.5 that I yet hope will outsell 4.0 once the MMO lot realise that an actual MMO is in fact much better gaming and return to their computers (I figure this will often be the first time they try to initiate a grapple action).

Well, anyway. What I mean to say is that it's not important to put so much emphasis on canon here; the game's pretty unplayable without severe houseruling anyway. Elistaree lives, because it simply isn't enough of a world if she doesn't.[/quote:1i2wgkqu]

They have done the same with the World of Darkness, Vampire sucks, werewolf is abyssmal, mage gets a boost, changeling has become awesome from what i heard... basically things get completely jacked up to the point it's not worth playing.

On the DnD side, I think they did the proverbial kick to the junk to Gygax when he died. Granted oh yes 4th edition is whole new this and that, they make it idiot friendly by streamlining everything cause you know.. people can no longer do anything after playing MMO's like Warcraft. They can't think.. they need the "MMO" feeling. Seriously? I think the real dnd players will stick to 3.5, and if they DO use 4.0 it's sticking to rulesets blah blah blah but stories continue. Same world and such, and as mentioned nothing dies forever.

That said, IF IF I was somehow drug into playing 4.0 I fully intend to find a cheap means to keep my character's story going and a quest to bring Eilistraee back, if the DM doesn't like it well it's his fault for bringing me in. Now if that's his plans I'm all for it.
Site, story being redone
Stats added story still in works

http://dragcave.net/user/Zekafae (click please?)

Twilight vampires are the vampire equivalent of Pluto...
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

I'm sticking by my original plan and pretending that the whole War of the Spider Queen and Lady Penitent time line never happened. Plain and simply because I don't want to accept that we got such a bullcrap kick to the junk to begin with.

"Oh, you want me to become a brown-skinned dark elf who follows Corellon now?"

"That's right! Isn't it great!?"

"Well what about Drizzt?"

"Hmm? Oh. Oh! Well, you know, he wasn't born with the blood corruption so he wasn't affected at all. Salvatore is such a genius!"

"...fuck you."

My feelings more or less in a nutshell.

The Lady lives because as far as I'm concerned she never died.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Zekafae
Champion

Post by Zekafae »

LMAO, that's more or less my feelings on it.

I'm sure Salvatore's mildly displeased with how things were going. How is he going to continue anything really? When the public(those who basically pay his salary) as a whole it seems highly dislike how Faerun turned out.

Here is my thoughts on everything, if we all do this we'll all be happier. " I reject your reality and substitute my own." as said in mythbusters. Now... I need to scrounge change up and hunt down more 3.5 books.. still another 200 bucks worth to go until I get most of what i want.
Site, story being redone

Bergeth'fryn
Regular

Post by Bergeth'fryn »

If only finding 3.5 material was that easy! It's basically all been bought up where i am! My suggestion is look online or try downloading the pdf files.
Back home, we used to eat those things you call nightmares.
Zekafae
Champion

Post by Zekafae »

I'm more interested in drow bits for 3.5. I already spent like.. 100 or so lol. I have some pdf files but I want hard physical copies you know? Ideally I'd love to have as much of the 3.5 stuff as you can buy. I can hit the local bookstore on facebook and order, but problem is... I lack enough money to keep it up. >.<
Site, story being redone

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

WotC can not lie about Canon, because they follow the same rule TSR did - was printed information changes all prior information.
There however can remain a complaint that WotC did not use a continuity Editor and hired a writer that did not really know much about Eilistraee at all.

However for the most of us, last time I knew, we agree that Save game never occurred. *shrugs*
Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind
Resident

Post by Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind »

"Mage gets a boost?" There are people who would kill you for saying this in old country. NWoD is. . . well, the new books are good, the old ones are terrible, basically. Promethians, brilliant. Geists are bitchin' awesome. All the old races got slapped about pretty badly and Mage more than any of them. Changeling is. . . well, different.

I've played a 4.0 campaign, well to of them actually, and It's like. . . you know when you're at the dentist's and he fingers around your mouth with those latex gloves and your mouth feels like that for ages? Like that. It's just empty, sterile and most of all [i:1pgt18en]safe.[/i:1pgt18en] Safe, like the game is golding your precious little hand and walking you slowly down the path and carrying you over the sharp bits. I want fantasy, adventure, I want my escapism to be an escape not just yet more banality. 4.0 is like eating sterilised boiled rice. You can feel it there in your mouth but it's just devoid of anything other than form.

Buy yourself some Pathfinder books, I say. Don't just ignore 4.0, show them what you REALLY want. Shove the competition in their faces. Pathfinder is excellent, it addresses a lot of big issues and (in case you like to know this stuff) is made by the [i:1pgt18en]Dragon Magazine's[/i:1pgt18en] publishers. [b:1pgt18en]And it's easier to find than 3.5 since it's still in print.[/b:1pgt18en]

And don't worry about D&D, it survived one money-grubbing management who hated their players, it can and will survive another. This is, in the grand scheme of things, not a threat.
Rhei Lor'akris
Regular

Post by Rhei Lor'akris »

I switched over to Pathfinder as well, although in a OGL SRD sense (don't have cash to buy any of their books right now).

I'm already seeing Pathfinder books show up at my city's local Borders, and am quite glad that there is a good alternative now.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

Eilistraee is not dead, because she did not fade away, dissolve, wither, or even get lost as did those who were killed by her or Lolth. Corellon simply took her place after she "vanished" (I think she is hiding in his shadow, a la Shar and Mask). Besides, her realm is still there. It's just to darned convenient, I believe. She could still return....
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

Eilistraee can't be dead, because you say so.

Just as for me, Kiaransalee is still a goddess.

The whole $th Edn/Sellplague/Lardy Penitent thing is crap. I could be more eloquent, I could write much more but frankly it isn't worth my time or yours. The only good thing about the whole exercise is how much money I've saved since this happened.

I've also had fun discovering other settings, like Arcanis. I've looked at Pathfinder and bought the rulebook, but Golarion hasn't grabbed my imagination, although I wish them well.

As for Wazacks of the Cost they can repent at their leisure.
[img:2vimwk2u]http://pics.livejournal.com/jaegamer/pi ... r/s320x240[/img:2vimwk2u]
Sabal Do'Ghym
Maid
Maid

Post by Sabal Do'Ghym »

Ilythiirin zhal'la neitar khal jalbol [i:20bwq0a3]xunlar[/i:20bwq0a3] ...
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Kiaransalyn":1q97f3rg]The only good thing about the whole exercise is how much money I've saved since this happened.[/quote:1q97f3rg]
Hmm, so very true. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee