WotC has lied to us!

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind
Resident

Post by Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind »

Rhei Lor'akris
Regular

Post by Rhei Lor'akris »

As Adam from the Myth Busters said...

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"

;)
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

One thing, stated so many times before, but considering the issue, it never gets bored. We don't accept 4ed. We prefer 3.5ed. We love Eilistraee being alive, and as circumstance allows it so, we go for it.
Zylys Starharvest
Maid
Maid

Eilistraee, Drow, and the 4th Edition

Post by Zylys Starharvest »

[quote="Zekafae":3cuakkv3]On the DnD side, I think they did the proverbial kick to the junk to Gygax when he died. Granted oh yes 4th edition is whole new this and that, they make it idiot friendly by streamlining everything cause you know.. people can no longer do anything after playing MMO's like Warcraft. They can't think.. they need the "MMO" feeling. Seriously? I think the real dnd players will stick to 3.5, and if they DO use 4.0 it's sticking to rulesets blah blah blah but stories continue. Same world and such, and as mentioned nothing dies forever. [/quote:3cuakkv3]

I just... never liked [i:3cuakkv3]any[/i:3cuakkv3] of the changes 4ed has done to the many things I loved and intrigued me with the features of previous editions.

For instance, I always loved the concept of the tiefling and the Eladrin. But in 4ed they cheapened all the creative background involving the two that could've served as potent character creation. Before, the tiefling were descendants of devils and demons through trysts with humans, but now they're pretty much mutated humans from years spent dealing with the devils? Really?

And Eladrin were once these celestial elves, elite and superb in every meaning of the word. They pretty much were to elves what Devas were to humans. But in 4ed, they've been blinked out of existence with only the mere definition of "Eladrin" being meshed in with High Elves!

Then to hack down the number of drow deities on the cutting block! To change their very nature and purpose in life that we fell head-over-hells in love with. Y'know, I never understood that. Elistraee's purpose was to "redeem" the Drow to their previous state as dark elves, and whoever didn't seek her are forever under Lolth's curse... But what does that say, then, about any and all Drow born [i:3cuakkv3]after[/i:3cuakkv3] the fact? Are they forever doomed to remain cursed and cut short because they missed their chance?

Even adult drow, for that matter. So what, adult drow cannot experience an epiphany and denounce their faith in Lolth anymore because there is no more Drow deity of good? I just find that too limiting, unfair, and overall preposterous...

I can maybe-somewhat see what The Wizards were trying to do, hack down all the little different fractions and sects and whatnot - but that's what I [i:3cuakkv3][b:3cuakkv3]loved[/b:3cuakkv3][/i:3cuakkv3] about 2nd and 3.5ed - the variety! All the variety and the options to build up an elaborate and rich foundation for your character! That's the beauty of D&D, not just the combat and hit points, but mainly (and more importantly) the storytelling! And 4ed, to me, seemed to have completely missed the point of that, trying to morph their campaigns into a mental version of your average MMORPGs!

The game play just sounds so... hollow and soulless. Where's the heart, passion, and thrill in a creative adventure and unique companions? :/
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Supposedly the answer to that question is that all the drow who could be redeemed, were, and that any born from here on will never have so much as a conscience.

"But what about Drizzt?"

"Well he wasn't born with the curse to begin with!"

"...what?"

"I know, Salvatore is a genius, right?"

"F@#&% you."

I'm holding onto my Eilistraee pendant anyway, thank you very much.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

^ What she said. I think the "born evil by default" arguement is a load of crap, in 4th ed. What's to stop them from having an epiphany and turning good? Lack of free will? Pfft. Whatever.
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Kirintha the Fair
Regular

Post by Kirintha the Fair »

Fake Vhauren: hears high priests, and goes "YAY I CAN GO KILL EILISTRAEE NOW!!!"

Real Vhauren: hears high priests and goes "Uhmmmn I really appreciate it, but I was told if I touched her, I wouldnt live to see another day, and im sure correlon will be on the spot within a minute to behead me, .... uhmmn I really appreciate the trouble you went to... here let me refund your spell levels."
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

Somebody at WotC must have missed the memo on that one....
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Kirintha the Fair
Regular

Post by Kirintha the Fair »

oh and

Fake Correlon "HAHA lloth, I managed to cheat you out of a handful of drow souls., and sense the Illythari have been reborn, appearently, She isnt needed anymore anyway. oh and now Im going to sit down and play a board game with you"

Real Correlon: "MY daughter, my only obedient, and sweet child... sweet eilistraee, rest in peace... Aurashnee, I should have destroyed you that day of your attempted coup, I cant bring elistraee back, but I can avenge her you WRETCHED THING!" waves hand, lloth goes out in a puff of smoke screeching.