Drow Food

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Drow Food

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

I was doing some back ground research and found this little nugget of lore:

[b:ee34oo6f]Some types of Drow Foods found in the Underdark[/b:ee34oo6f][/size:ee34oo6f]

[color=blue:ee34oo6f]There is a dish which closely resembling Haggis. It consists of Rothe stomach, soaked in salt water for a minimum of 12 hours and then stuffed with a mixture of rothe liver & heart meat, suet and diced mushrooms. It is then baked and served in the form of thick slices. The drow serve this dish either highly spiced or with a tangy sauce.

Rothe meat would also be used to make sausages & jerky (for travel rations). Rothe blood would be collected as a base for sauces, or to make puddings Rothe hooves could be boiled down to create gelatine In addition to the food value, the drow would likely have slaves collect rothe dung to fuel cooking fires.

General staples of the drow diet include:

mushroom/fungus flour: used to make pastry and noodles
mushroom-based tofu: a meat-substitute that is a staple of "middle-class" drow.
lizard eggs
rats: usually eaten only by the lower class, this is beneath the dignity of the wealthy and noble houses.
snails
lichen
fish: grown in ponds in or near the drow cities, or netted from underground rivers.
mollusks
insects: particularly cave crickets. Usually served fried with a spicy mushroom sauce, or carmelized as a desert (along the lines of honey roast peanuts)
Subterranean Puffer fish: a dangerous delicacy enjoyed by the drow. If prepared incorrectly it can prove fatal (this is simply a variation of the Japanese dish) [/color:ee34oo6f]

If you have any other links or pieces of relevent lore, please add them in this thread :)

L'amith dosst gotar[/size:ee34oo6f]
;)
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Zekafae
Champion

Post by Zekafae »

I'm sure there is more fauna and flora in the Underdark than what is listed there. I would see some sort of shellfish are a delicacy there much like lobster is a very nice meal.. plus clams, oysters ect ect. And some of them such as oysters have pearls which could be used to add to the attire of Drow, since last I knew they like to look good, and pearls look good.
Site, story being redone
Stats added story still in works

http://dragcave.net/user/Zekafae (click please?)

Twilight vampires are the vampire equivalent of Pluto...
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Shellfish and mollusks I think would fall into the same general category.

Also that do eat a variety of fish, since there ARE rivers and huge underground lakes to be found that are no doubt packed with an abundance of aquatic life.

I will, however, give them much credit for learning how to make a lot of things we would find repulsive into exquisite delicacies. Hey, they're just like the French!
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

[quote="Narsia Ny'Dhun":omphxq7k] Hey, they're just like the French![/quote:omphxq7k]

Well if that is the case then this would be a good representation of the modern Drow military eh, sont je le droit alors mes petits gâteaux de miel doux chéris?

Mon deiu!

[img:omphxq7k]http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com ... render.jpg[/img:omphxq7k]
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

Post by Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar »

rich houses have imported foods from the surface also...
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
PhaeShalee
Maid
Maid

Post by PhaeShalee »

I always pictured the drow having a lot of raw, or borderline raw foods, such as sashimi. Most cooked foods require too much staring into the flames of cook-fires, something that they couldn't handle. Better off drow with slaves could have more cooked food, but I bet that varying types of raw, or bearly cooked fish would be traditional.
(Holy Liberator as optional core class, basically CG paladin)
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

In most of my games, I've pictured the drow as eating a diet similar to anyone else really. Most drow live in cities and most cities have thriving markets. Given the high level of magic in drow cities, most things could be preserved/frozen on its trip to the market. Also many of the richer houses could use their mages and clerics to create areas/planes for growing food.

With most drow cities, the problem isn't light (necessary for photosynthesis) since permanent light spells could be cast. Water could also be created.
The problem would be good soil. This could perhaps be created by magic though.

So although, many players think of drow 'enjoying' a tasty lichen salad. I think any drow rich enough could buy whatever she or he liked in the Bazaar, assuming it was in stock. Or any drow powerful enough could create the conditions to grow food.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

Don't forget, there are all kinds of Underdark creatures that can be turned into food- cave fishers, (for meat and perhaps as a sort of jelly or soup), giant toads, various bats and worms (some cave-dwelling worms glow, too!) and algea. Also, good soil would not be hard to find, since giant mushrooms would break up and enrich the earth where they grow.

For one of my stories, I had them using cave fisher jelly as a sauce for other foods. And there is also refference to mushroom wine, Spiderblood wine, and various other beverages. One could probably even argue for using other large monsters for food- darkmantles, purple worms (could feed a LOT of drow!!) and hook horrors, are just a few. And some slave races would make a decent meal, in a pinch. DotU mentioned that they have no particular aversion to cannibalism, except perhaps to their own race, but would have no qualms eating "lesser" races, that is to say- everyone else!!
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
zellak
Maid
Maid

Post by zellak »

Nice thread... plenty of stuff to use here in my PnP campaign. :)

Thanks.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

More food stuff. Found this over at CK.

Two specific Underdark beverages off the top of my head:-

Glowwine -- which is the house specialty in the Glowing Goblet. 'Tis an amber vintage that glows with faerie fire for approx. an hour or more if the wine is stirred with a dweomered item, like a magical dagger or a wand for example.

And my current favourite...

The "Great Elixir." It's actually just a cloudy liquid of guano-tainted materials that the patrons of the Great Elixir tavern [that I mentioned above] try to sell to gullible visitors as a drink with magical properties.

Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

Post by Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar »

http://fantasyrole.org/group_page.asp?id=169&gid=1498
http://fantasyrole.org/group_page.asp?id=169&gid=1499

we compiled this list for RP Inn, and where we got some of the things, i cant remember. but thought i'd share some of the foods and drinks:

Sullage: made from Tur-pah leaves, suls, kes, and anything else around.
Sa-Tassna: (its a meat, prolly rothe based)
Tarsk: a salty pork-like meat often eaten with a soft vegetable.
Parsits: (dont remember)
Wingfish Liver: a tiny delicate blue, four-spined wingfish served with clustered, black tiny eggs of the white grunt.
Kes: a salty, blue secondary root of the Kes shrub often baked.
sul porridge or grain porridge: seasoned with exotic herbs. A hand-rack of small vials and pots of seasonings, spices and condiments will be brought with the porridge.
Vulo: cubes of choice meats may be cooked and served with a variety of sauces for dipping
Vegetarian Sausage: made of tabuk, bosk, tarsk or Venis and rosted over an open fire.
Sweetmeats: candied or crystallized fruits.
Tastas: also known as stick candies, are soft, rounded, succulent candies, usually covered with a coating of syrup or fudge, and molasses.

Milk: cow, goat, or camel. or plant based (soy, Venis, Marnosk or bos)
Talon: a reddish milk with a strong, salty taste as it has a lot of ferrous sulphate.
[b:2wt1fig4]Death’s Head:[/b:2wt1fig4] a powerful wine, made by the drow from a poisonous mushroom found in the underdark. It is black, has a slightly earthy smell, and is one of the most sought after beverages in the world. a strong intoxicant and extremely addictive acting more like a drug than an alcoholic beverage .
Bazi tea: herbal tea/wine mixed served hot with various sugars and milks that may be added.
Black Wine: a coffee-like drink made from beans grown deep in the mountains. It is very strong and bitter. It is traditionally served very hot, with yellow or white sugars and powdered bosk milk, in tiny cups.
Rence Beer:a beer steeped, boiled and fermented from crushed seeds and the whitish pith of the rence plant
Falarian wine: an extremely rare wine.
Kal-da: an alcoholic drink that is served scalding and made of diluted Ka-la-na wine, mixed with citrus juices and stinging spices.
[b:2wt1fig4]Orbb Jhinrae[/b:2wt1fig4]: Sweetly tart beverage made from secretion of sacred spiders, texture is a thick surupy like and is a dark red in color.
Pagar-Sa-Tarna: a fermented brew made from Sa-Tarna grain and usually spiced.
Sul Paga: alcoholic drink made from suls, a vegetable like a potato simular to strong vodka or moonshine. It is clear, almost tasteless, and very strong and served at room temperature.
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Cipherof3vil
Maid
Maid

Post by Cipherof3vil »

Don't forget that Drow aren't afraid to eat sentient beings. Such as Goblins, Elves, ect.
They just more frequently find use for them as slaves to do other work instead.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Yeah, I mentioned earlier about the cannibalism of other races.

Cipherof3vil
Maid
Maid

Post by Cipherof3vil »

I didn't notice.. oh well.