The Promenade

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":1fmcmwv8][quote="Talwyn Aureliano":1fmcmwv8]

Are WoTC really serious in leaving out Elistraee from 4E? :eek:[/quote:1fmcmwv8]

FR design team has indicated the Realms had too many deities, from about 150 they went to about 30. Many deities are gone about 120 of them.[/quote:1fmcmwv8]

Yeah, I;ve been browsing over at Candlekeep for the past few hours, catching up on the unfolding trainwreck that is 4E FR >:(

By all that is sacred! This is such a crappy decision that these head-up-arse WoTC people have made, it beggers belief.

FR was designed by Ed Greenwood to be this vast rolling place with a multitude of deities much like the anciet world. Now we get soime halfwits who claim to have the game at heart but really all they are doing is corporatising the game, in other words downsizing the FR pantheon to make it "streamlined" and "more efficient" which is code for "we don't give a flying f*ck about what core fans of FR feel, we own the rights and we can do what we want, so screw you! and buy our new fancy game while you're at it".

That's what it is folks, a new game with D&D slapped onto the front in the hope that fanboys & girls will slavishly buy this load of drivel while they laugh all the way to the bank lighting up cigars with $100 notes while snorting coke of the breasts of some $1000 per hour call girl.

4E is not D&D.

It is a new game pure and simple.

WoTC have been manueouvering to wipe out EG's creation, cutting down a mighty oak and hacking it back to a sickly bush that lacks imagination. Although I have yet to read the final Lady Penitant book [which has been pretty average fiction so far I must say, Lisa Smedman, you suck!] it's painfully obvious she's been given a brief from those wankers on high at WoTC to kill off Eilistraee in her canon "sanctioned" trilogy. What a brilliant business decision that was. Kill off one of their great draw cards, stories that relate to the drow and specifically the dark lady. Who ever made that call must be up their with the dickhead TV exec who worked at Fox and said that Desperate Housewives wouldn't be a hit show and cancelled Firefly as well.

I know Ed Greenwood has come out and said wait & see, it'll be ok but that's because he has to say that sort of thing in order to have ANY hope of preserving what's left of his creation. He is like a father who see's his child with a gun to its head and is powerless to do anything but co-operate.
Quite frankly I hope WoTC crash and burn due to terrible sales and a fan base revolt. Those wankers deserve to go down for screwing over a perfectly viable fantasy setting because they wanted to improve their bottom line.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Dostrealt
Maid
Maid

Post by Dostrealt »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":oqjr14p7]FR design team has indicated the Realms had too many deities, from about 150 they went to about 30. Many deities are gone about 120 of them.[/quote:oqjr14p7]

Hmmm. The 3rd edition core rules changed Greyhawk into "Greyhawk Lite". This sounds very much like "Forgotten Realms Lite". I liked the 3rd edition rules and the d20 System, but thought the Greyhawk Lite thing was the most pointless part of 3rd edition. :roll:

It looks like they have repeated the same mistake and made a Forgotten Realms Lite that is going to be as incomplete as Greyhawk Lite was. If this is a taste of the new 3 book sets I think I'm going to be disapointed by [b:oqjr14p7]every[/b:oqjr14p7] setting that gets the 4th edition "make under". :roll:
Alaric Darkrose
Regular

Post by Alaric Darkrose »

[quote="Talwyn Aureliano":3q0e6hux]
Yeah, I;ve been browsing over at Candlekeep for the past few hours, catching up on the unfolding trainwreck that is 4E FR >:(

By all that is sacred! This is such a crappy decision that these head-up-arse WoTC people have made, it beggers belief.

FR was designed by Ed Greenwood to be this vast rolling place with a multitude of deities much like the anciet world. Now we get soime halfwits who claim to have the game at heart but really all they are doing is corporatising the game, in other words downsizing the FR pantheon to make it "streamlined" and "more efficient" which is code for "we don't give a flying f*ck about what core fans of FR feel, we own the rights and we can do what we want, so screw you! and buy our new fancy game while you're at it".

That's what it is folks, a new game with D&D slapped onto the front in the hope that fanboys & girls will slavishly buy this load of drivel while they laugh all the way to the bank lighting up cigars with $100 notes while snorting coke of the breasts of some $1000 per hour call girl.

4E is not D&D.

It is a new game pure and simple.

WoTC have been manueouvering to wipe out EG's creation, cutting down a mighty oak and hacking it back to a sickly bush that lacks imagination. Although I have yet to read the final Lady Penitant book [which has been pretty average fiction so far I must say, Lisa Smedman, you suck!] it's painfully obvious she's been given a brief from those wankers on high at WoTC to kill off Eilistraee in her canon "sanctioned" trilogy. What a brilliant business decision that was. Kill off one of their great draw cards, stories that relate to the drow and specifically the dark lady. Who ever made that call must be up their with the dickhead TV exec who worked at Fox and said that Desperate Housewives wouldn't be a hit show and cancelled Firefly as well.

I know Ed Greenwood has come out and said wait & see, it'll be ok but that's because he has to say that sort of thing in order to have ANY hope of preserving what's left of his creation. He is like a father who see's his child with a gun to its head and is powerless to do anything but co-operate.
Quite frankly I hope WoTC crash and burn due to terrible sales and a fan base revolt. Those wankers deserve to go down for screwing over a perfectly viable fantasy setting because they wanted to improve their bottom line.[/quote:3q0e6hux]

Tell us how you really feel.

To be fair to Ms. Smedman(or Mrs? Not sure how to properly address her), I'm not entirely sure her heart was into Lady Penitent. After reading Extinction (her book in the War of the Spider Queen series) and then reading Lady Penitent, the latter didn't seem to have the same gusto as the former. Please keep in mind that WotC is a huge corporation. And when someone signs a deal with a huge corporation, they make damn sure they get their pound of flesh.

Which leads me to WotC themselves. Keep in mind that D&D was originaly owned by TSR, Gary Gygax's company. WotC bought out TSR and them proceeded to bury them. When all of TSR's rabid D&D fans (all 9 of them. Okay, bad time for a joke) found out, they revolted. WotC's response was to bring it back, but also take credit for "saving" the game. Also, WotC is based out of Renton, Washington...which is essentially a suburb of Seattle. And being from the area, I can tell you that Seattle is where all of our cunts/assholes/tools/chodes reside.

But the point remains: for the betterment of Eilistraee: f*** WotC.
"There are those who think, and those who dream. I, for one, refuse to choose between the two." -Liriel Baenre.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

[quote:1rx19r8v]Tell us how you really feel. [/quote:1rx19r8v]

I thought I did? ;) :p

[quote:1rx19r8v]WotC is based out of Renton, Washington...which is essentially a suburb of Seattle. And being from the area, I can tell you that Seattle is where all of our cunts/assholes/tools/chodes reside. [/quote:1rx19r8v] 8) Hahahahaha :D
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Thalon Mercrow
Resident

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

ah good to see you again Talwyn!

oh yes and ver.4+LIQUDE ANGER

(inside joke bounse points if you can gusses the showwherre its from)
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

I'm gonna go with Alaric on this one. Lisa may have been the one who canonically pulled the trigger on Eilistraee, but WotC put the gun in her hand and put another gun to her head and told her to fire before they took her out first and found someone else to do their dirty work for them. This was inevitable, so blaming the author who wrote the books isn't really fair.

Like Alaric pointed out, compared to Extinction which I personally enjoyed most out of that depressing series, this trilogy lacked all the passion, effort and heart that Lisa displayed in that ONE book. So clearly she wasn't the least bit happy with what she had to do. I mean, the fact that she left that opening for the readers to interpret as the Lady's possible survival, despite Wizard's confirming that she's toast, shows that she didn't want Eilistraee to die any more than any of us did.

So yeah, I wouldn't blame Lisa for fulfilling the terms of her contract.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch