The Promenade

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

The Promenade

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote:k1viopj6]Due to the secrecy of the priestesses (born of their very real fears for security, in a hostile Underdark close to Skullport, where worshippers of Vhaeraun and others who might hate or desire to eliminate or at least raid them are often seen), no one can be certain about how many folk dwell in the Promenade. Laeral judged not more than 170 lay worshippers (that is, not including the actual clergy) at most, and the number was generally closer to 60 or so, which is about what it might be now.
“Now” meaning before [NDA].
You’re not looking at a community of Eilistraee as much as you’re looking at an abbey or monastery that just happens to be underground, so my answer can’t hope to address any trend or process within Eilstraeean communities in general. Most such communities have grown in population and then declined again more recently, as worshippers have spread out, no longer feeling as threatened and therefore no longer banding together so strongly. However, [NDA] may bring about [NDA].
In one sense, NDAs prevent me from giving any really useful answer, and in another, the question is too broad to receive a useful answer. It’s like trying to understand how real world Christian communities work/evolve: there are so many different communities, on different continents and following different sorts of Christianity, that the communities can be as different as chalk and cheese. The same follows for Eilistraee: despite the fact that she can personally appear to faithful to express her will and her tenets (and so avoid a lot of the sectarian violence or disputes that mar our real world), she can still be worshipped in very different ways, and her followers dwell in all manner of communities. The Realms is polytheistic, remember; scribes won’t get the “real feel” of the Realms so long as they persist in thinking of the majority of Realms inhabitants (as opposed to just the clergy, fantatics, and the minority who dwell in lands dominated by one or just a few faiths) as worshipping “One True God.” Everybody believes in, and worships (if only in appeasement) LOTS of gods.[/quote:k1viopj6]
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Nice info, and quite maddening too. I want to know what’s under those “[NDA]” tapes. ;)

Where did you get that from? I’m assuming it’s Ed in Candlekeep? Might help providing a link to the source in the future. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Always a complaint, yes at candlekeep ( http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.a ... ichpage=40 ) the only place Ed is known to chanel messages other then articles prrsented at WotC.

The NDAs in any answer are always a problem but it appears there will be a population drop.
Lowther, James
Maid
Maid

Post by Lowther, James »

This is off topic I know but who is this Ed? Seen his name mentioned a few times now in a few different places but have no idea who he is.
Shayera
Maid
Maid

Post by Shayera »

[quote="Lowther, James":8d1di8on]Who is this Ed?[/quote:8d1di8on]

Ed Greenwood - he "invented" the Forgotten Realms.
Not to try is to admit defeat!

It was curiousity that killed the cat - anonymous
But it got nine lives! - Shayera
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

More important Ed invented Eilistraee *wink*
Dostrealt
Maid
Maid

Post by Dostrealt »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":ia2bmh7n]Always a complaint, yes at candlekeep ( http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.a ... ichpage=40 ) the only place Ed is known to chanel messages other then articles prrsented at WotC.

The NDAs in any answer are always a problem but it appears there will be a population drop.[/quote:ia2bmh7n]

Candlekeep have reorganised their forum and it now has a subdomain instead of a directory. The new URL is this:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?T ... ichpage=40
Last edited by Dostrealt on Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it strange that Ed seems to be avoiding mentioning anything about Eilistraee directly when he makes these little speeches?
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Dostrealt
Maid
Maid

Post by Dostrealt »

[quote="Narsia Ny'Dhun":1nayusxf]Is it just me, or does anyone else find it strange that Ed seems to be avoiding mentioning anything about Eilistraee directly when he makes these little speeches?[/quote:1nayusxf]

[b:1nayusxf]Everyone[/b:1nayusxf] on Candlekeep seems to talk in a [i:1nayusxf]slightly[/i:1nayusxf] odd way. And Ed doesn't talk directly to [b:1nayusxf]us[/b:1nayusxf]. Instead a woman known as The Hooded One lets us know what he has said. Personally, I think that THO [b:1nayusxf]is[/b:1nayusxf] Ed in disguise.

As for the lack of Eilistraee comments, this thread was a 2006 thread. I checked the 2008 thread and only one questioner mentioned Eilistraee. Maybe if more people surf over and ask useful questions, Ed will reveal more things about Eilistraee.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Narsia Ny'Dhun":2fm8efu4]Is it just me, or does anyone else find it strange that Ed seems to be avoiding mentioning anything about Eilistraee directly when he makes these little speeches?[/quote:2fm8efu4]

Perhaps a bit starnge but not much, the quote I posted was from 2006. Also the same year that WotC decided to do 4th Edition. Ed by contract is limited in what he can say in many cases, I believe this just one of them.
Dostrealt
Maid
Maid

Post by Dostrealt »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":2uz4fpm2]Perhaps a bit starnge but not much, the quote I posted was from 2006. Also the same year that WotC decided to do 4th Edition. Ed by contract is limited in what he can say in many cases, I believe this just one of them.[/quote:2uz4fpm2]

Now that 4th edition is out, shouldn't these NDAs be cancelled?

Even if Eilistraee is [b:2uz4fpm2]officially[/b:2uz4fpm2] gone from 4th edition, I can't see a reason why WotC would want to stop him from talking about 3rd edition stuff.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Dostrealt":3fnc11sg][quote="Bhaern Quel":3fnc11sg]Perhaps a bit starnge but not much, the quote I posted was from 2006. Also the same year that WotC decided to do 4th Edition. Ed by contract is limited in what he can say in many cases, I believe this just one of them.[/quote:3fnc11sg]

Even if Eilistraee is [b:3fnc11sg]officially[/b:3fnc11sg] gone from 4th edition, I can't see a reason why WotC would want to stop him from talking about 3rd edition stuff.[/quote:3fnc11sg]

NDAs are lifted when they are lifted.

Ed is writing a history realms novel and might be asked to write more. In many ways I suspect Ed did not like many changes, however a long time ago he sold that right.

IAE if Ed (which by contract gets to write one novel a year) has lore that WotC believes will sell well, they can keep that lore under NDA for many decades.
Dostrealt
Maid
Maid

Post by Dostrealt »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":2gr05ntb]NDAs are lifted when they are lifted.

Ed is writing a history realms novel and might be asked to write more. In many ways I suspect Ed did not like many changes, however a long time ago he sold that right.

IAE if Ed (which by contract gets to write one novel a year) has lore that WotC believes will sell well, they can keep that lore under NDA for many decades.[/quote:2gr05ntb]

Thanks for the information.

BTW: You are officially the first person to talk to me, so hello! :))
Last edited by Dostrealt on Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":1fg31hbi][quote="Dostrealt":1fg31hbi][quote="Bhaern Quel":1fg31hbi]Perhaps a bit starnge but not much, the quote I posted was from 2006. Also the same year that WotC decided to do 4th Edition. Ed by contract is limited in what he can say in many cases, I believe this just one of them.[/quote:1fg31hbi]

Even if Eilistraee is [b:1fg31hbi]officially[/b:1fg31hbi] gone from 4th edition, I can't see a reason why WotC would want to stop him from talking about 3rd edition stuff.[/quote:1fg31hbi]

NDAs are lifted when they are lifted.

IAE if Ed (which by contract gets to write one novel a year) has lore that WotC believes will sell well, they can keep that lore under NDA for many decades.[/quote:1fg31hbi]

Are WoTC really serious in leaving out Elistraee from 4E? :eek:
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Talwyn Aureliano":mmcl0j5y]

Are WoTC really serious in leaving out Elistraee from 4E? :eek:[/quote:mmcl0j5y]

FR design team has indicated the Realms had too many deities, from about 150 they went to about 30. Many deities are gone about 120 of them.