The High Hunt

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

The High Hunt

Post by Bhaern Quel »

The once a month hunting of Evil or dangerous creatures. It has interested me in many ways. Interpretations of when such occur in some canon bother's me.

I have played a few with others and applied my best understand to it. As I see it no date certain is required. it makes little sense to me that all Priestesses on the 30th would lead a hunt against closet target.

My view has been that the Goddess calls once a month on all Clerics to lead the attack when they become aware of a danger. The followers clearly follow the call, at least many of them - I can not see any House/Realm sending everyone else away from the House or community.

I see each Priestess having the call at times Eilistraee makes it.

One of my first High Hunts I played, was during a formal reception of of a visiting House, the High Priestess striped off her gown and seized her blades. Of which many of the House followed in part because the call was made, but of course to protect her. In that hunt the leading Priestess was felled (injured, not killed) by the beast, one of the followers killed the beast).

This struck me as a proper use of High Hunt, called on to deal with a danger once a month as opposed to being called on one day of the Month to find the greatest danger.

Comments, opposing views?
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I agree. Eilistraee is, among other things, a Chaotic deity and not held to set timetables or specific structures. I've always considered that things such as the High Hunt, but also things such as The Run and all that, are held whenever it feels right to have them. That could mean multiple times a month or sometimes none for months in a row.

I've always seen the "once a month" more as an average than a specific timetable to be kept.

Besides, any chance to run naked through the forest... ;)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

I'm not even very knowledgeable, but I gotta agree that it does feel like the times are pretty random. Just by the very nature of the freedom worship of Eilistraee represents, being somewhat wild and random in their activities seems a staple.

That being said, even if once a month is the standard it probably stands to reason that these events would certainly not take place on the same nights each month. Just, as Shir'le said, I think they'd just do it when it felt right.

I don't know about the idea of them being 'called' to the Hunt, though. As much as it is about following the tenets of the dogma to hunt evil and such, wouldn't partaking in the Hunt when it felt right to do so rather than when called on to do so be far more a genuine tribute to the Lady?

Of course there is also the matter of urgency to take into account. If they're aware of danger I don't think they would simply wait until they 'felt like it' before eliminating the threat.

That's about all I got in the way of rebuttal.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well as I said, it makes no sense that on something like the new moon, all go out to find the nearest danger. As for all followers hunting Evil they do that all the time, the High Hunt however calls for the Priestess to lead a hunt with out armor at all. Running naked though the woods clearly can be fun, however catching a troll with claws and bite with no defense except blade is not good tactics.

The one High Hunt I ran, Billae went down under the troll, Clea, one of the followers, is the one that killed the breast. Another of the party checked for injuries and Billea only had minor damage. She is still High Priestess of House Quel.

The High Hunt is a dangerous event because of the rules, how it comes about. The Run, though not as emotional an event, clearly has its own problem. At least with the High Hunt, others follow where you lead, The Run however you are on your own trying to make friends with people that are often inclines to kill first and ask questions later.
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

I think the running around naked is, again, about theology and offering a tribute to the goddess. Followers emulate her and act as her agents in the mortal world, cutting down said evil as she would herself. And if they fall...well, honestly, I don't think they really take that into consideration. If they fall, they do so in Her name and will presumably be honored for it.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":2t0p7e6g]The one High Hunt I ran, Billae went down under the troll, Clea, one of the followers, is the one that killed the [u:2t0p7e6g]breast[/u:2t0p7e6g].[/quote:2t0p7e6g]
Freudian slip? ;)

Seriously though. Being 'called' I don't interpret as Eilistraee from up high saying "alright people, today you lot are going hunting", but more a matter of things feeling right and the opportunity being there.

As for the whole hunting naked thing, I think that next to the religious significance it's also a matter that the style of fighting in which Eilistraeens tend to be trained lends itself better to mobility and dodging and doesn't rely on armor quite as much. Just think of the Sword Dancer prestige class which prefers light armor. Of course there is the whole thing with adventurers tending to rely a lot on the magic all their various pieces of equipment give, but that seems more an oddity in the rules to me.

There's no doubt of course that it is dangerous. But that too I think is part of it. They're still drow after all who kind of live for danger. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":2o3ro77t]
Freudian slip? ;)

Seriously though. Being 'called' I don't interpret as Eilistraee from up high saying "alright people, today you lot are going hunting", but more a matter of things feeling right and the opportunity being there.

[/quote:2o3ro77t]

Oh yes, Billea got a feeling that the danger was near. It was not a direct call from Eilistraee. Some members of the House did expect her to take her dress off some because it had been a few seven days since the last one.

I treated the call more of a 6th sense, she getting the feeling something dangerous was near.
I suspect some High Hunts might be a result of news recieved, a community raided by Lolthian Drow, or other things.
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":bq6tx2s8]There's no doubt of course that it is dangerous. But that too I think is part of it. They're still drow after all who kind of live for danger. :)[/quote:bq6tx2s8]

Yes, we are all a bunch of adrenaline junkies, aren't we? ;)
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Would Qilue lead a Hunt, should something appear in the Promenade's vicinity?

The question is purely pragmatical. I'l leading a campaign where Argoth's soul was sucked from his body and hidden somewhere (the deck of many things... what a great thing) and the only entity that can 'put it back' is a deity, here Eilistraee. Normal prayers don't work (a DM variation) so the entire company secures his body so that it doesn't decompose over the course of the adventure.

Now they have to get to the Promenade and ask Qilue for help. (a lot of incredible things happen, they receive help) but ... a deep dragon shows up and now: should I take this to an almost epic level with Qilue leading the hunt against a very powerful dragon, or a lesser dragon and only the 'team' deals with it? In exchange the team learns how to take off the curses bestowed upon them by 'the deck' and rescue Argoth's soul.

Any comments will prove useful.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Argoth":1zb6fdt5]Would Qilue lead a Hunt, should something appear in the Promenade's vicinity?

[/quote:1zb6fdt5]

Well this calls for opinion. Yes she leads a High Hunt or joins one about every month. In someways it is hard to picture each Priestess leading a different High Hunt each day. There are many in the Promenade that at times could lead to a High Hunt every eve. I can not see her expecting her sisters leading a High Hunt once a month and somehow claiming she should not. As leader of the faith, she would tend to set the example.

There however are points to remember, the High Hunt is a one night or evening ritual with one of three outcomes.
1) Catch and kill, burn if evil give away if food to some in need (Not sure what is done with non Evil, but also not fit as food).
2) Catch and be defeated, some if not all injured or dead.
3) Fail to catch the target within period of time the hunt lasts (I find it hard to picture the entire time of a High Hunt not over 8 hours, likely shorter).

Something like a deep dragon would likely not be caught in that period of time that a High Hunt tends to last.
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

I see. Didn't regard time an issue. Thanks. :)
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

Post by Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar »

deck of many things huh? lol...
i posted the site where u can get all of um if need. that campaign sounds interesting tho...

i dont know much about all this clerical stuff, but what yall say sounds good, and her being chaotic...who cares about set times...lol
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind
Resident

Post by Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind »

One of my characters was in the city for the campaign, and marked it by playing a day-long game of hide and seek with all the children in the poor quarter; this also helped him learn a lot of the good places to hide/escape through/watch for ambush. Being chaotic, I would say it's up to the individual's interpretation given his or her circumstances.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Argoth":3flga9jw]I see. Didn't regard time an issue. Thanks. :)[/quote:3flga9jw]

Well there is no direct guidance on how long the High Hunt will last, I just do not seeing it being a campaign. Clerics do wear armour when expecting battle.

3rd [quote:3flga9jw]The High Hunt, celebrated at least once each season, is a nocturnal pursuit of a dangerous beast or monster, led by clerics of Eilistraee. By tradition, the hunters may use any bladed weapons and wear anything—except the clerics, who go naked, each carrying only a single sword. If the quarry is slain, the celebrants chant prayers and perform a circle dance to the deity.[/quote:3flga9jw]

Opps, I though I saw once a month, there again Ed has many High Hunts of one kind or another.

2nd [quote:3flga9jw]The High Hunt is celebrated at least once in each of the four seasons:
a night-time hunt of a dangerous beast or monster, led by priests of
Eilistraee. By tradition, the hunters may use any bladed weapons, and
wear anything-except the priests, who go naked, carrying only a single
sword. If the quarry is slain, a chanted prayer and circle dance to
the goddess is held.
[/quote:3flga9jw]

2nd did include this as well. [quote:3flga9jw]Holy Days/Important Ceremonies: The customary worship to the Dark
Maiden is a hunt, followed by a feast and dancing, and a Circle of
Song, in which the worshipers sit and dance by turns in a circle, each
one in succession leading a song. If possible, this is done out of
doors, in a wooded area, on a moonlit night. Daily prayers are sung
whenever possible, and priests try to lead others in a song or two
every evening, even if no formal ritual is held.
[/quote:3flga9jw]

So one might do a hunt any time, just High Hunt is naked?
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

In that case only a priestess leading the hunt is naked and only during the High Hunt. Interesting.