new domain

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

thelegend76
Maid
Maid

new domain

Post by thelegend76 »

Hi there everybody! I'm a newbie here and just wanted to say hi and thank you for a place for all things Eilistraee. Now my question is and it might be in the wrong place, I apologize for that.

Would Eilistraee consider Hope to be in her portfolio or more precisely the Hope domain to be able to fall within her portfolio? I'm making a male Drow cleric of Eilistraee and wanted to ask my DM to allow him access to the Drow and Hope domains for game-play sake.

Does she hope for the redemption of the Drow? Also that might be another Domain that would apply is the Redemption domain, if it exsists?

Thanks again and I'll keep everyone updated on how it turns out.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well I was not aware Hope was a Domain so would need to know more about it. My reaction though to the word is I do not believe likely Eilistraee does not Hope, but rather knows. There of course is hope for saving those from evil, however that is not based on hope that they will redeem themselves.
thelegend76
Maid
Maid

Post by thelegend76 »

The Hope Domain is from Dragon #340, it comes from the Order of the Eternal Light, but they state that it could be applied to any sun, courage or some good-aligned war deities. Now I understand that Eilistraee doesn't have any of those domains, but I thought it would be worth asking. I agree with you that redemption is a key ideal for Eilistraee, but there doesn't seem to be a domain for that. Its too bad to, because that would fit in nicely with a lot of people's gameplay. Anyways thanks for all your help.

I'm already pushing the boundries of my DM's patience by playing a male cleric of Eilistraee anyways. We've also played into the game that I'm a bit of a maverick, in that I wouldn't spend time as a female, and preach that the sexes should be equal, so I'm not well liked by the female dominated clergy, but my hatred of Llothe and her corruption of my people is unmatched. LOL My quests in life are to redeem as many drow as possible and to destroy Lloth and her demon underlings.
Thalon Mercrow
Resident

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

[quote="thelegend76":dn8ft86a] destroy Lloth and her demon underlings.[/quote:dn8ft86a]

reach for the moon kid rech for the moon....

but seruoisly welcome if you have any questions just ask (if i cant help you then chances are our estemed priestess can :D )
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

A Hope domain sounds intriguing. One has to be careful though; just because a theme can be justified for a deity doesn't mean that it fits as a domain for the deity.

For example, take the [url=http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin ... t:bzkayump]Craft[/url:bzkayump] domain; one could argue that since crafting is an Eilistraeen theme (namely the crafting of swords as well as the 'crafting' of food) that it fits as a domain. But it doesn't. The spells in the domain have nothing to do with Eilistraeen crafting and while Eilistraee promotes certain types of crafting she isn't a deity of crafting in general.

Similar, I think, with Hope. She certainly offers hope (which isn't quite the same as having hope, Bhaern ;) ), but of a specific type: hope of redemption. Most other kinds of hope don't really fit her as easily. If that makes sense.

A domain of Redemption I can see, a domain of Acceptance I could see as well. But as far as I'm aware neither of those are directly a domain. One can find these in other domains though; Redemption one could argue is part of the Good domain and Acceptance is part of the Charm domain. Similarly one could argue that Hope is part of the Elf domain for the Eilistraeen drow.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":3ty294rt]

Similar, I think, with Hope. She certainly offers hope (which isn't quite the same as having hope, Bhaern ;) ), but of a specific type: hope of redemption. Most other kinds of hope don't really fit her as easily. If that makes sense.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le[/quote:3ty294rt]

She took exile to seek and provide hope of return/redemption to all those forced underground. It strikes me that she, herself, had hope to be able to achieve her goal. She took banishment in order to offer an option to the Drow.

I though do tend to agree that as a Domain, clearly hope is not part of her message and dogma.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":3d5un0z3]She took exile to seek and provide hope of return/redemption to all those forced underground. It strikes me that she, herself, had hope to be able to achieve her goal. She took banishment in order to offer an option to the Drow.[/quote:3d5un0z3]
Fair enough. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee