Demiplane of sorrow.

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Serath En'Sendaran
Maid
Maid

Post by Serath En'Sendaran »

It's one thing, though, to take prisioners. Offer them a chance to repent and redeem themselves, and if the offer is refused, to return them to thier chosen rewards, for the safety of the community.

It's another thing entirely, though, to force those same prisioners into changing thier belief structure, by magical means.
In the first case, the offer is made, but I do not see the prisioners being treated poorly, or forced into redemption. I do not see Eilistraeens (as a whole, I may be wrong on individual basis) being the kind to run a conversion gulaug, which this Demiplane of Sorrw concept seems to be.

Redemption is something that is fought for. The battlefield for conversion is not a physical one, but one that is held in the heart, mind and soul. To win that battle, no matter what the end, through false methods, makes the victory hollow, and the change temporary.

If that were the case, all that would be needed would be a good enchanter amongst the faithful, and compeled conversions all around.

Eilistraee would then become no better than her mother in this case.
"Plynn ussta che, plynn ussta thac'zil,
plynn uns'aa vel'klar Usstan shlubnaut fre'sla,
Flamgra l'thac'zil lu'caghresst l'qu'mados,
dos shlubnaut plynn l'anulo dal uns'aa."
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I must say, Serath, you’re making a lot of sense and I quite agree. :)

Just one more thought to consider though. What if you don’t see it so much as coercion and forcing someone to change, but more like curing a disease?

For instance, I quite like the Silverhair Knight (or Sin Eaters of Eilistraee) prestige class in one of the Dragon magazines. The idea is that you take a person’s sins on yourself, cleansing them of their evil taint (and changing their alignment to neutral).

Of course, it’s then still up to them whether they want to become good or not. ;)

Just something for consideration.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Serath En'Sendaran
Maid
Maid

Post by Serath En'Sendaran »

That situation is a little different.
I happen to like the Knights, myself. Haven't had much chance to use them (I can't find a person willing to play an Eilie that won't kill another drow), but I love the concept. I use them as NPCs on occasion, though.
In this case, though, the Sin Eater absolves said Drow of previous transgressions, giving that Drow an oppertunity to make a [i:3n1j1730]choice[/i:3n1j1730] free of the sins that colored their view previously. The become Nuetral, but are not compelled to become good. Their previous blemishes are wiped away, and they can begin with a fresh start.
Being given an oppertunity to start over, free of the shackles of Lolth, is different than releasing them from one form of religious opression, only to enforce your own religous dogma on them.
A Silverhaired Knight would be happy if the drow chose to follow Sharess, and would not stop them from returning to Lolth (despite the sorrow they would feel).
"Plynn ussta che, plynn ussta thac'zil,
plynn uns'aa vel'klar Usstan shlubnaut fre'sla,
Flamgra l'thac'zil lu'caghresst l'qu'mados,
dos shlubnaut plynn l'anulo dal uns'aa."
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=darkred:39ov86do]Given the right incentive anyone will do anything, although it might not work with actually changing ethics, morals or religious beliefs. However, I think that, you can change anyone's beliefs if the correct method is used on the correct person. Similarly, everyone learns differently.

As for the demi-plane of Sorrow, wasn't there a demi-plane of Sorrow in the NWN Witch's Wake module?[/color:39ov86do]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination