Demiplane of sorrow.

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Kirintha the Fair
Regular

Demiplane of sorrow.

Post by Kirintha the Fair »

MY idea is simple... back before or around the crown wars, e.g. when the church of eilistraee was a little stronger, some priestesses wanted a way to deal with prisoners that did not involve killing them, but at the same time allowed them to be kept from ever hurting the sisters their males, or anyone else ever again. so they asked their most power wizards to create a cage that would allow them to humanely, but permanently trap dangerous prisoners.

Well from that idea I came up with this.

Demiplane of sorrow.

Normal Gravity.

Normal time.

Suppresed magic.

Major good dominant

The place is filled with fog which surrounds it.

Theirs enough fruit trees and animals to allow the prisoners some subsitnence but no usable metals.

the essential idea is the environments designed to make the prisoners in question start to question their lives, and consider other options.

while at the same time it does not force conversions., as their allowed to live out their lives holding to the worship of lloth if they so wish.

Those who actively pursue, or even consider the worship of eilistraee, however, will be tested, by some of the celestials who oversee the plane to this day, confronting the drow in question with vice after vice.

Possibly a test like the Spider slaying Hallistra did.

but some more examples might be (disguising the nature of the test heavily of course)

a foolish person who they could gain something or another by exploiting.

A injured person who might take some time to tend.

A Faerie in the aformentioned situation.

their of course well aware of the motivations of their charges and quite aware of what they are planning, and show little patience for those who are putting on pretense just in order to escape.

after passing a number of tests, they'll be gently (and not quite understanding it themselves) onto some quest or another, and it will take them them to the chapel of shame. Which looks decidedly gothic and a little spooky by the standards of a eilistraeean temple.

Once they enter they'll meet a matronly priestess (actualy one of the aforementioned celestials in disguise)

their taught the actual tenets of the Eilistraeean faith, and given a atonement.

at the end of this they will will not really aware of the moment themselves will materialize, for lack of a better way of putting it somewhere where eilistraee thinks her new convert would serve her best... usualy just outiside the patrol radius of a Temple... but sometimes near a battle where the priestess might be needed. (Eilistraee is reluctant to send a priestess who has only just converted into any type of hardship ridden mission however since their faith is still young... and somewhat weak, however sincere.

Any more ideas for this nifty little project?

like it hate it think its stupid?

Im really looking for more features I can add.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Nay I think the idea is flawed.

A trap the soul on whatever manner does not fit well will a nuturing mother. We also have the Silverhair Knights to try to redemn the misguided. The Dark Maiden can be a little depressed at times, by the evil many Drow do. I however do not see her supporting inflicting long (or short) imprisonment of her children that commot evil, until they decide to be good. The act it self would in my view be both Lawful and Evil, something Lady Silverhair is npt.

There is a theory out there that jail is more ecil then death for a crime, what you appear to propose is more evil then good to me.
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

Yea, I'd have to agree with Bhaern on this. I think, giventhe choice of killing someone, or trapping them for eternity in a place like you mentioned, the followers of Eilistraee would kill them. It's quicker, it's more humane, they don't suffer for long (at least, not in this life).
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

Make a demiplane of Hot Dogs. That definately make them good :D

But I agree with the previous few posts. I doesn't suit Eilistraee. But then again she is a [b:1g2gwelx]Chaotic[/b:1g2gwelx] Good goddes.

Besides if someone really wanted to make a prison they'd probably go with something like Limbo, Pandemonium, Baator, or they'd just dump them in the Curst ( personal favorite).

Not many humanoids learn the nice way. A Demiplane of Sorrow, looks like a happy place without the fog. Tree of bright red fruits, and happy animals, and no usable metals? Come on. This is nothing personal and nothing offesnive to you, but it just doesn't sound or look like a place where you can nicely think of what you've done.

Maybe a better Demiplane would do it?

Demiplane Of Sorrow (borroved the name, sorry :-[ )

Time: Normal
Gravity: Normal (or you could make no gravity in certain places for certain prisoners)
Magic: What magic?!
Aligment: Good ([i:1g2gwelx]evil[/i:1g2gwelx] aligned creatures get very bad penalties)

Or something in the style. Make them depresed and miserable. They'll change soon enough.

Of course, this is completly anty-Eilistraee ;)
:3
Jubilee
Maid
Maid

Post by Jubilee »

This seriously reminds me of the Ghost trapper from Ghost Busters ..

Though just the name and theme reminds me of The Sorrow from Metal Gear Solid 3 .. that was a cool scene.
It is difficult for others to truly speak their heart or listen to it. The words often prove difficult, or they do not come at all - Brianna
Serath En'Sendaran
Maid
Maid

Post by Serath En'Sendaran »

I honestly cannot see Eilistraee supporting, condoning or even allowing the creation of a plane like this. First, it's cruel, which is something she is not. Second, the faith teaches redemption first, and if not redemption, then protect the innocent by removing them from this coil of existance.
Finally, there is a prison plane, though I don't have my Planar Handbook handy here at work, I think it is called Tartarus. (There are Tartarian dragons, that I know for sure)
It would be a redundent plan, and that would be very bad to create.
If there was any type of plane created by original Eilistraeens, it would most likely be a refuge, similar to the one Illmater has in Champions of Valor.
"Plynn ussta che, plynn ussta thac'zil,
plynn uns'aa vel'klar Usstan shlubnaut fre'sla,
Flamgra l'thac'zil lu'caghresst l'qu'mados,
dos shlubnaut plynn l'anulo dal uns'aa."
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

While not sure she, all praise her, would create a demi-plane at all, my best guess would be a plane of music, song and history. Evils so "invited" to such a plane would be asualted with messages of love, caring, see beauty, There of course would be protections in place of one kind or another. A game mechanic might be something like +10 or all checks and combat for good align, -10 on the same for all evil aligned.

A place where it clearly would seek to entice one evil at least away from such a path.
Jubilee
Maid
Maid

Post by Jubilee »

Why would she create a hell for evil? All a place like that'd do is piss em off .. hell -I- would be ready to tear something apart after an hour there.
It is difficult for others to truly speak their heart or listen to it. The words often prove difficult, or they do not come at all - Brianna
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Not sure if you are replying to me, but each person can have a different version of what Hell is.

One clearly could be held in a demi-plane that one would enjoy and others would detest.

I will repeat I do not believe Eilistraee would made a deni=plane holding cell. Just that if she did such a plane would be one that rewards good conduct and makes it very hard to achieve bad conduct.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":2rtfgz48]one that rewards good conduct and makes it very hard to achieve bad conduct.[/quote:2rtfgz48]
I'm not sure if that'd be a good idea. I mean, is it really good if doing so is really the only option you have?

Of course, it's an interesting question. How do you change someone's heart? How do you change someone from evil to good if they don't [i:2rtfgz48]want[/i:2rtfgz48] to change?

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

You can not change anyone that does not want to change, all one might try to do is set conditions on which one might consider change a benifit.

In the propsed demi-plane, no matter how it is setup, it becomes a learning ground.
How the learning ground is setup matters a lot as to what will occur after spending time there.

Locking creatures up, tends to earn resentment, sometimes those captive say the right things to get out.

There is no clear answer of how to achieve an alignment shift by holding an Evil captive, there are magical ways of doing this.

I would suspect Eilistraee would perfer a plane that encorages a charater to walk the good side , to test it out.

"Try it, you might like It."

A offered, enforced, rehabilitation offered that might not take.
Nedylene
Hero||Heroine

Post by Nedylene »

well on those lines, we could always borrow an idea from a canceled tv show...in buffy the vampire slayer these scientist guys put something in Spikes head that made him agonized by pain every time he did something evil, although I suppose that would be considered being evil in and of itself....lol...but it sure was funny...
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

How about the reverse? Doing good gives you warm, fuzzy feelings?

Doing good might get addictive though. :lol:

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Serath En'Sendaran
Maid
Maid

Post by Serath En'Sendaran »

The key aspect of the Dark Maiden, in regards to this, is alignment. Compulsion of any sort is generally considered Lawful (good, evil, doesn't matter), while the Moon Dancer is [i:s8ywcb2i]Chaotic [/i:s8ywcb2i]Good. This implies freedom. She would never condone the compulsion of anyone to be made good. In the Heroes of Valor book, one should read the description for the Darkmaiden's Leap. There's no compulsion involved, but it's the closest to a place to heal and convert, that I think is the real intent of what is being presented.
"Plynn ussta che, plynn ussta thac'zil,
plynn uns'aa vel'klar Usstan shlubnaut fre'sla,
Flamgra l'thac'zil lu'caghresst l'qu'mados,
dos shlubnaut plynn l'anulo dal uns'aa."
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Even Chaotic people do have Laws that are repected. There is the dogma of offer of aid and killing evil (or at least defeating it).

There is nothing in the dogma about not taking prisonors. In fact Drow are not to be killed unless they must be.
Capture and release is hardly an effective tactic to maintain safty of a community. Those released can come back with friends.

We have the Silverhair Knights seek to capture and turn from the darkside.

Also http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20021106a offers [quote:263anul4]Should an evil drow somehow use the portal, for instance by tagging along behind a good drow, the clerics deal with the interloper quickly by using hold person, daylight, and other nonlethal spells to bind and confuse their opponent. Once such an evil drow is captured, they are imprisoned by the clerics of Eilistraee to prevent them from harming the Dark Maiden's surface community. Should the evil drow present a mortal threat to the followers of Eilistraee or seem likely to escape, the clerics do not hesitate to employ more deadly force against their foe.[/quote:263anul4]

It follows that indeed there can be Eilistraeean prisons.