Deific Relationships

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Serath En'Sendaran
Maid
Maid

Deific Relationships

Post by Serath En'Sendaran »

Faerun... a place of magic and legend. Also a place with more gods than you can shake a bastard sword at... even with the Exotic Weapon Proficiency and Two Weapon Fighting feats.
I am wondering what peoples opinions are about the relationships of some of the gods of Faerun, more particularly as they relate to Eilistraee, that have not been clearly defined. Eilistraee, though a Drow goddess, is considered a lesser diety by Faerun standards. That implies to me that her followers stretch a bit farther than just a small group of Drow females.
That being the case, there are a number of other deities out there that share either the same or similar portfolio aspects. How do you think the priests (or priestess) relate and interact with one another?
A case in point, Eilistraee is the drow's moon goddess, but there's also Sehanine Moonbow and Selune. As things stand, I am under the impression that these three churches work together well. Is that because they are Drow, Elven, Human... or is it because they are Maid, Matron, Crone (Respectively)?
"Plynn ussta che, plynn ussta thac'zil,
plynn uns'aa vel'klar Usstan shlubnaut fre'sla,
Flamgra l'thac'zil lu'caghresst l'qu'mados,
dos shlubnaut plynn l'anulo dal uns'aa."
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well how do they relate, one place to start is with allies.

"ALLIES: Callarduaran Smoothhands, Haela Brightaxe,
Lurue, Mystra, the Seldarine, Selune"

The clergy of these clearly more inclined to work together well. Oh there can be some disputes over dogma, but in general it should be friendly disagreement as oposed to coming to blows.

Her followers are clearly more then just a few females, the Promenade which detail a population of major NPCs indicate a near 50 percent membership of followers of each gender, perhaps slightly more females then males are named (I would need to do a name count to be sure). Many at the Promenade appear to be rescued people that decided to stay around.

I do not believe Maid, Matron, Crone applies and even if it did the races should be in a different order. Ed did indicate that when he designed dieties he did not try to copy Earth religions, though clearly elements of Earth religions can be seen in many faiths. Sometimes he gets rid of some dieties, other times he takes parts of two religions and adds them together. Eilistraee High Hunt is somewhat simalar to the Cleltic Wild Hunt, but not on all four. There clearly are some elements of some sects of Wicca again not on all four and so on.
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=darkred:1cpp5g8x]I think it is nearly impossible to have so many dieties and not have some similarities to RW religions, especially if you include all of the archaic religions as well. Even not relating to dieties, FR has other similarities to myths. The three D's are (I think) the most obvious examples (Dragons, Demons, Devils). As for the dieties themselves, Helm, as an example, is a complete ripoff on (norse) Hiemdall, and there is an entire archaic FR pantheon (several of them having gotten themselves slain by Grumsh) that relates directly to the Egyptian pantheon. They even have the same names (remember in NWN the armor of Horus-Re).[/color:1cpp5g8x]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Serath En'Sendaran
Maid
Maid

In regards to the "complete ripoffs", there are some dieties that are what are refered to as "interloper" dieties. Tyr, the Mulhorandi and Unteric pantheons, are just a few. Some of them, though, such as Sharess who once was Bast adapt in unusual ways, becoming more Faerunian than before.
I think some of the similarities are also because of "universal" concepts. The Gaurdian of the Gate (Helm/ Hiemdal/ St. Peter)... the lying god and trickster(Cyric/ Loki/ Lucifier)... the hunteress (Eilistraee/ Miliki/ Artemis/ Nemesis) these are just a few of the universal concepts that one can find in almost every pantheonic structure. The fact is, there is more than one such structure that is followed.
According to Power of Faerun, the average Faerunian has a patron diety, paying lipservice to some or all of their pantheon (ie. a sailor worships Valkar, I think that's his name, the god of sailors, but also makes an offering to Umberlee, to ensure a safe voyage). I don't believe this to be true of Eilistraeen followers, though. I see that being an almost singular faith.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Eilistraee does not walk all that alone, she almost got her Nephew to turn to the good side for example. She however can not walk with the Evil Drow Dieties as things stand now. She does have close allies with some of the Elven dieties and of course shares a Chosen with a human deity.

In some ways though she is isolated as her main concern is for the Drow, though she welcomes other races. One reason I believe she does interact with other deities is the fact that she accepts humans, gnomes, goblins, etc. of good nature, thus would have to have conversations with good deities of those other races.
Serath En'Sendaran
Maid
Maid

Goblins of Eilistraee... :uh-huh: Please tell me they wear clothes during the Revels!!! :eek: ESPECIALLY the female! :lol:

I would be curious, to say the least to see more the the divine interconnections that must go on. We normally see plenty among the forces of evil in the books, but I would love to see a Mystra, Miliki, Lathander, Eilistraee, Selderine, Oghma, Kelemvor pow-wow. Of course, it might just end up looking like a bad episode of the Super Friends. :/
:p

Wash: F'sarn natha lasse wun l'su'aco! Kyorl lu'oh Usstan tiu!
Mal: Vel'bol 'udtila nindel hass'l?!?
Wash: F'sarn natha lasse wun l'su'aco! F'sarn natha lasse wun l'su'aco!
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Why not gobin Priestesses, they do have to be graceful and besides they will grow their hair long *wink*

As far as it goes I can see Eludecia also folloning Eilistraee if we get away from the no Paladin rule for many CG dieties.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20050824a for more information about Eludecia though I do not agree on what they did with her.
Serath En'Sendaran
Maid
Maid

It's an interesting character concept. Make her a Bard, and sign her up for the Revel Conga Line. :D
She'd fit right in. But, I think that would be a bit of powergaming to play a character like that. NPC one, though, and I'd be all for it. Hehehe...
Read the section about defending love in the Book of Exalted Deeds. The picture in that pook presents an interesting conudrum that I think most Eilies would deal with from time to time.
Nedylene
Hero||Heroine

Post by Nedylene »

[quote="Serath En'Sendaran":1te80gf0]Goblins of Eilistraee... :uh-huh: Please tell me they wear clothes during the Revels!!! :eek: ESPECIALLY the female! :lol:

I would be curious, to say the least to see more the the divine interconnections that must go on. We normally see plenty among the forces of evil in the books, but I would love to see a Mystra, Miliki, Lathander, Eilistraee, Selderine, Oghma, Kelemvor pow-wow. Of course, it might just end up looking like a bad episode of the Super Friends. :/
:p

Wash: F'sarn natha lasse wun l'su'aco! Kyorl lu'oh Usstan tiu!
Mal: Vel'bol 'udtila nindel hass'l?!?
Wash: F'sarn natha lasse wun l'su'aco! F'sarn natha lasse wun l'su'aco![/quote:1te80gf0]

In Liliths character..."MMM...goblins are tasty..." lol...sorry had to add that in.
Serath En'Sendaran
Maid
Maid

I ran a goblin once in a game. He was the party's scout, sniper and cook.
~Standing amongst a large group of kobolds the party has just killed, the goblin looks around at the carnage~ "You know... with a few mushrooms, this would make a real good stew."
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

A goblin priestess?? O please. Unless I see one, I'll neverbelieve it. I mean Eilistrea is a drow godess, a DROW godess... so drow like other drow. I know about Eilistrea liking other races and her hollowers are non-drow, but come on... It's hard for me to believe it. And even more dificult to accept it.
Zakharra
Maid
Maid

Post by Zakharra »

She does accept non drow priestesses, so it's possible..
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote:qqs1raig] At least once a year, clerics of Eilistraee undertake a Run. Those who are not drow blacken their bodies with natural dyes and oils, and all, drow or not, boil certain leaves and berries to make their hair silvery.[/quote:qqs1raig]

Clearly all clergy are not Drow.
Zakharra
Maid
Maid

Post by Zakharra »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":90c6yzky][quote:90c6yzky] At least once a year, clerics of Eilistraee undertake a Run. Those who are not drow blacken their bodies with natural dyes and oils, and all, drow or not, boil certain leaves and berries to make their hair silvery.[/quote:90c6yzky]

Clearly all clergy are not Drow.[/quote:90c6yzky]

*watches the black skinned and silver haired goblin priestess of Eilistraee take part in the Run*
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

GOblin Priestess?

Let me get the picture of my head......

No, no it's staying there....
:3