The Death of Eilistraee

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="NyssaRilynana":m3ss7l95]Random loophole for the Return of Eilistraee....bear with me here.

When a god/dess in Faerun dies or is killed or somehow ceases to exist they leave behind the dead power....the remnants of the powers they once had. Any being can channel this power and use it...perhaps to bring back the goddess in a daring sacrifice or something. :D[/quote:m3ss7l95]

Well in fantasy anything can occur, however it appears daddy stepped in and took her powers and preserved her domain. If you want to go with current canon there is no option. AO would not interfere in such a minor matter. Of course the all 500 or so of us could petition WotC to bring her back, but our numbers are small.

Canon can change with next book, however they really have not explained details of last changes to canon yet.
NyssaRilynana
Maid
Maid

Post by NyssaRilynana »

I personally hope they bring her back like they did Bane, but only sooner. I realize this would cause the Vhaurenites to petition for his return as well.
Alu xuil lil dumoasen del lil quar''valsharess
Go with the blessings of the goddess

~Nyssa Vasafay Rilynana~
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

With all the mechanics of 4ed I think its most likely a PC, a drow seeking redemption, or a group of Redeemed Drow epic destiny class characters may influence Corellon to let one of them take on the portfolio of Eilistraee and become the new goddess. There's only one thing missing, the character that would do this would have to be drow, most likely a female, and with Eilsitraee's disappearance her followers were redeemed, so they were drow no more in that respect. Now drow are defined by the deity that has control of their destiny.

I'm confused. I know I will not pay a cent for FR merchandise and will stick with 3.5 ed. I have more or less all the books I found interest in and that's when it ends. I will try to be up to date with 4ed canon, but it's not the same...
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

You're right about that. I can't imagine playing drow without her. She's sticking around for the long haul- at least in my realm!
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="NyssaRilynana":recrdyc5]I personally hope they bring her back like they did Bane, but only sooner. I realize this would cause the Vhaurenites to petition for his return as well.[/quote:recrdyc5]
To be honest, anything that they could do to bring her back would feel contrived and fake. And on top of that has a good chance of destroying a lot of what makes the deity interesting (for me the whole family mess between the three/four drow deities and Corellon makes for some interesting, twisted dynamics).

Instead I just hope that WotC turn back the whole mess and say "ok, we were stupid, let's just pretend none of that happened". So none of the drow deities (and Mystra) died to begin with and the drow characters (like Qilué) are still around as well. [i:recrdyc5]Then[/i:recrdyc5] they can take the setting in new, interesting directions from that ([i:recrdyc5]without[/i:recrdyc5] destroying what made the setting interesting to begin with).

For example, though I wasn't entirely happy with it, I found the Masked Lady to be an interesting concept that could, if treated right, give the goddess some additional depth.

Anyway, as it is, WotC has absolutely nothing to offer me anymore and instead I'll just keep to my own view of things, keep seeing/running the setting as I want to. And in addition I'm taking the goddess to other settings and such (like my Champions Online character is a drow follower of Eilistraee).

For me 'boycotting' WotC is simple to justify; why would I pay someone who doesn't have anything to offer me?

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

[quote="NyssaRilynana":64go22on]Random loophole for the Return of Eilistraee....bear with me here.

When a god/dess in Faerun dies or is killed or somehow ceases to exist they leave behind the dead power....the remnants of the powers they once had. Any being can channel this power and use it...perhaps to bring back the goddess in a daring sacrifice or something. :D[/quote:64go22on]

Here's another idea. She didn't leave behind a "dead power", but instead simply vanished- as in, disappeared. What if she's not dead at all? She was possessing Quilue, which, I belive would have made the bing Halisstra killed an avatar, and not the goddess herself. Only Ao can do that, as far as I know. As an example, look at Mystra in th Time of Troubles. When the former Mystra was destroyed, she had put MOST of her essence into Elmisnter, and even though he basically died, it did not desrtoy the goddess completely- she took a new form and body in Midnight. Eilistraee could have done the same thing.

Mousestalker
Maid
Maid

Post by Mousestalker »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":2kw58t9s]

Anyway, as it is, WotC has absolutely nothing to offer me anymore and instead I'll just keep to my own view of things, keep seeing/running the setting as I want to. And in addition I'm taking the goddess to other settings and such (like my Champions Online character is a drow follower of Eilistraee).[/quote:2kw58t9s]

At the risk of being driven from here in shame and dishonour, one of my many Champions online characters is Eilistraee (I'm an altaholic).

Her in game biography reads: "After being laid off from my pantheon by the slime weasels in Seattle, what else was there left for me to do but come to Millenium City, defeat insectoid invaders, turn off all the beacons and thwart the mad schemes of killer robots?"

She is one of the few single blade melee characters that I have seen.
Zekafae
Champion

Post by Zekafae »

(necroing old threads but I'm bored lol)

Now having played game a large portion of my life and come across many worlds in which the "gods" of the games were sometimes seen/used/whatever there is one thing that makes me wonder.

Now "true" immortality as in (using ooc references here for RL religion hear me out on this) God for example. God is "truly" immortal, as in he cannot die as he "always existed" I do not recall if such an entity always existed in dnd or not but anyways I move onto my next point. Immortality means you cannot die (as it says Eilistraee is immortal) Eternal life is you can live forever HOWEVER you can still die.( See lotr elves, 5000+ years of life only dieing in battle or Arwen whom remained by Aragorn's side until his death and about 300 years later her own)

Now our beloved Eilistraee is killed by her mother, ok fine but here is a loophole that I see that is plausible. In the Elder Scrolls universe there is a race of beings called the Daedra. Daedra can be "killed" however their souls return to the cauldren of Oblivion(so to speak) to be reborn and return as normal. Daedric Princes hold by the same principals. Even Umaril an Ayleid Sorcerer king whom was not Daedra made a pact with one of these princes and he too became Daedra in lifespan. Kill him and he returns to the Daedric prince's domain to be remade/reformed. I believe that if Eilistraee's domain remained untouched, her spirit/body would be slowly remade within her realm until such time she may come back.

Now I don't know anything about 4e, but if somehow 3.5 ed characters could be "transferred" or carried into this new level then I could see it like this. Those whom followed Eilistraee are saved and remade into Drow's Former selves the Dark elves. Those whom follow the Darker Deities IE Lolth remain the dark hearted Drow. In that I believe that through the "love and devotion" of these followers Eilistraee could and most likely would return in time. As the love for their goddess and savior has brought them back, and in turn the same devotion brings their goddess back. It is like anything, when a "god" looses faith they become weaker if you think about it.

I am sure that there are many dnd players (enough to matter to Wizards) who play drow and want to see Eilistraee back may see the Goddess make a return. I know that no matter the case, my drow (when he is "officially" a follower of Eilistraee. As in fully indoctrinated) will never forget and forever Worship her even if she does perish. I believe that it is safe to say that for all who follow her, if it was not for her, they would be nothing but a wretch or worse.
Site, story being redone
Stats added story still in works

http://dragcave.net/user/Zekafae (click please?)

Twilight vampires are the vampire equivalent of Pluto...
Adian Novar
Champion

Re: The Death of Eilistraee

Post by Adian Novar »

Me, I just ignore her death and keep right on going. I didn't like the series and some of its implications, so I don't include it in my canon.

Simple enough solution.
Rainbow Prism
Regular

Post by Rainbow Prism »

Seriously? Why not refuse using DnD rules at all?

For my stance, I think even if badly given, her death is important. I already included it as a major breakingpoint in my possible scenarios. Perhaps I can easily create future versions of some of PCs I have, but I hate leaving empty space in timeline, so, not likely.
Zekafae
Champion

Post by Zekafae »

I have my own thoughts on things, moreso since I'm actually working on a final project for class which amusingly enough is a paperbased rpg game. If I could? I'd create a game of an alternate path She doesn't die, the memory of her life remains and is eventually brought back, though severely weakened from "death"... Though really why should i make a whole new game system.. I create my own campaign involving the 'resurrection' and things move on from there. Dark elves would need guidance so history does not repeat itself with them. Just my 2 cents from a tired rambling mind.
Site, story being redone
Stats added story still in works

http://dragcave.net/user/Zekafae (click please?)

Twilight vampires are the vampire equivalent of Pluto...
Rainbow Prism
Regular

Post by Rainbow Prism »

But they have guidance. Previously, Araushnee was patron of dark elves. It certainly broke moral when their main patron turned to evil. But what about Eilistraee? Don't you think her 'sacrifice' (I agree she was brutally killed off, sue me) should be different than that? Now, it looks kinda more hopeful. Sure, they do not look like they were before drow thing, for that the author can be grilled on slow hellfire. :devil:

We all agree that many things probably came because of lack of lore from author side, but surely that is not a reason to lash out at the setting when it was in certain disorder?

I may not know how gods see death of their divine progeny, but certainly I think big C would certainly see the followers of her daughter after her death as her children he should protect like a furious vigilantee like Shevy. :angel:
Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind
Resident

Post by Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind »

I have heard rumours that the next edition is being planned already, and they're getting the same guy (whose name escapes me right now) most responsible for turning 3.0 into 3.5 to work on it.

Only a rumour, but excellent news if true. I may just regain some respect for WotC if they're able to realise their mistakes and really work to fix them.

In practical terms, I feel this would likely mean the extensive pantheons returning.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

I believe the name you are looking for is Sean K Reynolds, and he is still a big name in WotC game-design. I have not heard these rumors you speak of, which is odd, as he is on my FB friends list.

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

As best I recall Sean worked on 3.0, however had little to do with 3.5.