What does "Ascendancy of the Last" mean to us?

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Dregonindil
Maid
Maid

Post by Dregonindil »

Do not get me wrong it can be fun to slay the ogre and save the village, but combat being the most interesting part?
I have kicked in a few doors, but I would hardly say that was the best thing I have done.
Then again I seem to be the only one around here (my home town not this site) anymore that does not think charisma is a dump stat. :(
Kirintha the Fair
Regular

Post by Kirintha the Fair »

VITH HASBRO!!!
Kirintha the Fair
Regular

Post by Kirintha the Fair »

Yes Correlon didnt seem appropiate for a grieving father... But... Appearantly they decided to change his alignment to neutral so "As of this novel hes planned this all along" figures.

their trying to get more into the kiddy market im afraid who finds such concepts as redemption uncomfortable sometimes.
Alaric Darkrose
Regular

Post by Alaric Darkrose »

Because nowadays there can't be any form of redemption that isn't emo.

But seriously, we can just ignore Ascedency of the Last. My friends and I are working to integrate her into 4th, seeing as 3.5 is all but dead in our area.
"There are those who think, and those who dream. I, for one, refuse to choose between the two." -Liriel Baenre.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

[quote="Alaric Darkrose":2rv5mlcq]Because nowadays there can't be any form of redemption that isn't emo.

But seriously, we can just ignore Ascedency of the Last. My friends and I are working to integrate her into 4th, seeing as 3.5 is all but dead in our area.[/quote:2rv5mlcq]

You seriously signing onto 4thEd? :?

I can understand that you want to keep playing but buying into ther new system is not the way to go dude. WotC need to die through lack of sales. Pazio/Pathfinder is the new way or just continue with 3.5. I've stuck with 2ndEd and that's been out of action for over 11 years however, I can get people to play it and there is tons of material available 2nd hand and cheaply if you look about.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Alaric Darkrose
Regular

Oh, I still hate it, but around here (Northwest Florida), everyone loves it. No one uses 3.5E anymore. So the only way I get to play is to play 4E. But at least people are willing to compromise. Use 3.5E's FR setting with 4E rules. Actually easier than you think. If I can find a group that still plays 3.5E, then I'll join them.

The general feeling right now is that you can't stop the march of time, and the only people that I knew in person that played 2E came off to me as bitter about 3 and 4, and no one ever played with them. So it's either use the new system, or not play at all.
"There are those who think, and those who dream. I, for one, refuse to choose between the two." -Liriel Baenre.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

I wasn't bitter about 3 or 3.5. It's just that I had quite a bit of 2ndEd stuff and saw no point in ditching it all to invest in a new game system. Also, there was a lot I never liked about 3rdEd. Like being able to take levels in different classes just because you felt like it. The system leant towards making power character builds and cranked up the munchkin factor enormously. It's hard enough trying to keep players focused on role-playing and the story line and the distraction of delving through the rule books just to make the ultimate build for PC was more than enough reason for me to give 3 & 3.5 a skip.

I liked 1st & 2ndEd because it places real limits on characters and when characters have limitations, they can actually do more with that character [the player that is ;) ]
I liked that humans could only dual class, that demi humans were the only ones who could multi class and even then, only certain classes and have level limits. What WotC did when they took over D&D, was to take the ideas & concepts that D&D had and remake the game completely. What that game became was not the game that Gary Gygax created back in 1974.

On a side note, I saw an advertisment by WotC in a comic yesterday that made me almost rip up the comic. WotC are now claiming that they made the game back in 1974, not TSR which was founded by Gary Gygax. May their souls be condemned to the lowest pit of the abyss for eternal torment! :devil:
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Alaric Darkrose
Regular

Sounds like a standard Seattle business. Wait until no one else can dispute you and claim you invented whatever it is you do.

Alaric Darkrose
Regular

[quote="Talwyn Aureliano":s8sar3jt]I wasn't bitter about 3 or 3.5. It's just that I had quite a bit of 2ndEd stuff and saw no point in ditching it all to invest in a new game system. Also, there was a lot I never liked about 3rdEd. Like being able to take levels in different classes just because you felt like it. The system leant towards making power character builds and cranked up the munchkin factor enormously. It's hard enough trying to keep players focused on role-playing and the story line and the distraction of delving through the rule books just to make the ultimate build for PC was more than enough reason for me to give 3 & 3.5 a skip.

I liked 1st & 2ndEd because it places real limits on characters and when characters have limitations, they can actually do more with that character [the player that is ;) ]
I liked that humans could only dual class, that demi humans were the only ones who could multi class and even then, only certain classes and have level limits. What WotC did when they took over D&D, was to take the ideas & concepts that D&D had and remake the game completely. What that game became was not the game that Gary Gygax created back in 1974.

On a side note, I saw an advertisment by WotC in a comic yesterday that made me almost rip up the comic. WotC are now claiming that they made the game back in 1974, not TSR which was founded by Gary Gygax. May their souls be condemned to the lowest pit of the abyss for eternal torment! :devil:[/quote:s8sar3jt]Ironically, now my friends are coming around. They're realizing that 4E is too restricting.

Ordaeseil Renor'ath
Maid
Maid

Post by Ordaeseil Renor'ath »

I think if Eilistraee is revived, she won't be all moonbeams and lute melodies anymore. IMHO, Gygax's drow were meant to be underhanded, insane, and in love with their own carnality. They were supposed to be the race of seven sins, and by allowing deities like Eilistraee, the drow became just another way for you to be an elf while being able to justify the 17 CHA.

Before I lose you, I only mean to say that Eilistraee seemed to betray drow nature by not fulfilling their carnal needs in the minds of many WotC writers. They wanted to get away from Drizzt and put the evil back in the drow. However, Eilistraee could be revived as CN deity who still believes in her cause, but is willing to get her hands dirty to get the job done. I believe it would be more in line with the drow WotC wants while still remaining separate from standard Lloth drow.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Ordaeseil Renor'ath":3v4qscyy]I think if Eilistraee is revived, she won't be all moonbeams and lute melodies anymore. IMHO, Gygax's drow were meant to be underhanded, insane, and in love with their own carnality. They were supposed to be the race of seven sins, and by allowing deities like Eilistraee, the drow became just another way for you to be an elf while being able to justify the 17 CHA.
[/quote:3v4qscyy] She never was "all moonbeams and lute melodies", people that walk about with swords and ready to kill if needed does not fit your profile. As for coming back that appears unlikely. Even 3.0 design team thought there were too many deities.
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

I agree that on current evidence and the way WoTC is going, it appears unlikely that Eilistraee will be revived soon.

However I believe they are aware that she represented a llarge fan base as evidenced by the books that deal with her. Also, at the end of the last book when she is killed, her realm did not vanish plus there are a few deities that have managed to come back from the dead. I suppose that they wanted to leave the door open just in case they change their minds in a year or two and bring her back.

They must have gotten a lot of hate mail and unhappy feedback after killing her off. Even using the excuse of rationalising the number of gods in the realsm being too many in order to justify killing her was lame.

Plus Lloth does notr have any one to fight her now, no balance.

Anyway, we've talked long about this. I'm going my way with it.

She is back!

Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

I suggest we leave this topic for now. Unless, of course, someone new appears and is willing to discuss the issue. But otherwise there is no point in any more talk about it. We know what have to do.
Jubilee
Maid
Maid

Post by Jubilee »

Might I point out they brought back Cap'n America after a fashion, mostly cause of raving fans. ;)
It is difficult for others to truly speak their heart or listen to it. The words often prove difficult, or they do not come at all - Brianna
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

You think Eilistraee's fans are 'persistant' enough?