Is it the Masked Lady or the Masked Lord?

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

Post by Inriiaynrae Jaelre »

From what i remember, many of Vhaeraun's followers did switch to other deities, like Mask and Sharess (i think). I agree that she should still be CG and allow those who want to stay with her stay.
Main character: Inriiaynrae
Second Character: Ariali
Antagonist: Alya
Thalon Mercrow
Resident

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":18akyidm]I see the Masked Lady as perhaps a bit darker version of Eilistraee; perhaps a Dark Knight to Eilistraee's Batman. More willing to stealth and sneaky tactics, not any more evil as such, but more shadowy. And of course, for me, a benefit of the Masked Lady is that it definitely has gender equality (where Eilistraee always leaned more to the feminine and Vhaeraun leaned more to the masculine).

I can see an argument for shifting the Masked Lady's alignment more towards evil though; after all with the influx of Vhaeraun's old followers, many of whom are evil, she almost has to switch to Chaotic Neutral, which rather destroys a big aspect of what I find interesting about Eilistraee to begin with. So if taking that lore (which I don't have any direct intention to, though I can see it as some optional rule in the future) then I'd take it that she's still as good as ever and leaving it to the evil followers whether they'd want to switch alignment or deity...
[/quote:18akyidm]

as I said before I was intrigued in the direction that eilistree was going granted I fell in love with the old version the new one appeals to me as well I feel that she still embodies all the things that the old eilisteraee represented but now with the inclusion of her brother and some of his traits( More willing to stealth and sneaky tactics, not any more evil as such, but more shadowy.)I feel as if I can let thalon blossom, using stealth to steal from the rich and/or evil and such to fill the temples coffers, hunting down her enemies in the dark of the night and putting them to the sword as they sleep,etc,etc

but I feel the eilistrees aliment should remain the same, she consumed varune not the other way around she’s the dominant personality with a few of her brothers traits peaking through after all you can still be CG dark & sneaky, stealing from others to help who you feel deserves (case in point robin hood) after all isn’t that the very definon of CG, doing what YOU feels right regardless of what society says? that said the influx of new followers have a choice either convert or get a new evil deity to worship.
Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind
Resident

Post by Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind »

I find that in ambiguous situations like this it's best to assume that it was Olidammara in disguise the entire time, and go with whatever works for you while simultaneously thinking up a good cover story about how you knew all along and were just joking/intentionally enigmatic/playing your cards especially cunningly.

For my personal opinion I would say Elistaree, Vhaerun wasn't quite up to her abilities if it cane to a straight fight. For one thing, gods are immune to sneak attacks. . .

Maxim: If it looks like a sheep, sounds like a sheep and acts like a sheep; it is almost certainly a mage in disguise.
Thalon Mercrow
Resident

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

I think Mask would be a more campaign aporipote deity.
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

[quote="Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind":10knuyeh]

[b:10knuyeh]Maxim: If it looks like a sheep, sounds like a sheep and acts like a sheep; it is almost certainly a mage in disguise.[/size:10knuyeh][/b:10knuyeh]

[/quote:10knuyeh]

Wisdom!
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Thalon Mercrow
Resident

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

indeed i wanted to say something but i coulidnt think of naything really epic enough to descibe that maxim :)
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

It is pure wisdom and experience.
Moriquenti
Maid
Maid

Post by Moriquenti »

I agree with your last sentence.but in my mind there is only the thought that they wrote this series to open the road for the end of eilistraee.Besides they didn't let the players of eilistraee's drow to process the idea of a masked lady, leaving us only with assumptions.they killed eilistraee shortwhile after Vhaerun's death.These are not serious things.If we let in our games and in our minds eilistraee change then (my personal belief) we lose everything we loved about her and all the hope she gave us in our "dark" times of playing...i don't know, maybe i am just romantic but as i said for me nothing will change because a corporation said it...

Best regards
Bereavest me of sleep, makest me wander under thy light...
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

I started thinking recently about a thing that in my opinion is really worth exploring and explaining. If a deity kills another deity, why is the outcome some kind of twisted average, CG Eilistraee kills CE Vhaeraun and we end up not knowing if it's a Masked Lord or Lady? If that's how it goes then there's really no difference who kills off who. I don't know the rules. I suppose Faiths and Pantheons offers some insight on the subject, but I didn't have the opportunity to look into it.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

When Selvatarm killed off that demon-god or whatever, he ended up with some of his traits and portfolio, which turned him evil and put him under Lolth's influence. (Which apparently was Lolth's plan all along.) I'm wondering why Eilistraee's killing of Vaerhaun didn't do the same. Yes, she acquired a few traits, but she did not become evil. Perhaps she was stronger? I personally like the idea of the Masked Lady, since it brings in new options for her followers.

As to alignment change, I'm glad that it did not, or she would have lost a lot of appeal for me. As it is, I have ignored anythig having to do with her actual "death", as I still contend that if she was inhabiting a follower's body, then it was technically an avatar that was killed, and not the goddess herself. No mortal, not even a Chosen, can hold a god's ENTIRE divine essence!!! (Just look at what happened with Mystryl/Mystra... She put most of her essence into Elminster during the ToT, but even he could not hold ALL of it, even as her most powerful Chosen.)
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188