WotC's take on Eilistraee in 5E

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Irennan
Champion

Re: WotC's take on Eilistraee in 5E

Post by Irennan »

[quote:3ct0tn35]My tag at WotC was, "Plans are subject to change."

Clearly there can be a plan, however if the plan is implemented only time will prove.

WotC had lots of plans with 4th Edition that they in the end could not complete. The plans were forced to be changed.[/quote:3ct0tn35]

I could understand it if they planned to release a whole book/adventure/novel themed on Eilistraee, but 100% Eilistraee's return will be a side note on something else (like the adventure I mentioned a couple posts above). They will likely restore her, but they won't risk making their precious Drizzt look even a bit less of a ''speshul snowflake'', even if that means dramatically dumbing down an entire race.

It's also part of a design philosphy (i.e. restoring all that they took away from the Realms) that comes with 5e and that they have already started putting in action (look at how many gods have returned with the PHB list. It's basically all of them), so -unless the current team changes- I don't see this changing.

Also, they still own the lore and material that we should have seen 2 years ago, they just have to release it. That would cost them nothing.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

From Ed:

[quote:2e7gqmaa]
I have written new lore about the Dark Dancer recently, but I’m afraid how and when you’ll see it is up to Wizards of the Coast, and I can’t legally reveal more. I would not expect to see it as part of this or the next story, if that helps.[/quote:2e7gqmaa]

IMO the Elemental Evil story looked like a good opportunity to reveal Eilistraee's return, given the original role of the Promenade and that Ghaunadaur is the realmsian Elemental Evil. That is unless they don't plan on using Ghaunadaur in their Elemental Evil plot...

Lets just hope that they won't left this lore to collect dust on the shelves like the info about E&V that should have been in the Menzo book.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

So, here's another hint to Eilistraee being alive post-Sudering. Yeah, I know we have had a lot of them and still no concrete stuff (at least not published yet, as we know that Ed has written lore on the goddess), but I'll be piling them up here anyway.

From THO:
[quote:2w73ioje]Yes, all of the gods are back if you want them to be, but they are almost all far more distant from mortals (fewer avatars swaggering around, far fewer Chosen because that midst-of-the-Sundering grab for power didn't go well for any deity). I know Ed and others have been working to slip mentions of this or that deity into Realmslore, to reassure fans who ache to know the fate of, say, Eilistraee (just to name one).[/quote:2w73ioje]

''To [b:2w73ioje]reassure[/b:2w73ioje] fans who ache to know the fate of, say, Eilistraee'' means pretty much that her official/explicit return is a given at this point (it wouldn't be much of a reassurance otherwise). It's basically only a matter of time, lets just hope not too much...
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Leema Har'gachi":hkpwcasp]TONIGHT I DINE ON OOZE SOUP!!![/quote:hkpwcasp]
Ewwwwwww... :p

[quote="Kaote Bruchedaine":hkpwcasp]I admit I am starting to think like Shir'le a bit.[/quote:hkpwcasp]
I'm sure that there are pills for that. ;)

Seriously though. I remain hopeful for her return, but sceptical of any speculation as to where and when specifically. With them repeatedly saying how the deities are far more distant this time and how all of them that you want back are back I expect more of a mention along the lines of "oh yeah, I follow so-and-so, he/she is back" and that's it than a triumphant bursting onto the scene in a blaze of glorious moonlight... so to speak.

The elemental evil could involve Ghaunadaur (he is [i:hkpwcasp]a[/i:hkpwcasp] elemental evil anyway). But they might be wise to divorce him a bit from the drow (did it ever truly make sense for him to be a drow deity). I also think it's more likely to refer to the Temple of Elemental Evil (which is what most people probably think of when hearing "Elemental Evil"), which as far as I'm aware doesn't involve Ghaunadaur at all (though that said I've never played the modules or the computer game).

As to THO's comment that there are far less Chosen around this time... I think this would be a good time to remind everyone that the "Chosen" in the "Chosen of Eilistraee" of this site does [i:hkpwcasp]not[/i:hkpwcasp] refer to Chosen in the way of mortals hand-picked by their deity to carry extra power, but more a group of devout followers who have self-selected themselves as "chosen" (lower-case 'c') representatives of their deity. Just to make things confusing. ;)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":1btbu5br]

Seriously though. I remain hopeful for her return, but sceptical of any speculation as to where and when specifically. With them repeatedly saying how the deities are far more distant this time and how all of them that you want back are back I expect more of a mention along the lines of "oh yeah, I follow so-and-so, he/she is back" and that's it than a triumphant bursting onto the scene in a blaze of glorious moonlight... so to speak.
[/quote:1btbu5br]

I think that it depends on the deity, with more popular ones getting a bit of spotlight. It seems that Ed has made Eilistraee's return quite explicit, since -according to what THO posted, and to what Ed himslef said oin his site- he directly wrote new lore about her and her fate, in order to reassure her fans. Really, at this point they just have to release the info (unless they pull another ''Menzoberranzan: CoI''). I agree that it probably won't be a ''glorious return'', but we will get a reassuring ''Eilistraee is definitely alive'' kind of statement and then perhaps some info on what she/her followers are doing (after all Ed has created new lore, it can't just be a mere line...).

I see your point on Ghaunadaur, but while I agree that he should be separated from the drow, he has a history of conflict with Eilistraee and her followers and that's why I was suggesting that a story centered on him would have been perfect to reveal Eilistraee's return. Anyway the Elemental Evil has been revealed to have nothing to do with Ghaunadaur, so you are right about that.
Kaote Bruchedaine
Maid
Maid

Post by Kaote Bruchedaine »

[quote="Ogrim":16j6ucrc]In the early books, it's mentioned that the longest living Drow known of was somewhere around 800 years old. While I agree using Drizzt as a 'reason' to do things like that is absurd. However, in the books I've read so far, Drizzt isn't even past his 2nd century of life. He's still practically a kid, as Elven or even Drow lifespans go. I say too soon to retire him, but not too soon to stop using him as an excuse for silly decisions.[/quote:16j6ucrc]

Shockingly, Yvonne Baenre was somewhere about 2,000 years old. Additionally.. she seems to be the lowest level of all the canon Drow to be statted out. Level 13 cleric or something like that. Any others any of you know to be lower?

Shameless effort to bump this post Just to see if anyone else has any new news.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

If I get anything, I'll post it here, but I think that the new lore Ed produced about Eilistraee will be published with an eventual drow-themed adventure or with a FRCS. Considering that -according to what we know- WotC's current plans are to release 1 adventure every 6 months and NOTHING else (that is as far as RPG supplements go. Licensed stuff is getting more love than the game itself...), I don't know when a drow story will come :(
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Ok, seeing that WotC may take a very long time before updating the FR, I decided to make a petition for them to restore both Eilistraee and Vhaeraun. Perhaps it could speed up the process.

[url:26yxz68n]https://www.change.org/p/wizards-of-the ... ten-realms[/url:26yxz68n]
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

I don't have any faith whatsoever in petitions like this. They're way too easy to create, there's way too many of them, and way too easy to ignore. I don't think I've ever truly seen any of these petitions have any impact whatsoever (and even then I'd only expect it for the really big things). In fact, if the petition fails it might be grounds for WotC to (wrongly) conclude "see, nobody really wants those deities" and just scrap them altogether.

Even so I signed it since that doesn't cost anything and not signing might end up being more harmful. But I'm not holding my breath.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":96aik8v0]I don't have any faith whatsoever in petitions like this. They're way too easy to create, there's way too many of them, and way too easy to ignore. I don't think I've ever truly seen any of these petitions have any impact whatsoever (and even then I'd only expect it for the really big things). In fact, if the petition fails it might be grounds for WotC to (wrongly) conclude "see, nobody really wants those deities" and just scrap them altogether.

Even so I signed it since that doesn't cost anything and not signing might end up being more harmful. But I'm not holding my breath.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le[/quote:96aik8v0]

I see your point (even though I've seen many of these petitions succeed, but -as you pointed out- they were about more rallying matters) and now I'm worried about what you said concerning an eventual failure. Those petitions are usually used as a vessel for messages that have a significant social impact, so I don't really expect mine to get the ball moving faster than it already is. However I saw no harm in trying because I thought that if the petition managed to garner enough attention in such a context, it would have truly meant something.

But I would feel [i:96aik8v0]really[/i:96aik8v0] bad if this ended up damaging Eilistraee&Vhaeraun's chances. I should have stopped to think more before doing this... :(
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Honestly, I doubt it'll make much difference either way. And the thought behind it was a right one. Don't worry too much about it. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

I've got other news.

I've talked to Ed about Eilistraee, and he was so kind to listen to me and give me (us, actually, since he gave me the permission to share the news) hope for her. He loves her as much as we do and -while WotC seems to have 0 interest in our lady- he is going (and had already planned to do so) to try to give us all more of the Dark Dancer. At long last, if the editor will play nice, his novel at the end of 2016 will bring us the confirmation that Eilistraee is officially alive. That will likely be just a few lines involving the goddess, but it will be a so much needed, heartwarming and reassuring ''Eilistraee lives'' :)
Last edited by Irennan on Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

That sounds good Irennan. With my thanks to Mr Ed Greenwood. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

It is good indeed. I was so happy to hear that from Ed, I feel like most people would have ignored my message, but he listened and showed his love for Eilistraee. It was truly heart-warming.

It's something concrete at last, provided that WotC doesn't get in the way yet another time. Ed has said that he'll be fighting so that the part of the book with Eilistraee doesn't get removed by the editor, in the eventual case of them trying to do so. Seriously, at this point, after all their promises, it would be a huge ass move to remove even something as simple as a passage that would just let us know that Eilistraee lives and hasn't been forgotten. Its presence wouldn't prevent WotC from continuing with their ''there's only Drizzt'' and ''give half of the available story space to him'' show, so I don't see why they should go after it (unless they actually have some kind of weird hatred towards Eilistraee and the people who like her, or they like to be big killjoys).