A New Acolyte

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Kaele
Maid
Maid

A New Acolyte

Post by Kaele »

[color=indigo:diz8zbzi]Hello, all. I am new here. Well quite frankly, I'm just plain new. While I've read my fair share of fantasy novels and played MMORPGs like WoW and EQ2 (and SWG), I have little knowledge of NWN or D&D. Fortunately, my husband is a long time A/D&D roleplayer so he can help me along. I also have no experience in the pen and paper style of role playing so I do hope you will all be understanding of my ignorance.

I was pleased to see that there was a group of "good" Drow. It has helped me begin the formation of my own half-drow character. I've written Star Wars fanfic in the past and dabbled in fantasy, so I'm looking forward to learning more about the Drow and perhaps get into the forum RPing areas.

Also, I have two characters on Second Life, so if anyone here is also in SL, I'd love to get together there![/color:diz8zbzi]
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Welcome!

I shared your feelings when I first learned of the Eilistraeeans myself. If you're anything like me you probably had a huge fascination with the drow, but was crushed by the fact that they are generally evil. It's good you found your way here.

If you want to learn more about the drow, the best source I can recommend are the Forgotten Realms books. The first one I'd recommend is R.A. Salvatore's The Dark Elf Trilogy. It's not a book about the Eilistraeean's, but it covers a great deal of the difficulties that a good drow has among the rest of their cruel society and the even greater difficulties that soon arise after they eventually break free from that society.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

I offer you welcome here. The community is small, but most are devoted to the Dark Maiden. We do have a few spider kissers and followers of the Masked one, but that is to be expected.

May you find friendships and information here. *Smiles*
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

Hello, welcome, greetings bla, bla, bla...
:3
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Hello Kaele, and welcome to our little group. :)

I don’t think you’ll have much trouble here as just about everyone is generally friendly and helpful (and if not then let me know). If you’re familiar with writing then roleplaying shouldn’t be that difficult either since free-form roleplaying (what we do in these forums) is a lot like story telling to begin with. Just remember to not write any actions for the characters of other players and keep your bits short/open enough that others can add to the story too and things should be fine.

I do also play Second Life every now and again, but I’m pretty much a freeloader since I don’t pay a dime to the program. As such I also don’t have any drow skins or such (and don’t play a drow in there) and try to get by purely with free junk. ;)

Anyway, once again welcome and may you find a home of sorts here.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Kaele
Maid
Maid

Post by Kaele »

[color=indigo:2wbugk7x]Thanks for the welcomes! :D

Shir'le, I have one preminum and one (now) basic account in SL. My basic acct is an Elf, but I spent so much time with her starting my shoppe to help new players that I have yet to get involved with any of the Elven groups (and now a couple of the better know ones are defunct :'( ). Siobhan is the main reason I decided to look into the Drow as her light purple skin seems to confuse people who think she's Drow. Hehe. I received a decent freebie Drow skin (not that pastie blue freebie) from someone who now seems to have gone Gorean, but I think I'll IM him and see if he still has it available.

This weekend was spent looking for information on Drow in SL (and you know what that can be like to sift through all the "adult RP"areas). I came across a RP sim called Zeneth and visited their library. They follow the teachings of Eilistraee, however their backstory included places (like Underwold) and some deities that my husband didn't recognize from AD&D. I spoke to one guy there who was very helpful and gave me a lengthy notecard that I have yet to read. I'm going to continue my search both in SL and the internet.

Nasia, I started on The Crystal Shard (R.A. Salvatore/The Icewind Dale Trilogy) last night at my husband's suggestion. I'll check to see if he has the Dark Elf Trilogy (he probably does as he's a voracious fantasy novel reader and never-ever gets rid of a book! lol).[/color:2wbugk7x]
DarkSongKnight
Maid
Maid

Post by DarkSongKnight »

Welcome to the Chosen! I hope you enjoy your time with us. I've only been with the Chosen for a few months, but from what I've experienced its a wonderful and caring community.

:D
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Better late then never, so welcome. Hope you'll find your place here as I had once.

I have yo agree with your husband. That was (fairly) one of the first books on drow written by Salvatore, so it doesn't stink yet. I recommend you read the Icewind Dale trilogy, then the Dark Elf trilogy, and ending with vol. 3 (Sojurn, I think) end your adventure with that writter. If you really want to know what happened to Drizzt, go right ahead. I found nothing interesting there. It was a waste of time. But hey, he makes a living on writting books.

Try reading Elaine Cunningham's books: Daughter of the drow, Tangled Webs and Windwalker. That's something worth the time.

BTW, I've read a book by her called A Dark Journey. It's a Star Wars novel. I must say one word: great. I highly recomend it. Made me start reading other SW novels. Anyway feel yourself at home here.
Kaele
Maid
Maid

Post by Kaele »

[color=indigo:1evbljzk]I have a natural hesitation to reading anything by Salvadore, being a rabid SW canonist! Hey, at least he isn't Zahn! :angel: Still, I trust my hubby's taste in books. He hasn't steered me wrong yet. (Although not knowing if the final book in the Wheel of Time series will ever be written is a pain! :p )[/color:1evbljzk]
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[quote="Kaele":ltikauog][color=indigo:ltikauog]...he's a voracious fantasy novel reader and never-ever gets rid of a book! lol).[/color:ltikauog][/quote:ltikauog]

[color=indigo:ltikauog]Sounds like me. I've had a slowly (well, maybe not so slowly) growing pile of books in my room for about a year. I need to get another bookshelf or two. Welcome, by the way, and beware of Rooky. ;) [/color:ltikauog]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Arathen
Maid
Maid

Post by Arathen »

I actually rather enjoy the recent Drizzt Do'Urden books, and fully intend to pick up the new one when it comes out. Salvatore is one of my favorite authors, and people do give him hell for killing Chewbacca (He was told to kill someone off, and no matter who he picked there would have been an outcry...), though I quite enjoy the New Jedi Order series ;)
Anyway...I understand other people not liking his stuff. Everyone has different tastes. I say read as far as you can, and if you lose interest then don't read further...but if you enjoy it, by all means read on.
"Courage lies not in the lack of fear...but in doing something you are afraid to."

Check out the progress on my book at http://kaavelbaelithar.deviantart.com/
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

I suppose you're right Arathen.

Read on as long as it amuses you.

Let's see I don't have the money to buy books, so I don't buy them, so I don't have the problem of where to put them. I borrow books. I'm a slow reader, so it takes some time for me to get through them. At any rate, I love books. They're the only thing that won't betray you ;)
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I personally started with the Dark Elf Trilogy (which is a prequel series to the Icewind Dale Trilogy), but either way works. If there’s only three books you’ll read in the setting though then make certain that you do read the dark elf trilogy, as they give by far the most insight into the drow.

I also agree with Argoth on Daughter of the Drow and Tangled Web, though personally I didn’t like Windwalker much at all. I’d also recommend Elaine Cunningham’s novel Evermeet: Island of Elves if your husband has it; at least the beginning part that’s directly about the elven deities as it describes how the drow deities were banished from Arvandor (the elf version of heaven basically). Once it stops being about the deities there isn’t much in there related to drow (it’s all about the normal elves, giving a wide view of their history), but still a fairly decent read.

Then there’s the whole War of the Spider Queen series and the Lady Penitent sequel series to that (which is still being written). Lots and lots of drow in that and in the Lady Penitent series particularly a lot of Eilistraee. But I’d reserve that for after you’ve read the above suggestions (and then only if you enjoy reading Forgotten Realms novels of course).

As for Second Life, I did a quick search for “Eilistraee” at one point, but could only find groups with closed membership (which goes a bit against Eilistraeen philosophy, but anyway). Maybe I should try Zeneth sometime. Though I haven’t really seen any good drow skins (it’s all purples and blues instead of black). Then again I’m not really playing SL for the drow. ;)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Sabaal
Hero||Heroine

Re: A New Acolyte

Post by Sabaal »

[quote="Kaele":3oep0n4m][color=indigo:3oep0n4m]Hello, all. I am new here. Well quite frankly, I'm just plain new. While I've read my fair share of fantasy novels and played MMORPGs like WoW and EQ2 (and SWG), I have little knowledge of NWN or D&D. Fortunately, my husband is a long time A/D&D roleplayer so he can help me along. I also have no experience in the pen and paper style of role playing so I do hope you will all be understanding of my ignorance.

I was pleased to see that there was a group of "good" Drow. It has helped me begin the formation of my own half-drow character. I've written Star Wars fanfic in the past and dabbled in fantasy, so I'm looking forward to learning more about the Drow and perhaps get into the forum RPing areas.

Also, I have two characters on Second Life, so if anyone here is also in SL, I'd love to get together there![/color:3oep0n4m][/quote:3oep0n4m]

Hey, welcome, Kaele!

I just read you're new in the board and that you're not familiar with the pen & paper system and I think we will all be more than glad to help you whenever we can and whenever you need.

I also have some good drow, followers of our dear Dark Maiden: Lilac, a Wizard/fighter that I have in a campaign here, and Cerridwen, an eilistraeean cleric that I'm playing somewhere else.

Besides, if you want to read about Drow (good or evil) you can start a thread about that right here, and in [url=http://www.fanfiction.net:3oep0n4m]Fanfiction.net[/url:3oep0n4m] you'll find a lot of fanfiction about D&D and also about drow (among other topics, of course). There are also plenty of sites on google, Yahoo and Altavista that you can try to get more information.

If you want to contact me on msn you can find it in my profile. I'll be glad to help you if I can.
Merinid Tlin'orzza
Regular

Post by Merinid Tlin'orzza »

Konnichi wa, Kaele.

Make yourself at home. :)