Eillistraees teachings

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Mikayla
Maid
Maid

Post by Mikayla »

Newbie-moonie?
[i:37opf9tx]free[/i:37opf9tx] whore?

You are not very smart are you? So sad and yet, not exactly surprising from race whose only claim to fame is its ability and willingness to lick its own genitals and eat its own excrement.

Rooky:
[quote:37opf9tx]Oh, and a, weren't you the oh, so powerfull Llolthian who was cought dancing under moonlight with Eilistraee?[/quote:37opf9tx]

Well, that was my character in ALFA, Sheyreiza Auvryndar, who started as a priestess of Lolth, turned to Eilistraee, and eventually turned back. Since then she has gone on to become a Yathtallar and is ALFA's highest level drow PC ever (**knocks on wood**). Of course, ALFA is in the midst of the Silence now, and being Auvryndar, my PC Sheyreiza is living in Ched Nasad. While ALFA's Underdark DM, your very own twinkle-toes-herald Vendrin, is running his own version of the Silence (and an awesome version at that) I have to say I fear ALFA's Ched may soon face the same fate as WotC's Ched, despite my PC's best efforts. C'est la vie, non?
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well am trying to treat this as a friendly discussion, I see in part you are trying to treat this as RP it appear, because you add an OOC discussion. Lisa freely admits she made errors in dogma in the book she wrote.

WotC, and even TSR to a far lessor extent, do not have continuity editors. WotSQ was Lolth's story with little regard for any of the other deities. There is no logical way that Lolth's former consort would allow Lolth to rise in power and he is not even mentioned. Novels are not a good source for canon (policy is though if it got past the editors it is canon, including that male Cleric of Eilistraee, until new canon is handed down.

The book series selecting such wimps to go against Lolth has a basic flaw, but that was not a factor. In most ways the WofSQ was to explain why the Demonweb is no longer in the abyses.

SKR a former design team member does not even get Drow right, birth rates based on most sources have Drow nearly as fertile as humans, SKR has him giving birth perhaps once 100 years. If that is fertile as humans, humans have one child per their life time if lucky. SKR also designed a sword where he had the Clerics of Eilistraee worshiping once a month where F&P (and other sources) have them praying for spells each night, in moon light if posible.

The city at the end of the portal , also SRK IIRC, is not described in any detail. It however exists in canon, because it has the FR logo. *sighs*

Drow will always be maintained as mostly evil, because game designers and/or TPTB so decreee it, dispite logic and what should be on the ground realities. Authors will mess up canon, they will pich chacters that are designed to fail if so directed. The Chosen of Chosen should have been sent, she might have been able to take some of her sisters with her. A recent convert clearly was not suited, but it made a nice story that resulted in Lolth suceeding in her plan (if she had one, perhaps she just got lucky). Paul Kemp clains he could have killed anyone except Danfice, I do not believe this is true. Total freedom would have pernitted him to kill Lolth. First line editor was RAS and that most likely made it very hard to kill off any of his characters as well.
Mikayla
Maid
Maid

Post by Mikayla »

[quote:jw4lz0yt]WotC, and even TSR to a far lessor extent, do not have continuity editors.[/quote:jw4lz0yt]

EDIT: Haha, I just re-read what you wrote - EDITORS not errors - seems I need an editor now too (initially I thought you wrote that they did not have continuity errors, which shocked me and prompted me to put up a blatant example, but I see now I misread what you wrote).

[quote:jw4lz0yt]There is no logical way that Lolth's former consort would allow Lolth to rise in power and he is not even mentioned. [/quote:jw4lz0yt]

There is no logical way a dragon can fly, a man can teleport or that drow (or anything human like) can even exist in the depths of the underdark. I mean, cities of 10,000 people located two miles underground? Temperature rises quickly as you descend – the worlds deepest mines are about 3 KM deep and require multi-million dollar ice machines running non-stop to make the temperature livable for the workers. And they do not even address the subject of the increased pressure on the rock which results (in real life) of rock bursts. Faerun's underdark itself is a logical impossibility.

So, ultimately, we have to accept that what they say happens, happens. Corellon let Araushnee escape Arvandor 25,000 years ago when he could have stopped her. Now she has grown incredibly powerful – probably beyond his ability to stop. If she does something and he does not stop her, well then, either he would not or could not. If he does stop her, then we know he could have and did.

[quote:jw4lz0yt]Novels are not a good source for canon[/quote:jw4lz0yt]

They are the second best source of canon we have after the game materials themselves.

[quote:jw4lz0yt]The book series selecting such wimps to go against Lolth has a basic flaw, but that was not a factor. In most ways the WofSQ was to explain why the Demonweb is no longer in the abyses. [/quote:jw4lz0yt]

Fine, but it is still canon.

[quote:jw4lz0yt]SKR a former design team member does not even get Drow right, birth rates based on most sources have Drow nearly as fertile as humans, SKR has him giving birth perhaps once 100 years. If that is fertile as humans, humans have one child per their life time if lucky. SKR also designed a sword where he had the Clerics of Eilistraee worshiping once a month where F&P (and other sources) have them praying for spells each night, in moon light if posible. [/quote:jw4lz0yt]

I agree – there are all kinds of errors – they should stop using SKR and Rich Baker to write about the drow and replace them with me. Despite my feigned hostility on the boards, I would give the followers of Eilistraee more than a fair shake since I (OOC) love all the drow.

[quote:jw4lz0yt]Drow will always be maintained as mostly evil, because game designers and/or TPTB so decreee it, dispite logic and what should be on the ground realities. [/quote:jw4lz0yt]

Again with the logic. Logic says that a chaotic evil society like the one depicted for the drow could not survive – lets face it, a “society” of sociopaths is an oxymoron.

[quote:jw4lz0yt]Authors will mess up canon, they will pich chacters that are designed to fail if so directed. The Chosen of Chosen should have been sent, she might have been able to take some of her sisters with her. A recent convert clearly was not suited, but it made a nice story that resulted in Lolth suceeding in her plan (if she had one, perhaps she just got lucky). Paul Kemp clains he could have killed anyone except Danfice, I do not believe this is true. Total freedom would have pernitted him to kill Lolth. First line editor was RAS and that most likely made it very hard to kill off any of his characters as well.[/quote:jw4lz0yt]

They are the creators of the world and its products – they have the say, whether we like it or not. I have had many, many, MANY problems with the treatment of the drow, especially by RAS, over the years, but alas, I have to live with it if I want to play in the FR (unless I am the only DM, in which case I can take what I like and throw out the rest).
Zakharra
Maid
Maid

Post by Zakharra »

Nice to see you Mik. :D I like this discussion about the differences between Lolth and Eilistraee's dogma and followers.

I can attest to Mikayla's ALFA PC, Sheyreiza going from Kiaransalee to Lolth, to Eilistraee and back to Lolth. She plays her wonderfully and it's always inspiring to RP with her.

Personally WoTC could not do better if they let Mikayla and Vendrin do their drow stories. RAS is ok, but he's best at good drow. As is Elaine Cunningham. But for truely evil drow, Mikayla and Vendrin are the best.

WotSQ would have been better if Lolth had established a Dark Seldarine in the end.
Velve
Regular

Post by Velve »

[quote="Mikayla":1vr4y5v0]

There is no logical way a dragon can fly, a man can teleport or that drow (or anything human like) can even exist in the depths of the underdark. I mean, cities of 10,000 people located two miles underground? Temperature rises quickly as you descend – the worlds deepest mines are about 3 KM deep and require multi-million dollar ice machines running non-stop to make the temperature livable for the workers. And they do not even address the subject of the increased pressure on the rock which results (in real life) of rock bursts. Faerun's underdark itself is a logical impossibility.
[/quote:1vr4y5v0]

Your speaking as if Faerun is Earth, however.
Mikayla
Maid
Maid

Post by Mikayla »

[quote:1l6btg8r]Your speaking as if Faerun is Earth, however.[/quote:1l6btg8r]

Only in response to an argument based on "logic" as opposed to the "facts" of Faerun; meaning, BQ argued, for instance, that Corellon would not logically allow Lolth's ascension - but logocal or not, Corellon[i:1l6btg8r] did [/i:1l6btg8r]allow Lolth's ascension, so far as that world is concerned. What I am pointing out is that we cannot apply our concepts of logic in the face the reality they present us; what they tell us might not be logical (like huge cities miles underground, or Corellon 'letting' Lolth grow so powerful, or Hallistra turning back to Lolth) but we have to accept it because that is how the creators of the world say it is. The logic of [i:1l6btg8r]that[/i:1l6btg8r] world, Faerun, is defined by the writers of the game materials and books.

Oh - and HELLO ZAK! I would hug you, but then all the moonies would think I went all soft and lovey-dovey.
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

Ok, so maybe we are a bunch of ball, and what not licking race, but I just can't understand why you think torture beats...what ever the hells these gals use.

Living in constant fear of your own mother stabbing a dagger in your back makes you feel good?

Go ahead Mikayla, hug her. Maybe that dagger will show up...
:3
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I think one of the problems with canon is that D&D is, and will always be, a game. As such the setting needs to provide challenges for the players to overcome, evils for the heroes to eradicate.

But it seems, to me, that Eilistraeens very much [i:1eaxr7b3]are[/i:1eaxr7b3] the heroes. Canon can’t very well have them succeed and strike a major blow against their enemies (such as killing Lolth) because that would remove that challenge from the players (not to mention the outcry you’d get from those who like the goddess for either good or bad).

Eilistraeens fulfill a heroic role much beloved in the west: that of the underdog. To have them rise in power and prominence in canon would not only take that away from players, but also rob them of the opportunity to help them get there themselves. The setting (i.e. canon) provides the problems for the heroes to overcome; the game provides the means to do so.

In short, I think the problem with canon is that it’s resistant to change. The only thing the biggest ‘changes’ do is shuffle some details around here and there. Sure, Lolth is now a greater goddess and her plane is now a plane unto its own, but what does that really change for the players? Nothing. Even during the Time of Trouble all they did was shuffle a few deities around (most of the dead ones, I think, weren’t that popular to begin with).

Will we ever see Eilistraee’s prophecy of the drow wanting to find their way back into the light come true? Not in canon we won’t because that would be too much of a change. Same as how no other major aspect of the Realms will significantly change.

In the end the only important thing to remember is that it isn’t canon which makes the Realms what it is… it is the players and what we do with it.

As for an IC response:

Some would measure their worth by their individual power; measure their worth in their numbers, the size of the cities they have built and the number of enemies they have defeated.

I, however, measure my worth by our shared strength; measure it by the friends I have made, the honest and true joy I find in life and the happiness I bring to others.

For those that follow the first reasoning it is inconceivable to see the second as a valid way of being. So wrapped up in themselves they are that they fail to see the superiority of it. Superiority, because those that stand united stand stronger than those that stand alone.

The true sadness is that until they come out of their self-centered shell they will never truly be happy. And because of that I weep for them.

Of course they will debate that I am wrong; that the superior way is that of survival of the fittest. And I have no proof to the contrary except that which I know in my heart.

I guess the ultimate test will be who will find a place on the surface first: those who do so by conquest and subjugation or those who do so with friendship and kindness.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Mikayla
Maid
Maid

Post by Mikayla »

IC:

We are not going to debate with you dear. We might laugh at your weeping, we might slay you if we find you, but debate? Whats the point? The followers of Eilistraee are, how shall I put this? Irrelevant. A small group of cultists who provide safe harbor for those not strong, smart or quick enough to prosper in the competitive atmosphere of drow society. As for a place on the surface - who wants one? I never said we wanted a place on the surface - my allusion to our "place" as its overlords was a reference to our station, not location. I fully intend to reap the slave-pastures of the surface of their living wheat from my fabulous home far under the surface - unless Lolth indicates we should rise, in which case, so be it.

OOC:
I agree with Shir'le strongly on the point about Eilistraeens being the heroes and the need for them to remain underdogs. If the Eilistraeens were the dominant culture, and Lolth was dead ... then were is the dramatic tension needed for gaming and writing? As it stands, the relationship of Eilistraee, Lolth and their respective followers is easy to understand, fun to game and provides a rich (if slightly cliche') background for the writers.

As for canon being resistant to change - thats not something unique to Faerun or WotC; humans are adaptable but often resistant to change. Our greatest insitutions, be they religious or secular, usually resist change and often do so violently even if the change is logical and 'good' (Galileo anyone?). And when change does occur, it usually occurs slowly. Faerun, despite what we may think about being slow to change, suffers amazing change at an incredible pace - look to the "Time of Troubles" and the deaths of gods, the rise of gods, the change in how divinities work, all in the last 20 years of Faerun history - not to mention the return of the Shades, the Phaerimm, the reversal of the Elve's migration, the re-appearance of the Fey'ri, the Silence of Lolth etc. Ched Nasad, a city which stood for nearly 5,000 years, fell. The Fey'ri, missing for millenia, stormed out of their prisons. The Shades, missing for 2,000 years, suddenly reappear.

That is a lot of change. Sometimes it has a lasting effect (such as the smoking ruin of Ched Nasad) and sometimes not. All in all though, Faerun changes a LOT and it does so quickly. However, behind all of this is the real over-god and that real over-god is the principal of business; they have to sell products, so those characters and gods and races and locations that sell, will go on without getting their heads chopped off (unless the folks at WotC figure they can make even more money off of that). Such is life.
Shayera
Maid
Maid

Post by Shayera »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":3sjg932u]I, however, measure my worth by ... the friends I have made, the honest and true joy I find in life and the happiness I bring to others.[/quote:3sjg932u]

Dalninil, i totally agree to that (IC & OOC)
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

As I am assuming this forum is supposed to be [i:28r8vqud]out[/i:28r8vqud] of character, people reading anything I post here can safetly assume all my messages are out of character as well. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but that's neither here nor there. The only IC posts I will make will be in the actual Role Playing forums. Right, now on to the actual subject.

I agree whole-heartedly with Shirle's and Mikayla's commetns; re: good drow being the 'underdogs' of the entire drow race. This is one of the biggest reasons I loved playing my Drow Bard on Talus (NwN server). nearly everyone she met was suspicious of her, many of her 'friends' even up to the point I left the server, still had not fully accepted the fact that not all Drow are killers.

Rade aided in the defense of her home many times. She helped thwart a Drow plot to overrun one of the islands in the lands. Yet, even one of those who helped her could not hide her distrust of Drow. A member of a guild she had ben going to join openly scorned her. It was all this that made her fun (and at times, tiring) to play. She had to think on her feet, all the time. A wrong comment, a wrong look, and she could have easily found herself at the end of someone's blade (or spell).

Making the Eilistraeen Drow suddenly become the dominant of the two creeds would be a bad thing, in my opinion. The whole attraction of playing one is knowing there aren't that many, in comparison to their evil brethren.
Mikayla
Maid
Maid

Post by Mikayla »

Oh excellent, I am soooooo glad to see we are all in agreement. So, here is what we do; Shayera and Shir'le and such can sit around and hug and sing Kumbaya and weave daisy chains....and we, the followers of the Spider Queen, the true drow, will come and cut your throats - then everyone is happy! You all get to be lovey-dovey underdogs, and we get to kill you! I know its a bit of a sacrifice on your part, but hey, you seem to want [i:1t0cb2v8]everyone[/i:1t0cb2v8] to be happy......

;)
Shayera
Maid
Maid

Post by Shayera »

[quote="Mikayla":bg01bt43]....the followers of the Spider Queen, the true drow, will come and cut your throats - then everyone is happy![/quote:bg01bt43]

They can try - i've never said i'm a pacifist. If someone threatens one of those i consider a friend he/she should better come with a large number of allies!

'Cause i'll use every dirty trick i've learned, and if thats not enough i'll invent some more :devil:
Sabaal
Hero||Heroine

Post by Sabaal »

Being eilistraeean doesn't mean you have to be pacifist.
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

It doesn't? Woohoo!

*goes of to reak havoc on the local "true drow" communities*
:3