Psionics

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Psionic Classes too powerful?

Yes
33%
No
33%
Some are, some aren't (please specify in post)
33%

Total votes: 3

Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Psionics

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=indigo:32ld3dau]I was creating a new character yesterday (a psion) when my DM came over to see what I was doing and freaked out saying that neither he, nor any of the other DMs in our group would allow them, because they were waaayyy to powerful. So, what do you think?[/color:32ld3dau]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Psionics were always a problem, the opinions I have seen of it is 3.X has done a better job of it, but still over powered.
Tyrmer
Hero||Heroine

Post by Tyrmer »

YES!!!!!!!! ZOMFGWTFBBQ YES!!!!!!!!!

For those that remember him; Count loves psions. Enough said...
Titles:

Master of the Lady's Dances
Recoverer of the Tome of Moonlight
Scribe of the Dark Maiden's Temple

High Priest of the Church of Rooky :D
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Well I've never played a psion, but from what I've heard, they are quite powerful. At least some of them. On the other hand, any character over lvl13 in pnp gaming is overpowered. Like my friend, drow fighter lvl13 did sushi out of any tanar'ri he came upon.
Tyrmer
Hero||Heroine

Post by Tyrmer »

Should ANY class be able to pull off multiple 1d10 damaging spells a day at level one?
Titles:

Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

That's a tough one... Let me see... YES! Even more, but when you're a GOD!!!!
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=indigo:3swfto58]Well, it seems that the general consensus is yes, but what about a psionic campaign? Good idea? You know, with enemies that can use psionics and with anything goes for pc classes (assuming that the class actually exists)?[/color:3swfto58]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

If so it would be really a chalange. Unless the PCs are psionics as well... But still I think it would be a bad idea. At some point, when characters get too powerfull, the fun just fades away. I think we had a discussion about high lvl campaigns, so back to psionics...
Tyrmer
Hero||Heroine

Post by Tyrmer »

If you run a psionic campaign (ie where everyone is a psion and you fight psions a lot) then it is ok because everyone is equally overpowered. It's just like running a higher level campaign. Its when one or two players are psionic and no enemies are that you have to worry.
Titles:

Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Yep. That's why I like Warhammer so much. You can die any time. By any hand. Anyway I've started a new version of RPG... I've mixed some Warhammer, some D&D, the world od the Realms, Jedi and Warhammer 40k.... I'm planing to start gaming any time now. I wonder how it will work out?
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=darkred:2yn5b70t]Scary.[/color:2yn5b70t]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

Well, one way to get around the overpowerdness of Psions is to give them headaches!
Really. Depending on how powerful the Psionics are that they use, it creates backlash, which gives them headaches. For example, levitating a small object might make them a bit 'niggly' behind the eyes for a few minutes. Unleashing a full-blown Psionic blast on a foe that can potentially kill it outright gives them a severe migraine for a day or so.

They can still use their Psionics, but they'll know if they go overboard, they're going to pay for it. And this way, if the rest of the party aren't Psions, they don't come to rely on the Psionics. Instead of it being "Crap, a Baatezu, George, shred him with your uber mind powers!" It can be "Crap, a Baatezu! Geroge, if you can weaken it, we'll back you up!" I've never played a D&D Psion, so I'm unsure what, exactly, they can and can't do.
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=darkred:3lztz229]A cursed ioun stone of headaches! Or a headache emanating stone. :) [/color:3lztz229]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Or a lose brick...
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=darkred:3bxh5fvj]Heh. I hadn't thought of that. :devil: [/color:3bxh5fvj]
Life before death
Strength before weakness