Books pertaining to the goddess

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Books pertaining to the goddess

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

So, hi, I'm the newest acolyte of the group and I thought I'd start off by seeing if anyone can answer the question that's been gnawing at the nape of my neck (and not in a good way) for a good while.

I'm not a big D&D player, and have in fact yet to play NWN2 which is still sitting on my desk collecting dust....BUT, I'm a hugely growing fan of the Forgotten Realms books and admit that I have an obsession with the drow, and the Dark Lady especially so I try to find everything I can that pertains to her in even the smallest way.

I admit that the War of the Spider Queen series was not the best place to start (I was so burned by Hallistra, not even that she did turn back, but by how easily her faith faltered that I almost ripped the book in half) but I'm trying to do better by getting my grubby little mitts on the Liriel Baenre trilogy. I'm not entirely sure I want to even peek at the Lady Penitent trilogy (though deep down I know I will if the books even mention the Dark Lady) for the simple fact that Hallistra was probably the most disappointing character I've ever read about.

Aaaanyway, getting off track here...question I seek help with! Is there any other books other there about the goddess or her followers other than the ones I've listed?

Many thanks from this flippy little drow fanatic :angel:
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Welcome to the Chosen.

There are few books that feature Eilistraee in a supporting role, a passing mention to her likely occurs in over half of the Drow books.
The High Priestess does have a book list someplace that might guide you to finding those that have the most information.

http://www.eilistraee.com/temple/books.php
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Big thanks.

The flippy little drow fanatic is greatful!
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Hi Narsia and welcome to the forums. :)

Some might say that there aren’t a lot of books with our Dark Lady, but to be honest there are probably more books with her than most of the other Forgotten Realms deities (Mystra and Lolth being possible exceptions).

But to give you a quick overview…

While there are a lot of books featuring drow written by R. A. Salvatore, none of them feature Eilistraee in even the smallest way. Still, despite that I’d recommend reading the Dark Elf trilogy because they form in many way the basis for anything dark elven; Homeland describing how drow live, Exile describing the hostile environment drow live in (the Underdark) and Sojourn of particular interest to us as it gives a glimpse of the struggles drow face on the surface. But everything else by Salvatore is forgettable; some find it enjoyable but I got quite bored of the entire thing somewhere at the start of the legacy of the Drow series.

Elaine Cunningham is the second author writing about Forgotten Realms drow and as such her books are quite worth reading. The Starlight and Shadows series has a few Eilistraeen appearances here and there (particularly Tangled Webs has some good moments), though I found Windwalker to be ultimately disappointing; almost as much so as the last book in the War of the Spider Queen series. So be warned. Next to that there’s Evermeet: Island of Elves which doesn’t have a lot of Eilistraee (or drow in general) since it’s more about the history of the fair elves, but it [i:lltdvm87]does[/i:lltdvm87] start with how the drow deities became exiled from Arvandor in which Eilistraee played an important role as well. For that alone I’d almost consider it required reading for any Eilistraeen. ;)

The War of the Spider Queen series you’ve read and it seems you feel about the last book about the same as I did. But still I’d recommend you try reading the Lady Penitent book(s). The first one at least (the others not being out yet :p ) seems to be the most Eilistraee-heavy book I’ve ever read with Hallistra getting fairly little page time. The book still leaves me very scared for the future though so I’m withholding judgment until the series is complete.

Then there’s Silverfall which is a fairly poor book written by the creator of the Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood. It seems to be a bit of a disjoint story involving the Seven Sisters (basically the seven most powerful women on the planet and Mystra’s Chosen). Each sister gets one-seventh of the book, at the end of which they hand it on to the next sister. But the connection between these seven stories seems slim at best. Still, one of the seven is Qilué, a dark elf who’s also Chosen of Eilistraee (among Eilistraeens at times called “Chosen of the Chosen” and she features heavily in a number of other books as well, such as the Lady Penitent book(s)). But next to showing one ritual to the goddess there isn’t a lot of Eilistraee in there and I felt that this book had the most disappointing description of Qilué from any I’ve read. Still, if you’re hungry for Eilistraee…

Next to that there isn’t a whole lot that I’m aware of. There’s some sourcebooks of course. From the 3E books I’d recommend Faiths and Pantheons (of course) and perhaps Champions of Valor (which I thought had a surprising amount of Eilistraeen content). And if you can find the 2[sup:lltdvm87]nd[/sup:lltdvm87] ed. books you might also be interested in Drow of the Underdark (which is the best drow-oriented sourcebook you can find including a bit of Eilistraee) and Demihuman Deities (which has a lot of Eilistraeen background). Even harder to find are likely the magazines, but Dragon magazine #176 has a [i:lltdvm87]very[/i:lltdvm87] detailed description of the Promenade (biggest temple devoted to Eilistraee, led by Qilué) and Dragon Magazine #315 has an interesting prestige class associated with the Lady Silverhair.

Anyway, there you go. That should help you a little to filter out the more Eilistraee-centric books from the list Bhaern gave you a link to (which is a list of generally drow-centric books). Of course if you find any sources that aren’t on the list yet then please let me know so that I can add them (and find me a copy for myself ;)).

And once again welcome, may you find a home of sorts here. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Well Shir'le, let me first start bay thanking you and Bhaern for having taken the time to share that list and that wonderfully written overview of yours on the books. It gave me a lot to think about, and certainly added a number of books to my already long list of books to get in my book case. And incidently, when I originally looked up Sacrifice of the Widow on walmart.com I notice that Ms. Smedman has finished book two of the trilogy. It's not in stock yet, but I felt it best to let my fellow Eilistraeens know that book 2 is coming! The name of the book is Storm of the Dead.

Though it's funny you should mention the Dark Elf Trilogy, because it was in fact that trilogy which turned me onto to the wonderful and fascinating drow in the first place. I'd always had a fondness for them because they are simply beautiful creatures, but reading those books rolled that fondness into flat out love. So naturally you can imagine my sadness knowing that the majority of drow are inherently evil, and in fact that seems to be what makes them so popular so I was damn near ecstatic when I heard about the Dark Lady. I've been obsessed ever since.
Though I have to agree with you about the Legend of Drizzt series, in that it does get boring after the initially trilogy, but I feel that I will still read them. They're on the back burner while I indulge my Eilistraeen cravings though.

I imagine my feelings about Hallistra were probably the same as yours. As I said before, she's one of the most disappointing characters I've ever read about and I felt very sad to see what had happened to her faith. To me though, I have to admit it didn't make sense that her faith faltered so very easily and count that among the many horrible sacrifices Paul Kemp made to ensure the series would end the way it was scripted to end. She just seemed like such a perfect Eilistraeen, kind and compassionate to Danifae during her servitude and treating her better than any other drow in the whole Underdark ever would treat a slave. That on top of all her other personality traits that I could go on and on listing painted the picture of her is such a way that when she turned back to Lloth I was left with my jaw on the floor (just a little before I almost tore the book in half at the binding) thinking to myself that this just didn't make sense.
War of the Spider Queen deserves a good rating from me for the fact that I loved the story itself, but truth be told that part of it will probably keep me from ever reading it again.

Whew...well, with that having been said I thank you again for the contribution. I look forward to reading as much as I can about the Dark Lady, even if I don't like what I see (hint hint, Lady Penitent, hint).

Now let us give a prayer to Ms. Smedman, and ask that she allow us to keep our beloved goddess.
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Well, maybe I'm not important at all here, but still I'd like to welcome you here. This place will be always your home, whenever you find it so.

(Ok I know it looks like I had a little too much booze... I'm doing the best I can to be nice, with which I have problems lately...)
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[i:2q1w5p4c]<hugs Argoth>[/i:2q1w5p4c]

You're just as important as everyone else here. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Yes, quite. Shir'le speaks truth. After all, what is a faith (or a forum for that matter) without even the quietest of people?

Now, next question. This will probably end up counting as a spoiler on my end, but I wanted to know just to get an idea of what to expect. The question is, does Liriel Baenre actually become a follower of our Dancing Lady, or does she just ally with them? I'll read the trilogy one way or another, but I kinda wanted to know in advance. I'm weird like that.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Based on Elaine comments it appears that Liriel will never atone, thus becoming a Priestess of Eilistraee. She so far has only taken the Dark Maiden as a patron deity (or at least far more then Lolth).
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

In my opinion we will learn if she became a follower soon enough. We have to wait for "the best of the realms vol3". There should be a story that's taking place about ten years after the events described in Windwalker.
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Hmm, interesting. Thank you.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[quote="Argoth":2zxwwcye]In my opinion we will learn if she became a follower soon enough. We have to wait for "the best of the realms vol3". There should be a story that's taking place about ten years after the events described in Windwalker.[/quote:2zxwwcye]
Interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

I've never read anthology stories like that, so I gotta wonder if it's going to be just a short story or a full book.
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

It's going to be a short stoty. I recall it is supposed to be an Elaine Cunningham anthology. Wonderfull woman.
Or just visit http://www.elainecunningham.com