Drow books

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

CrankyOzzie
Regular

Drow books

Post by CrankyOzzie »

Gimme list!!
Please?

I know some obvious ones are The Underdark, the Drizz't books, the Liriel Baenre books (I just finished reading the first one), but what are some others?
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[url=http://www.eilistraee.com/temple/books.php:q6iqj1s5]Temple of Eilistraee - Books[/url:q6iqj1s5] (look at the links on the right side of the page).

The lists are a little out of date though; I think the last time I updated it was before the sixth War of the Spider Queen book was released (as you can see I haven't giving it a cover yet). So Any books, sourcebooks and magazines and such (and I probably should start listing the comics as well even though I don't have any of them) let me know.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Iltzafein Elaug'dan
Maid
Maid

Post by Iltzafein Elaug'dan »

Lisa Smedman recently came out with "Sacrifice of the Widow" of the Lady Penitent Trilogy. A must-read for anyone interested in the war between Lloth, Vhaeraun, Eilistraee, and the other drow deities. It seems Eilistraee has not quite given up on Halistraa...
Shando
Regular

Post by Shando »

Damn, RA's books got extremely low ratings, didn't they? The only 5 star one was book 4 of the Spider Queen saga O.o'

The Starlight and Shadows scores though I agree with. The last book was getting good then just ended with(~Skips spoilers~) and made me quite sad and wanted to toss the novel at Cunningham's forehead.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[quote="Shando":1wpqg1zr]Damn, RA's books got extremely low ratings, didn't they? The only 5 star one was book 4 of the Spider Queen saga O.o'[/quote:1wpqg1zr]
Don't read too much into the scores just yet. For one, scores are meaningless without quantifying them (and it's not as straight-forward as is might seem). Secondly it's more a score of how "Eilistraeen" I feel the books are (not purely how "good" I think they are). And third all scores are just a first pass and nowhere near 'final'.

And of course all scores are subject to my taste as well, so what I like and don't like doesn't have to match what you do and don't like. ;)

And I welcome any discussion as to the scores; though that would probably be better once I actually quantified the scores and got their meanings straight in my head. :p

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Daughter of the Drow: 5\5
Tangeled Webs: 4.75\5
Windwalker (up to the final scene): 4.99\5
Windwalker eniding: 1\5 (it sucked)
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=indigo:fxo9azr1]Maybe a poll would help?[/color:fxo9azr1]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Iltzafein Elaug'dan
Maid
Maid

Post by Iltzafein Elaug'dan »

[quote="Argoth":1t3qejn9]Daughter of the Drow: 5\5
Tangeled Webs: 4.75\5
Windwalker (up to the final scene): 4.99\5
Windwalker eniding: 1\5 (it sucked)[/quote:1t3qejn9]

It's funny but I can even really remember how the ending was in Windwalker. All I remember is the barbarian dying after the battle and I thought Liriel was changed into a raven or something.....the ending definately was not clear as far as I can tell.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

I remember the ending. It seemed “hey, I’ve got a couple more pages; let’s kill off another major character for no reason whatsoever”. :bored:

As for a poll; well ideally we’d have to have one for each book, which could take a lot of posts (and I’d need to work out the meaning of the scores first). Beyond that I know that tastes differ and thus what some would consider a great book others would consider crap, so I’m trying to come up with a little more objective system. That’s not easy though.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

How about something like this:
[b:31ishpj6]The Plot[/b:31ishpj6](1 beeing predictable and frank to 10 having many twists and unpredictable turns... and a special grade of 11 when there's too much of it and you can't make out what happened.)
[b:31ishpj6]Style[/b:31ishpj6] (1 very low style, without finesse to 10 presenting pleasent to the eye, logically linked, having its couse and consequence order)
[b:31ishpj6]Language[/b:31ishpj6] (1 simple expressions, everything said strait forward, like "a glass of wine"; to 10 "an old slender crystal flashing with deep read liquid" or something similar; the descriptions, comparasons and so on)
[b:31ishpj6]Characters[/b:31ishpj6] (1 lifeless heroes, predictable without a purpose ; 10 very lifelike, making your empathy trait go off the scale)
Do you recomend? Your subjective opinion and grade.
I think stuff like that would give a fairly objective image of the books, and a separate thread for each book with posts with this scheme. All the trouble would be making all does threads, but as there are not as many books directly connected to drow I think there shouldn't be a problem with it. Any sugestions on what else could be graded? The most objectively?
Sar'Nel
Maid
Maid

Post by Sar'Nel »

There are not only books but also comic. This comic is in manga style, but it has a really deep story, which has just only begun. 12 chapters are ready, each are 60+ pages long. But you have to hurry because chapters 4-7 are going to be remade.

The comic is mainly about young drow girl Ariel who is a daughter of the leader of Val'Sarghess clan Quain'Tana. At the beginning the story is sad, in the middle fun and in the end it is mostly action.

I recommend this comic to everybody. :angel:
http://www.drowtales.com/
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

[quote="Sar'Nel":16d93345]There are not only books but also comic. This comic is in manga style, but it has a really deep story, which has just only begun. 12 chapters are ready, each are 60+ pages long. But you have to hurry because chapters 4-7 are going to be remade.

The comic is mainly about young drow girl Ariel who is a daughter of the leader of Val'Sarghess clan Quain'Tana. At the beginning the story is sad, in the middle fun and in the end it is mostly action.

I recommend this comic to everybody. :angel:
http://www.drowtales.com/[/quote:16d93345]

I know about this, I've subscribed to it.
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/