The Sundering is actually going to bring back all the gods

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Irennan
Champion

Re: The Sundering is actually going to bring back all the go

Post by Irennan »

WotC confirmed at the GenCon seminar that they have no plan to release any sourcebook o campaign guide for the Frogotten Realms in 5e. They will just put out some adventures and Elminster, Drizzt and Farideh (a tiefling girl) novels. This is just depressing, it means that FR will get basically no new lore, no real update on what happened after the Sundering, and no update about gods. I thought that Eilistraee and some news on her would have been included in a FRCG, but without it, the only book left that could have her returned is the DMG (which has been said to include info on Faerun and some gods that didn't make it in the PHB list). If the Dark Maiden doesn't appear in it, we can stay pretty sure that they are going to keep ignoring her, basically retconning her out of the setting, and this really saddens me...

I don't know what to think, even after what Ed said, any hope we get, WotC crushes it into the ground (that is unless he plans to bring Eilistraee back in a novel, which would be awesome but a very remote possibility).

It makes me wonder, what the heck was the purpose of all this stuff about the Sundering, the Realms returning to their origins and about wanting to get Realms fans back, if they are not even going to publish any book about the setting and the changes it underwent. That's kind of stupid, even from a marketing standpoint, if you ask me.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Indeed not what I would consider a good business idea, they might be looking for novels to keep Realms alive. This though appears not to fit in with announced novels either.

At lass WotC might be the orphan right now of Hasbro, if the orphan does not earn enough for its keep its keep gets reduced. In business realm that means, you operate on cash only, until you bring in more money then you cost (of which we take 10 percent of, or what ever percent) this is all you can spend. Research and/or development does not work that way. There again we do not want a 6th Edition next year either, a product does require care and nurture.

It appears from your post, Hasbro, maybe even WotC (WotC after all has other gaming products) does not want to nurture the Realms.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Yes, it does appear that they don't really care about the FR, despite all their good talking. All what they said sounds so hypocritical, so much for ''FR support''. Even their ''support for all eras'' catchphrase is definitely out of the window after this.

I feel bad for Ed and the designers who put their effort in the setting, it must really suck to see it ignored like this.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Mearls clarified

[quote:o47yy1x8]The original tweet doesn't capture the full story - we're not working on an FRCS right now because we are putting the bandwidth available for such a project into thinking about how to do an FRCS.

If you think of how we created fifth edition, we probably put more time and effort into determining what it needed to be (playtest, etc.) than into actually writing the final product.

The DMG is also still in the works - we won't even consider engaging in our next big RPG project until that is out the door, everyone has taken a vacation, and we're ready to tackle another huge project.[/quote:o47yy1x8]

Still, seems more damage control to me than a sincere statement.
Leema Har'gachi
Regular

Post by Leema Har'gachi »

Hey, guys the gods of faerun section of the new player's handbook doesn't have eilistraee in it and nether does the nonhuman deities either. REALLY! REALLY! ARRAAGH!
CODENAME:Leema
Class:Variant Illusionist Favored Soul {gestalt}
Race:Shadow Drow
Height:5'8"
Weight:158 Ib.
Hair:Yellowish
Eyes:Purple(pinwheel)
Skin:Pitch-black(surrounded by Shadowy Purple Aura)
Deity:Eilistraee
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Leema Har'gachi":23oxh2k9]Hey, guys the gods of faerun section of the new player's handbook doesn't have eilistraee in it and nether does the nonhuman deities either. REALLY! REALLY! ARRAAGH![/quote:23oxh2k9]

Well FR guide which might be out in a year or three might include her. After all she was only a FT deity.
Leema Har'gachi
Regular

[quote="Bhaern Quel":b2mmtsch][quote="Leema Har'gachi":b2mmtsch]Hey, guys the gods of faerun section of the new player's handbook doesn't have eilistraee in it and nether does the nonhuman deities either. REALLY! REALLY! ARRAAGH![/quote:b2mmtsch]

Well FR guide which might be out in a year or three might include her. After all she was only a FT deity.[/quote:b2mmtsch]
Oh god, I hope so. I really do. Also, good to talk to you Bhaern Quel sama.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

[quote="Leema Har'gachi":12lmo83k]Hey, guys the gods of faerun section of the new player's handbook doesn't have eilistraee in it and nether does the nonhuman deities either. REALLY! REALLY! ARRAAGH![/quote:12lmo83k]

We should wait for the DMG. I have a feeling that it will include nonhuman deities, and with them the Drow Pantheon. At the start of the deities section of the PHB (or the free basic rules) there's a paragraph that says that nonhuman also have full pantheons, so the authors didn't forget about them (they even used the full dwarven pantheon -including deities like Haela Brightaxe, previously thought dead during the SP- as example of active, worshipped deities. With the plethora of previously -even minor- dead gods listed as active once again in the human section of FR, basically the only ones missing are the elven/drow/halfling/gnomish pantheon, and we know that pre-Sundering all of them but the Dark Seldarine are alive. I really don't think that they will single them out, it would be like saying ''screw you in particular'' to us).

There have also been multiple hints by Ed on Eilistraee being brought back (which i quoted in this thread).
Leema Har'gachi
Regular

[quote="Irennan":2ecuy332][quote="Leema Har'gachi":2ecuy332]Hey, guys the gods of faerun section of the new player's handbook doesn't have eilistraee in it and nether does the nonhuman deities either. REALLY! REALLY! ARRAAGH![/quote:2ecuy332]

We should wait for the DMG. I have a feeling that it will include nonhuman deities, and with them the Drow Pantheon. At the start of the deities section of the PHB (or the free basic rules) there's a paragraph that says that nonhuman also have full pantheons, so the authors didn't forget about them.

There have also been multiple hints by Ed on Eilistraee being brought back (which i quoted in this thread).[/quote:2ecuy332]
The nonhuman deities are in the player's handbook, they have there own entire section, But aside from lolth no others from the drow pantheon are even mentioned. It is a total let down... Sign. :(

edit: on a side note, the basic game DMG has been release, though it is mostly monsters with some magic items.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

[quote="Leema Har'gachi":le240yv5][quote="Irennan":le240yv5][quote="Leema Har'gachi":le240yv5]Hey, guys the gods of faerun section of the new player's handbook doesn't have eilistraee in it and nether does the nonhuman deities either. REALLY! REALLY! ARRAAGH![/quote:le240yv5]

We should wait for the DMG. I have a feeling that it will include nonhuman deities, and with them the Drow Pantheon. At the start of the deities section of the PHB (or the free basic rules) there's a paragraph that says that nonhuman also have full pantheons, so the authors didn't forget about them.

There have also been multiple hints by Ed on Eilistraee being brought back (which i quoted in this thread).[/quote:le240yv5]
The nonhuman deities are in the player's handbook, they have there own entire section, But aside from lolth no others from the drow pantheon are even mentioned. It is a total let down... Sign. :(

edit: on a side note, the basic game DMG has been release, though it is mostly monsters with some magic items.[/quote:le240yv5]

I meant nonhuman deities as in full pantheons. Neither elves, nor dwarves, nor gnomes, nor halflings get full pantheons, merely ''chief'' deities. Furthermore even the human deities list is incomplete (for example Sharess, Hoar, Lurue, Nobanion -all known as active- are missing). What I'm saying (and that Mearls said) is that that list is for a PHB, not a FR guide and is incomplete.

The DMG will be released in November. It will include other deities and more on cosmology, it will also include some info on the Realms. So yeah, Eilistraee and other racial deities that didn't find room in the PHB may very well be there (I mean, with basically [i:le240yv5]all[/i:le240yv5] the damned gods of the Reals coming back, leaving E&V out would be stupid and would really feel like a ''screw you'' on their side).
Leema Har'gachi
Regular

[quote="Irennan":3agpxe81]

I meant nonhuman deities as in full pantheons. Neither elves, nor dwarves, nor gnomes, nor halflings get full pantheons, merely ''chief'' deities. Furthermore even the human deities list is incomplete (for example Sharess, Hoar, Lurue, Nobanion -all known as active- are missing). What I'm saying (and that Mearls said) is that that list is for a PHB, not a FR guide and is incomplete.

The DMG will be released in November. It will include other deities and more on cosmology, it will also include some info on the Realms. So yeah, Eilistraee and other racial deities that didn't find room in the PHB may very well be there (I mean, with basically [i:3agpxe81]all[/i:3agpxe81] the damned gods of the Reals coming back, leaving E&V out would be stupid and would really feel like a ''screw you'' on their side).[/quote:3agpxe81]

I guess we can only hope. ;)