Drow Language (+ Quick Intro)

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Talaste
Maid
Maid

Drow Language (+ Quick Intro)

Post by Talaste »

Hello! First off, I'd like to thank you all for the existence of this forum. I've become terribly fascinated with Drow lore in the Forgotten Realms setting and I've loved reading up on what information we've been given, as well as some of the things on this website and forum. Talaste is the name of the half-drow I play in one of my games, so I figured it would be an appropriate name to use here. c:

But what brings me here at this point is a desire for a more comprehensive resource for the language. I've had a lot of fun incorporating the language into my game, and when I realized I'd memorized some of the words, I figured it could be fun to start learning the language. A while back, I actually started a private Memrise course with the intention of chipping away at it over time, and I realize now that I think I want to expand that to a more formal dictionary, too. I don't have time to completely devote myself to it, of course, but it's something I really want to see in the future, especially considering how many more words we could use to expand the language, even after the efforts of people here. Besides the list of words on this website, I'd found the Drow Dictionary created by the Temple of Lolth, as well as a Drowic Classroom that tried to establish a pronunciation for the language. There's some things I'd probably change to suit my own preferences, but my main question here is how much of an interest there would be in any of this from others and how much anyone here might want to weigh in on such a project. I've realized there's not a lot of people who are interested in Drow lore that are in one, communal space, so I don't expect to see a lot of interest, but I wanted to put the idea out there to gauge the response.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: Drow Language (+ Quick Intro)

Post by Bhaern Quel »

As we try to maintain our own translator , there certainly should still be interest.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Re: Drow Language (+ Quick Intro)

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Hi Talaste and welcome to the forums. May you find a home of sorts here. :)

The question of a more comprehensive, focused effort to a formal drow dictionary has come up from time to time. The translator has a generated drow dictionary, though that only includes the 'confirmed' words and not the additional translations that people have submitted. At this point we're probably about two decades behind on going through those.

And that's I think the general issue. It's not that there isn't interest in such things, but that someone has to then sit down and actually do it. As you said you don't have time to devote to it yourself and that's true for, I think, most of us.

There are, in truth, several such projects I'd love to set up if I had the time for them. For instance, would also love this site to become a sort of Eilistraee wiki, a one-stop-shop for any and all information, both official and fan-made, about her. But alas, I lack the time.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee