Totally Useless Poll

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Which setting do you prefer for D&D?

Dragonlance
No votes
Planescape
8%
Eberron
No votes
Greyhawk
No votes
Forgotten Realms
69%
Chocolate Cake
23%

Total votes: 13

CrankyOzzie
Regular

Totally Useless Poll

Post by CrankyOzzie »

Just because I want to know everything! Which one do you prefer, and why?

I like Planescape. It's a diverse place, where anything can happen, and a character really has to be alert and aware of their surroundings, even in Sigil they have to be alert. And it's just cool to be able to play a Tiefling and not have people accuse of being lame. Add to that, Planescape can potentially be connected to ALL the D&D settings, and you have the makings of an 'out there' but interesting game. How about a Solamnic knight meeting up with a Harper Scout? Or a Kender running into an FR Halfling? An Aghar (that's a gully dwarf) coming across a Shield Dwarf?

Dragonlance comes second. I have read a fair few DL books, and I like the atmosphere of the world. It seems much more like a medieval place than FR, to me.

Forgotten Realms is third. It seems like every man and his dog has at least one magical device. Magic is good, but hwen it's as commonplace as it seems to be in the realms, it becomes a blase thing.

Greyhawk and Eberron I've never really gotten into.
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Nothing beats chocolate cake. :D

More seriously though I definitely prefer the Forgotten Realms out of those choices (for one, it’s the only setting that officially includes Eilistraee).

Since Flesh for Lolth I absolutely detest Greyhawk. I have no interest in Eberron (why would Wizards create a bland new setting when they’ve already got so many to work with). I don’t know much about Dragonlance, but from what I understand it’s a great setting for stories, but not so good for roleplaying in. Planescape often seems to be weird just for the sake of being weird and while I like plannar-hopping I like it little more… normalcy in my settings.

You also missed out on Darksun (which I don’t know that much about either), Ravenloft (nice setting for horror and such, but I personally get tired of undead) and Starjammer (sounds interesting enough). Then there are other Forgotten Realms settings such as Kara-Tur and Maztica.

Still nothing beats chocolate cake; or anything chocolate-y. :p

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

I know I missed some. But to include all of them would make the poll too long, so I chose the ones most would have likely heard about. If I wanted to include them all, I'd have to have included Spelljammer, Mystara, Blackmoor, Al-Qadim, Birthright, Council of Wyrms, Lankhmar, Wilderlands of High Fantasy, Pelinore, Rokugan, Kingdoms of Kalamar, Jakandor, and Ghostwalk. Quite a list, as you can see.

Most of them are, admittedly, obscure and never went beyond a few books, or are produced by companies other than WoTC/TSR.

That list was compiled with the help of the [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_& ... s:1yf3fuvs]Dungeons & Dragons Campaign Settings[/url:1yf3fuvs] article at Wikipedia, so the information may be a bit inaccurate.
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/
Aessinus
Maid
Maid

Post by Aessinus »

FR for me too, for exactly the reason Shir'le mentioned. Even after 30+ :eek: years of gaming, the realms are so diverse that they never become tedious. Gygax, TSR and WotC have created so much documentation that one could never exhaust the subject matter.

Besides, I like fireballs.......... If it doesn't look like you, cook it!
Cameron Creek Mule Farm & Smithy
Aessinus & Son, Proprietors
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Well basicly I like chocolate cake. And FR. And drow aspecially. And I feel like I'm half asleap. Why does this monitor floating on a large wave of chocolate? What's that chery doing on the place of my head?
Ceistant
Maid
Maid

Post by Ceistant »

Forgotten Realms by far, with Planescape a very close second.
Mend the broken blade of my Father.. to
Recover the lost blade of my Sister.. by
Honoring the silver blade of my Mother.. so
I may Forge my own..
Velve
Regular

Post by Velve »

It was such a hard feat to choose Forgotten realms over chocolate cake... But I have never played a chocolate cake setting, only eated it... so I had to choose Forgotten Realms.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Velve":6xbd4yvh]But I have never played a chocolate cake setting[/quote:6xbd4yvh]
Oh, there is definitely a chocolate cake setting... preferably on the table in front of me. :p

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Mousestalker
Maid
Maid

Post by Mousestalker »

I like chocolate cake, but as I'm a diabetic, chocolate cake doesn't like me :(

So I voted for FR. Simply because it has the most fully developed drow culture. Dragonlance comes in second. I just can't get into Eberron as it's too 'technical/industrial'. FR is fully developed, perhaps too fully, but it's a nice mix of medieval/magical.

I've played others, but I keep coming back to FR (although I was in an incredible DL campaign for a couple of years (great DM)).
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

I like chocolate cake, mixed with chocholate cake, and a little chocolate cake on the side.

My favourite is Planescape. It's a connection to everything in everyway...Exept that the Lady of Pain is a real ass-hole...She kiled already five of my characters...

Forgoten Realms I really haven't played that much wich is why I'm still confused.

Dragonlance is FAR to confusing for my tiny brain...

About the rest I really don't know...
:3
Nedylene
Hero||Heroine

Post by Nedylene »

forgotten realms and planescape..most definetly..and rooky..if it makes you feel better i played an epic god campaign and killed the lady of pain a while ago..lol..
Karak
Maid
Maid

Post by Karak »

forgotten realams Drizzt Kick ass...dragonlance is just fun to read with the kender otherwise it to slow and it jumps allot in some places...cheers mates
The Dark Army Will Rise Again And Lay The World Under Shadow Garboch Da''Jinn (Domedags boken 45:67)
Mousestalker
Maid
Maid

Post by Mousestalker »

I forgot to mention that I'm a huge fan of Garweeze Wurld. I'd love to face the Untouchable Three plus One in game.

:)