Where has...?

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Ogrim
Maid
Maid

Where has...?

Post by Ogrim »

Where has everyone gone? I see a few scattered faces now and then, still posting in the roleplay boards, trying to breathe life into old threads that have ground to a halt a long time hence, and then there's new players once in awhile, make their big debut, one post, and then nothing else after. So many great threads, and no one around to DM where it's needed, or even continue telling the stories planned out for the adventurers. Being busy with RL is of course understandable, but used to be we all dropped a line once in awhile, just to let everyone here know we haven't fallen off the planet or anything like that.

This is Ogrim, and I'm missing all my friends and RP companions, and hope to hear/see something from everyone soon.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: Where has...?

Post by Bhaern Quel »

As you might know, I am here reading almost every day. Just hard to extend play or even discussions when others might be here once a week if not longer.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I'm always around. But yes. While this site has always been quieter than most the last couple of months seem to have been particularly quiet. At times weeks go by without anyone posting.

It worries me.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Ogrim
Maid
Maid

Post by Ogrim »

Wonderful to hear from anyone on here at least. Though I do wonder, Shir'le, why is it I have not ever seen you join in the fun? I grant it's difficult to have much fun right now, what with one person after another vanishing, and becoming unresponsive to even private messages, or emails, but for certain you'd be absolutely welcome to join in the RPs too.

Still, it is a little strange that the forum has become all this quiet. It makes me worry that any number of recent events either IRL or on the forum may have caused some sort of upset that drove them all to leave. I can only compare this to the likes of losing a whole social circle at once, and not even knowing why.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[quote="Ogrim":teva9b9p]Though I do wonder, Shir'le, why is it I have not ever seen you join in the fun?[/quote:teva9b9p]
Time mostly. It's easy enough to follow the forums and post a message now and again, but to keep track and participate in an RP thread takes a bit more dedication. And at times I can spare that, but at others there are periods where I'm just too busy with work. In the past I feel that I've 'killed' more than a few roleplaying threads because I couldn't post regularly in it anymore (and in general work tends to keep me more busy than it used to).

[quote="Ogrim":teva9b9p]Still, it is a little strange that the forum has become all this quiet. It makes me worry that any number of recent events either IRL or on the forum may have caused some sort of upset that drove them all to leave. I can only compare this to the likes of losing a whole social circle at once, and not even knowing why.[/quote:teva9b9p]
I wonder if perhaps the site is feeling the effects of Wizards killing Eilistraee. People tend to leave, that's normal. That's usually offset by new people joining. But now that Eilistraee doesn't exist anymore in the new canon most new players don't come across the name much anymore, so they don't get curious and search for more about her, and thus don't come across this site.

This is also why WotC saying "hey, every deity you want to be alive in D&D Next is alive" doesn't cut it. They actually have to mention her, detail things about her, occasionally revisit her and expand on her (and her religion) so that people keep seeing her.

Maybe I'm seeing that wrong. Maybe it's just that people are busy. But in my mind that would explain why it's started to get quieter here lately.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Coming to know about Eilistraee is fairly easy for any new player who has interest in the Dark Elves. When looking for info on the web, or while reading Drow related novels and so on, there's a nice chance to see her name. I learned about her not through canon, but by reading novels (and IIRC some people [i:393828l2]did[/i:393828l2] come here asking about her, even in the 4e era).
She is popular, so even now her presence in various material and on the net can be considered decent IMO (even tho not being mentioned in the new canon surely doesn't help...).

EDIT: Now that I think about it -according to what I've learned from the reviews- the new Menzo book drops a brief mention of Eilistraee as a ''old'' Drow deity, so she is still included in the latest official source about the Dark Elves (not that WotC gives a crap about Eilistraee, Vhaearun or free drow, since they seem to have some unreasonable hatred towards any kind of variety and depth when it comes to ''evil'' races, preferring to keep using the old and dumbed down concept of ''innate alignment'').
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

Though Irennan's response is a bit off topic, I must say, much to the dismay of an inflexible WotC, they will never escape having put their mark of approval, on NWN : HotU, NWN 2, and Demon Stone (PS2 game), all of which are Forgotten Realms, all of which have good drow in them, and two of which have references to Eilistraee. They're going to have to wait a century or two for all the world to forget the names RA Salvatore, and Drizzt Do'urden, before they can realistically successfully distance themselves from having approved the concept of good Drow, long ago, without almost every player scoffing at them and playing good Drow anyway.

So far, the only games I see restricting most races to innate alignments is Pathfinder Society, but that's not actually WotC.

In any case, Ogrim, you start something fun, I'm always game for participating, and also, I would like to second the motion, to invite and welcome Shir'le to join in the RPs. Err... that is of course supposing she doesn't already...? I know I've not seen much if any participation from her myself,that I can remember.
Primary (Pheurazath AKA Kalkyril Ilindl)
Secondary (Virgil Stahne -- A repentant Warlock)
Other Secondary (Skrach -- A rogue, a rat, touched by the best)
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Sorry for the OT. Wizards tried to get rid of the concept of free Drow (the only exception being Drizzt) with their first edition change (TSR started the good drow thing).

There was a plan to bring back both the siblings last Summer with a Drow sourcebook, but (even after lore and art were produced) they decided to ignore the authors of the book and the fans by leaving on the cutting floor what would have been a fitting and reasonable explanation to a poorly handled RSE, which was there only to make the most out of their decision of removing the Dark Seldarine (and not because it was an enriching and natural evolution of the Drow story, as it actually removed any FR-specific characterization of the race).

One of the authors of the book said that it probably was the last chance we had to see more about Eilistraee and Vhaeraun, cause Wizards currently has no interest in non lolthite Drow. There's also that nonsensical line dropped at the end of the LP books, something about ''the unwilling being cast down'' (ROFL, seriously...) which means that the only Dark Elves remaining are the ''ebil'' ones, cause the others are now brownies.

Put this together and the picture is pretty clear: Wizards don't want free Drow in their setting as a faction, they can only accept a handful of them spread on all Toril and want the race to return to merely consist of religious fanatics who do bad stuff because evil, w/o any real motivation. Same goes for Orcs (they are bloody savages and brutes, only a handful can think out of that scheme) and so on. This totally is enforcing ''innate alignment'' in my eyes, even if not explicitly (Ofc one can do w/e (s)he pleases in his/her own campaign, but we're talking about the setting itself here, and about what we get from WotC material).

Sorry again about the OT, but I feel strongly about this matter. I'll try to get less involved.
Agmasek
Maid
Maid

Post by Agmasek »

[img:p3x8nqge]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k248/ ... y/poof.gif[/img:p3x8nqge]

Renji appears in all his dashing foxiness, wraps Shir'le in a big hug and tries to comfort, "Now, now, no gettin' down on yourself, life happens to people, and most players here understand that. No one's blaming you for 'killing' anything. And for that matter, Bhaern and Ogrim have a ovely new thread going, that seems to have a splendid little setup going on, where if any of us get too busy or distracted by Real Life, to make regular posts, the NPCs take our characters to a bedroom to sleep until we return and are able to join in again. So, please come on down an' join us in yonder Tavern." Places a kiss on her, a peck on the cheek, with a tickle of whiskers, and steps aside for the player to comment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heheh, you know you've found a character that defines you, when you can be yourself RPing them in an OOC context. Anyhow, I don't know much about WotC and what they're trying to do with Eilistraee, and frankly, they can do whatever they want with canon. As I heard it, canon had killed Eilistraee off during the Time of Troubles, and even still we have defied canon and played to the concept of a Faerun where that one little detail didn't happen quite that way. Why should it stop us now?

In any case, when I found CoE, it all began with me looking for a translator online, for converting Common to Drow, and back again. I found it, and for many months I only cared about using that. Then, I got curious over time, and began to peek at the forums, it wasn't long after I was hooked, and then began spreading word to all of my friends IRL and online in other RP mediums, that I knew would enjoy it. When the RPs happen, and they keep happening, and there's clearly plenty of fun to be had here, more will come. Just as I did, drawn in, by this beautiful virtual community and all the fun everyone had together in their RPs.
Agmasek (Shadow Dragon, Illusionist, Shadow Mage)
Alternative Characters: Yonmei and Renji Kitsuki (Kitsune Rogues [Pathfinder Advanced Race Guide]),
and their Grandfather, Shiru Kitsuki
Zekafae
Champion

Post by Zekafae »

Well if it's any consolation I'm still alive and here, and poke my head in from time to time. Not sure how many remember me or are even still here, but never the less I've been absurdly busy with things. I've completed my assoc degree in game design, I'm now working for a small developer working on a game. (Look up Druid Gameworks for all the available information on the game, and the company) I'm going back to school this fall to get my bachelors degree, so I'll have that and hopefully a more profitable full time job when I am done. On the more independant and creative front I have been working on building a whole new world, with new races, cultures, locations.. basically Setting everything up so if I wish I can make a board game, or Preferably a video game. I'm pretty much stuck on building the world/regions and names. Once I get all that settled I'll have a map. And yes Zekafae will be making an appearance in it.. as a very unique version of himself. Eventually I'll have a map and artwork done(by myself) and I'll share. And if I do make it into a dnd style game it's definitely going to have Eilistraee(or some other form of.. I do have some ideas for this) in the end thats what I've been doing and where I've been... I need to really sit down and enjoy NVN2 and actually play it again. Been WAY too long.
Site, story being redone
Stats added story still in works

http://dragcave.net/user/Zekafae (click please?)

Twilight vampires are the vampire equivalent of Pluto...
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Sounds cool. Good luck with your job, and have fun designing your own game. Maybe we'll see your work in the stores, someday 8)
Zekafae
Champion

Post by Zekafae »

I'm just a level designer, what I WILL be doing will be helping spread the word. We're looking at releasing on Steam via the greenlight.. or the spotlight(forgot what it's called) As for multi-platform? I'd like to see it happen, but who knows. Of course I'd love to work on a DND game where we can allow Eilistraee but I can do one better. As I'm working on my own game idea and creating the world slowly piece by piece developing culture and so on. There will be a deity similar to the sword maiden, and she isn't gonna die. But she's definitely gonna be laying down the law when given the chance.
Site, story being redone
Stats added story still in works

http://dragcave.net/user/Zekafae (click please?)

Twilight vampires are the vampire equivalent of Pluto...
Ghaunadan_Lost
Maid
Maid

Post by Ghaunadan_Lost »

Irennan...I'm not sure exactly where this came from, but I've always pictured a Drow "goddess of rage" named Kaduur who looked like a Drow version of the creepy little girl/sister from the original Dune film. Imagine - a Drow deity that looks 7 years old, always wearing creepy black robes (see the film) and can tear the world apart using psionics. ...Eh, works for me anyway.
Dragonessa
Maid
Maid

Post by Dragonessa »

A bit late to the party (as usual)....

Honestly I never really liked much about D&D except for the Drow. That I thought was a good creative race concept. The alignment bit where everyone is EVIL however is way too shallow. It makes the whole thing sort of a Disney-esque GOOD vs BAD which I find quite trite. No offense to Disney intended mind you! (Never know where Mickey's spies are... :angel: ) Then of course them killing off the only decent goddess in the whole idiot pantheon basically ended my interest in anything related to WotC for good. :devil:

I do find myself resurrecting Eilistraee in quite a few of my various projects though she never has the same name. (Despite her being killed off, I bet whomever owns the rights to the name would be all over anybody that used it in a commercial product!) So in that sense she still sort of lives on. :D
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[quote="Dragonessa":2v1cnr14]So in that sense she still sort of lives on. :D[/quote:2v1cnr14]
As long as we keep her alive she will always live on. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee