Are drow underpowered?

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

You both have a point.
Vendrin in the fact that theyre abilities give them a lot of power and this crapy LA of +2.

Also Argoth has a point, because you're character just ain't a drow without they're abilities. I mean come on...They work with magic 24-7 and not develop a tad bt of an immunity? Eaven that happens in fantasy.

It just needs a little bit of tweeking.
:3
Vendrin
Maid
Maid

Post by Vendrin »

[quote="Argoth":21jiqxqp]Why? That wouldn't give any variaty or spice to Your character. It would be the same as in the Temple of Elemental Evil. There is one drow picture for a character, but doesn't mean anything.[/quote:21jiqxqp]

Because I don't need special abilities or powers to give my character variety. I can do that with my rp.
"What does God want? Does God want goodness or the choice of goodness? Is a man who chooses evil perhaps in some way better than a man who has good imposed upon him?"
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Re: Are drow underpowered?

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[quote="Joseph Silver":3l2msuhg]Quite frankly, I feel that drow are incredibly underpowered except when used as NPCs. NPCs do not really suffer from the level adjustment because the DM decides what level the drow NPC starts at without worrying about leveling him up.[/quote:3l2msuhg]

You're kidding, right? Drow are awesome. I'm playing a drow wizard in PnP and he completely outclasses the other party members. (Although our GM isn't using the drow LA, but he is using the bonuses/penalties) He's a lvl 3 wizard who has an INT of 20, can levitate at will, magic missile at will, and has all other drow bonuses (except spell-abilities, but he still kicks ass).
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Alak Xiltyn
Regular

Re: Are drow underpowered?

Post by Alak Xiltyn »

[quote="Unen_Stealthfoot":2ghrflfi]You're kidding, right? Drow are awesome. I'm playing a drow wizard in PnP and he completely outclasses the other party members. (Although our GM isn't using the drow LA, but he is using the bonuses/penalties) He's a lvl 3 wizard who has an INT of 20, can levitate at will, magic missile at will, and has all other drow bonuses (except spell-abilities, but he still kicks ass).[/quote:2ghrflfi]

Yes but normally you'd be level 1 and wouldn't be able to use magic missile or levitate at will.
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

That's one point to it. I play with some friends and we use every bonus and penalty there is. And still my bard kicks ass. Drow kick ass!! :devil:
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Vendrin":3rfchech]Because I don't need special abilities or powers to give my character variety. I can do that with my rp.[/quote:3rfchech]
Amen.

For the record, my intention is to implement the "Lesser Drow" subrace (alongside the normal one) for the server. This is, basically, a drow without spell resistance, higher attributes or the ecl, but retaining some spell ability (weaker spells though) and light sensitivity.

By keeping both choices people can choose for themselves which one they prefer.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

And Amen to that.