Question of opinion!

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Kaote Bruchedaine
Maid
Maid

Question of opinion!

Post by Kaote Bruchedaine »

I wish to know if any of you have an opinion on the subject of quasi-deity?
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: Question of opinion!

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well demi deities have existed so I see no direct problem with something called quasi-deity. This however clearly depends on how is introduced and stated.
Kaote Bruchedaine
Maid
Maid

Post by Kaote Bruchedaine »

Well my understanding is that a Demigod as it were is very low on the deity scale.

A Quasi-Deity on the other hand is an individual that has one deity parent and one mortal parent but does not have a godhood of their own. While they are unnaturally powerful compaired to others of their mortal race they lack the majority of the traits of godhood in that they are not usually imortal, they can almost never bestow powers or abilities on others and those few that can are only able to do so while in proximity, and have no divine domain.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well that would be like Hercules son of Zeus, very high stat however no divine powers. As a PC not sure how to stat one, however if one was made clearly would need a level adjustment of some kind to maintain game balance.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

Actually, Hercules/Heracles would be more of a demigod, since he DID have divine strength and toughness. While he was not immortal, he was also extremely resistant to illness and injury. It took a trick by a vengeful dead foe (Nessus the centaur) and the anger of a jealous wife (using Nessus blood to poison his shirt while believing it would bring back his love for her) to do him in.
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Aylstra Illianniis":1rh9ycz8]Actually, Hercules/Heracles would be more of a demigod, since he DID have divine strength and toughness. While he was not immortal, he was also extremely resistant to illness and injury. It took a trick by a vengeful dead foe (Nessus the centaur) and the anger of a jealous wife (using Nessus blood to poison his shirt while believing it would bring back his love for her) to do him in.[/quote:1rh9ycz8]

I disagree, a demigod in D&D could grant spells and had temples and prays/worship. As I see it, he comes close to almost deity in that he did have divine strength and certain resistances, he though could be killed. A demi-deity can not be killed unless on its home plane. I would, and of course note calls for opinion, that Hercules/Heracles more fits the definition of Quasi-Deity.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

In the Deities and Demigods book from AD&D (1980), Hercules was listed as a full demi-god in the Greek pantheon, which is, AFAIK, the only time he was ever actually fully statted for the game. It did mention that he will have nothing to do with magic-users or clerics, which I assume means that he has no priests, and will not grant spells , but that is not directly stated in that source. However, his entry does indeed call him a demi-god. His sole domain appears to be strength. It was only in later editions (4th ed, IIRC) that his status was changed to quasi-deity-. Planescape did not have an entry on him, that I recall, but presumably his status did not change. And I am fairly certain he was never even mentioned in 3rd or 3.5.
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188