So..

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

CrankyOzzie
Regular

So..

Post by CrankyOzzie »

Or, more correctly, what sort of system do the people who already hve it here, run it on? Some detailed specs would be nice, as I am going to be checking prices on PC parts over the next couple of months, and want an idea on what can run it well.

How does it run on your system? Do you have to turn graphics options off to run it well? Can you run it at full optins? Please comment.
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/
Jubilee
Maid
Maid

Post by Jubilee »

It has steep system requirements, one of the few downsides it has, but quad-core CPU's from Intel are coming out this christmas, and ones of AMD in later winter/srping, and another gen of graphics cards are already coming out, and Nvidia has had better reliability and compatability.
It is difficult for others to truly speak their heart or listen to it. The words often prove difficult, or they do not come at all - Brianna
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

Pity that quad core CPUs will cost as much as a new system when first released ;) About $1,600 US, apparently. About the only people who will get any good use out of them will be those doing MAJOR video or multimedia work. And even then, the performance increase, according to APC (Asutralian Personal COmputer) will be marginal. Something like 5 to 10 %
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[quote="Jubilee":y5ecj7e8]It has steep system requirements, one of the few downsides it has, but quad-core CPU's from Intel are coming out this christmas, and ones of AMD in later winter/srping, and another gen of graphics cards are already coming out, and Nvidia has had better reliability and compatability.[/quote:y5ecj7e8]

[color=darkred:y5ecj7e8]SWEEEEEETTTT!!!!!!!! ok, a bit over the top :oops: [/color:y5ecj7e8]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

Bumpz
Someone? Anyone? Please, reply with your experiences and whatnot. I'd hate to spend $1,500 on a new PC, only to find out nwn2 runs like a crippled dog on it.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I’ve got a pretty good system:

Alienware
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+
2GB Memory
nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX 512MB
Create SoundBlaster Audigy 4
Etc.

And it’s running pretty decent on my system with high settings at 1680x1050 (widescreen). Still, I haven’t maxed everything; I’m running shadows a tick lower than maximum (no environment shadows), have turned off water refraction (reflection is still on), don’t have the highest quality textures (though I probably could). For the rest everything pretty much turned on.

I tend to be fairly tolerant of lower framerates though; I think I get somewhere between 20 and 30 frames and now and again in certain areas dropping below that (such as in areas with a lot of water where, at time, I’ve turned the reflections off as well to improve frames a little). I’m quite certain that I could get better results by switching things down a bit more or running a slightly lower resolution. If you have a much weaker system you might have to turn things down a lot more.

But despite not running at absolute maximum settings I think the game looks very good. While Oblivion (the [i:1pmiiujk]other[/i:1pmiiujk] highly-demanding game) has perhaps more beautiful forests and vistas, Neverwinter Nights 2 is looking better in just about everything else (particularly shadows; Oblivion never had self-shaded characters working that I’ve seen and a lot of the objects in the world don’t cast any shadows at all). And I think it’s good to remember that no system can run NWN2 at maximum specs just yet; the game is made for the future so that three or four years from now it still looks good.

Yes, Neverwinter Nights 2 has some pretty hefty system requirements. And even the best of computers won’t be able to run with everything maxed. Still, I feel that the game looks quite beautiful and is, more importantly, a [i:1pmiiujk]lot[/i:1pmiiujk] of fun to play.

I hope that was helpful.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

Thanks for replying.
Just did a quick costing of the parts you mentioned.
$1345 AU.
That's not including case, power supply, DVD rom, extra case fans, or hard drives.

However, by swapping the 7900GTX for a 7900GS (256MB), I can get the following.

otherboard
Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+

RAM
GeIL 2Gb 800MHz

Hard Drives
2x 320Gb Seagate Barracuda

DVD Writer
LG 16/6/5 DVD±RW

Video Card
Gainward GeForce 7900 GS 256Mb

Case
Antec "Performance TX" TX640B Medi-tower ATX Case w/ 400w ATX 2.0 PSU - Black
TOTAL $1920.00

By including the card you mentioned, that increases the cost to $2,295

And they said Oblivion was going to be a hungry game...
Ceistant
Maid
Maid

Post by Ceistant »

Hello all.. I saw the website on the NWN2 Community listing and just had to check it out.

As for System Specs with NWN2, here is what I am running at the moment.

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 3500+

Memory
1GB Ram

GFX Card
RADEON X800 Pro AGP (256 Video RAM)

I just wrapped the final fight and through out the entire game, it ran smoothly. The only time I ever saw even a brief drop in FPS was either during combat with larger groups of mobs, or after I had been playing from a long time. Even then it was brief and few.

I have it running on a couple of machines here and so far only one of them has had issues with the game. At first glance I thought it could be hardware, but it turned out to be a CPU heat issues that I just never noticed till I started from running NVN2. Replaced a Case Fan and changed out my CPU Fan and it runs fine now.

I found this site on the Atari forums, it was what I checked when I first had issues with the other machine..

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

It gives you a pretty clear look at how your system matches up.

The only thing my machines didn't pass for the "Recomended Systems Specs" was the Vertex and Pixel Shader (I have v2.0 on my machines verus v3.0)

Like I mentioned the game ran smooth all the way through to the end.

Hope that Helps :D