Font discussion

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Font discussion

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[EDIT] This post was split off from a post in the roleplaying forums. In the original post Ozzy used the shirle font without changing the size. But it looked fine for him since he didn't have the font installed. My response and the following discussion are below.

If you're going to use that font then you might want to also increase the font size so people can actually read it.

Like this. This size people should be able to read even if they're running at higher resolutions.[/size:3evjmqkf]

:)

Still, it might be advisable to use a normal font instead. ;)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
Last edited by Shir'le E. Illios on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

Huh? The font family I used was "Shirle, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" at normal font size. What resolution is your screen? Mine is 1024x768 on a 17" CRT. (this part was written in the default font at normal size)

Arial, sans-serif, normal font size
Courier, monospace, normal font size
Times New Roman, serif, normal size
Shirle, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif, normal size

P.S. There is an actual font called Shirle? Where can I get it, I'd like to check Shirle.. err, the font, out
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

The “Shirle” font is really just civitype with a few modifications I’ve made. It’s a really small font, so that at the default size it’s very hard to read.

You can download the font [url=http://www.eilistraee.com/fonts/shirle.ttf:2dmdhjx9]here[/url:2dmdhjx9]. Just copy it into your windows fonts directory. Then you can see for yourself (if you don’t have it then it should use Verdana instead).

I really should try to modify the font so that the characters are bigger by default, but I don’t even have the program to change True-Type Fonts anymore.

As for what resolution I’m using… here at work I’m on 1600x1200 on a 17" (I think) LCD screen. And trust me, I can’t read it. :p

The font is really not the best one to use for normal posting.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":2czvn2q1]The “Shirle” font is really just civitype with a few modifications I’ve made. It’s a really small font, so that at the default size it’s very hard to read.

You can download the font [url=http://www.eilistraee.com/fonts/shirle.ttf:2czvn2q1]here[/url:2czvn2q1]. Just copy it into your windows fonts directory. Then you can see for yourself (if you don’t have it then it should use Verdana instead).

I really should try to modify the font so that the characters are bigger by default, but I don’t even have the program to change True-Type Fonts anymore.

As for what resolution I’m using… here at work I’m on 1600x1200 on a 17" (I think) LCD screen. And trust me, I can’t read it. :p

The font is really not the best one to use for normal posting.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le[/quote:2czvn2q1]

1600x1200 on a screen that size? Doesn't that hurt your eyes? I know I'd be sitting there with my face almost pressed against the monitor.

Oooh, Shirle is nice! So elegant, nice curves . . . What? I meant the font! :roll:
It's very nice, would be a shame to get rid of it. Perhaps your could put the font in a group by itself? I do see what you mean about it being hard to read. Even on my resolution, at 12 point (standard font size for windows) it's a squint-fest to make it out.
I know I like using Verdana for on screen text, as sens-serif fonts are easier to read for most people -- myself included -- than serif fonts.

Edit: Wow! if you want to see something really weird, open the Shirle font in windows without installing it. Go to a thread that uses it, then close the font viewer down. :uh-huh:
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Ok, I looked it up and I was wrong… it’s 20inches. To be precise I’m using [url=http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,17 ... p:393r30em]this screen[/url:393r30em] at work.

What do I know… as long as I can see my web browser I’m happy. :tear:

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

It's amazing really. Croatia wants to get into the EU. How the hell are we supposed to do that, when the bloody English/Netherlanders, use high-tech computers, and we're still stuck with typing machines?! Is life really that curel?!
:3
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

Judging by that, you're etither in the games industry, the graphics design/digital media industry, or your boss is just really rich.

Personally, I can't stand LCDs, they make my eyes hurt after about ten minutes of usage. Then again, that might just be the cheap & nasty ones at college I have to put up with.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[quote="CrankyOzzie":25f0my38]Judging by that, you're etither in the games industry[/quote:25f0my38]
Bingo! ;)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

/me nods knowingly.
'twas either one of those two, or working in CGI/animation for a producton studio. They are the three most likely jobs to use a monitor that size, when talking about IT/tech related stuff.

Well, that and I vaguley... vaug... sort of recall reading about your job on the old forums ;)

Edit: P.S. Could this discussion please be moved to the 'General' Forums?
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[quote="CrankyOzzie":1e1l6ku2]Edit: P.S. Could this discussion please be moved to the 'General' Forums?[/quote:1e1l6ku2]
Done.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":m8nzuois][quote="CrankyOzzie":m8nzuois]Edit: P.S. Could this discussion please be moved to the 'General' Forums?[/quote:m8nzuois]
Done.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le[/quote:m8nzuois]

Oops, I guess I should have been more specific. I only meant the parts where we were talking about fonts and whatnot. :o
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[quote="CrankyOzzie":2zh5ix1j]Oops, I guess I should have been more specific. I only meant the parts where we were talking about fonts and whatnot. :o[/quote:2zh5ix1j]
Alright, alright. I split the topic (as you can see) and moved the original back to the Campaigns forum.

Sheez, you try to help someone... :p

Was the first time I tried splitting posts though. Couldn't do that on the old forums. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":cj1mtpkx][quote="CrankyOzzie":cj1mtpkx]Oops, I guess I should have been more specific. I only meant the parts where we were talking about fonts and whatnot. :o[/quote:cj1mtpkx]
Alright, alright. I split the topic (as you can see) and moved the original back to the Campaigns forum.

Sheez, you try to help someone... :p

Was the first time I tried splitting posts though. Couldn't do that on the old forums. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le[/quote:cj1mtpkx]

Even more reason to "move house" over to these ones ;) Thanks, o' Grand High Priestess. At least now, people won't be confused at an obviously "In Character" post being in the general forums ;)
Barrok
Maid
Maid

Post by Barrok »

Thanks for the font. I am somewhat addicted to collecting them as I use them when trying to make netbooks up.