It's over =(

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shando
Regular

It's over =(

Post by Shando »

A few months ago, before I discovered this site and such, I picked up a novel called "Best of the Realms." In this book were gathered quite a few great tales, but one author's story and character jumped out at me, and led me to my love for the Forgotten Realms. Who is this author? Elaine Cunningham.

Anyway, let me get to my point <.<" After reading the Best of the Realms, I decided to go to the bookstore to see what other things from Cunningham I could find. Oddly enough, I found two novels based on the character which grew on me--even though we were only acquainted for 100 pages--and read the first book, Daughter of the Drow for 6 hours straight the first night.

After finishing the second book I found out that the last book was still out there. After months of searching(well half assed searching :p ) I finally found Windwalker last weekend.

I finished it a few hours ago and it left a stale taste in my mouth ^^" Well, what lies ahead is a massive spoiler so do not read unless you know what I am talking about.

Spoilers ahead:

Why kill off Fydor? He and Liriel were made to be together >.< And what is with the rushed ending? So Liriel stays with the witches? That's it? Bah...I was expecting some bloody return to the Underdark or at least a battle with Shakti, not a small discussion =/ Oh, and why didn't she call a healer? It is like the last few pages of chapter 19 were "OH CRAP! I GOT NO MORE ROOM!" so the tale ended a horrible way. The worst part? That there is room for another quest, but no more will be written T.T I still love Elaine, if not for her I would not posting this rant today, still though, the ending made me want to toss the book out the window <.<"

Soilers ended:

Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest ^^" Questions? Comments? Leave them here XD

Sorry for the long topic ^^"
Nedylene
Hero||Heroine

Post by Nedylene »

I can sympathize..Though I havent read that series I just HATE when you fall in love with a series or character and it just ENDS like that..
Shando
Regular

Post by Shando »

It is good to find someone who understands my insanity :P

The series is great! So read it if you haven't! It did get me really into Forgotten Realms after all XD
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Windwalker made me feel as if she didn’t really want to write it, maybe was forced to by Wizards (with it being released in the ‘year of the drow’ and all), and that she took it out on her characters. All too often it felt like she was killing off characters (or nearly killing them off) for no apparent reason whatsoever. Her treatment of the Eilistraeens felt… wrong, and the ending too left me feel very dissatisfied. Not as bad as Resurrection mind, but certainly ranking up there.

Overall, after how much I enjoyed the first two books in the series (as well as some of her other book) the book was a [i:3p6vesk8]huge[/i:3p6vesk8] disappointment.

A real shame. :/

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Shando
Regular

Post by Shando »

Yeah, the first book was just [i:3mjk0b80]amazing[/i:3mjk0b80], definatly my favorite so far, with the second book being pretty high up there.

I was thinking the same thing, it felt rushed =/ If she didn't want to write it, she should of just flipped them off :p
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

There is one other factor that might have occured.

EC indicated that WotC was looking to develpe new characters to the product. Clearly at some point in time WotC clearly decided they did not want new heros. Kemp claims he could kill off any character except one in the final book of the WotSQ. EC might have had simalar type of advice that the characters were subject to death at her hands or anybody. She clearly became fustrated over Moonblades as a changing policy. She might have just become uphappy with writing for a shared world,.
Last edited by Bhaern Quel on Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

When I've read the first two I was amazed. After a few pages I deicided to read it chapter by chapter. It was like when you have a favorite TV series. You wait the whole week for the next episode and there's nothing that can prevent you from watching. You think every day, when you wake up, when you go to bed, what will happen next? I wanted to delight in the book. And, finaly, having to read the last book, I was shocked. Why did she (EC) kill him? Why did it end in such a way. I was feeling so unsatisfied. I still do. I couldn't believe my eyes. Why? They deserved to be together, even though he would die a couple hundred years before her. Liriel is my favorite drow character, on the same spot as Jarlaxle. (No not Drizzt. I liked him only in the the trilogy.)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok. I'm better now... It's just sad that such a good piece of literature can be spoiled in such a stupid way. It's like the story goes and suddenly, without any warning, it ends as quickly as this and in way you would least expect it. In a way you didn't want it to end.

Should you come across the Witcher, by Sapkowski, read it obligatory. It's a really raelly really great piece of fantasy. It's a Polish author, but it's been translated into English recently.