NWN?

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Nedylene
Hero||Heroine

NWN?

Post by Nedylene »

Ok..so now that i am off the horrendous dial up I am itching to play NWN online sometime.Only a few problems...first of all all the games I see being hosted at the site look lame and i have no desire to play with a bunch of strangers who will try to kill my character. Also I have never done that before and I dont know where to begin. Soooo...if any of you guys were thinking about playing something sometime maybe someone could help me out. Please...down on bended knees attempting to look cute and defenseless.
Zakharra
Maid
Maid

Post by Zakharra »

Try ALFA. I play there and it's a great place for RP. The forums can be soimewhat dramatized, but if you stay out of the Off-Topic forums, you should be fine.

I play a now 8 level priestess of Lolth there. It's a ton of fun. I also used to DM in the Baldur's Gate server of ALFA, and ran a Eilistraeen group.

Here are the links;
[url:1yj9jgz6]http://alandfaraway.org/[/url:1yj9jgz6]
[url:1yj9jgz6]http://alandfaraway.org/phpBB2/index.php[/url:1yj9jgz6]
Nedylene
Hero||Heroine

Post by Nedylene »

i checked it out and its asking for my cd key..why do they need that? i am not comfortable putting that in...
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Nedylene":119o9jts]i checked it out and its asking for my cd key..why do they need that? i am not comfortable putting that in...[/quote:119o9jts]

The request is for making sure you have a legal copy instead of a clone or hacked copy.

If your copy is legal there should be nothing to worry about. The program itself will identify itself with a CD key. The key itself is not a security threat to you.
Nedylene
Hero||Heroine

Post by Nedylene »

oh..ok thanks bhaern quel
Zakharra
Maid
Maid

Post by Zakharra »

The CD key is also how they keep track of acounts. All of ALFA's players/DMs have to imput them.
Vendrin
Maid
Maid

Post by Vendrin »

ALFA has a load of BS and way to many rules at times, but once you get out of the forums and into the game, best rp community there is.
"What does God want? Does God want goodness or the choice of goodness? Is a man who chooses evil perhaps in some way better than a man who has good imposed upon him?"
Nedylene
Hero||Heroine

Post by Nedylene »

it mentions something at the bottom about having someone pledge for you or something...does anybody love me?
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=darkred:1gr9moda]The family computer (ie the one withthe modem) is way too slow to play NWN. :( [/color:1gr9moda]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Jubilee
Maid
Maid

Post by Jubilee »

I honestly think the SV's are a waste of time. Too much BS, and always full of hardcore rules that kill any attempt at fun, and the crowd, while good RPers at the core, tend towards elitism and cliques, and OOC sensibilities like a damn cream puff.

The last one I looked at wanted me to write a essay.

I'd get your feet wet in a more easygoing server and just have fun before you give your firstborn to a SV, because they suck up as much time as a MMOLRPG, with a 1/10th as much to show for it.

That said, I visit Mianyr time to time, and any other place I remember thats open on occasion. Just lemme know when your lookin for something on NwN via MSN or something. :)
It is difficult for others to truly speak their heart or listen to it. The words often prove difficult, or they do not come at all - Brianna
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Jubilee":120mudy8]I honestly think the SV's are a waste of time.[/quote:120mudy8]
Isn't that more a consequence of how the server is setup instead of it being a consequence of it being a server vault server though?

I mean, I get the impression that local vault servers tend to attract more 'powergamers' and cheats and people intent on ruining the fun of others (not that you don't have both in both). With server vault at least those who only come on to be disruptive will have little pull, since they're forced to start at the bottom of the scale.

What BS, hardcore rules and such in particular do you have a problem with? I'm interested in seeing if there isn't a way to run a server vault server in such a way that it doesn't have (as much) of those problems.

Though every server should require its players to write several essays on their characters first. (j/k) ;)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Nedylene
Hero||Heroine

Post by Nedylene »

whoa..the more I look around the more confused I get. lol.. I had no idea this would be so complicated..
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

[quote="Nedylene":3d2c7mj5]whoa..the more I look around the more confused I get. lol.. I had no idea this would be so complicated..[/quote:3d2c7mj5]

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here everyday. :p
The sections on Gamespy for NwN servers [i:3d2c7mj5]should[/i:3d2c7mj5] be self explanatory. Given that these servers are run by individuals, that's not always the case, though.

Be prepared to wade through a lot of crap to find a server you actually like. I have to agree with Jubilee. A lot of the "pure" RP servers require you to jump through hoops just to join, and likely require you to downlod a couple hundred MB of haks.

My advice is, find one you can where you jump in straight away, without having to fill out applications, or download a truckload of files. If you decide you want to go more 'hard core' with the RP, [i:3d2c7mj5]then[/i:3d2c7mj5] try one like ALFA.

Servers for neverwinter nights generally suffer two major problems. They're either elitist in nature, requiring you to write a mini essay on your character, then be subject to 'approval' from a current player or DM. Then have others telling you "You can't play like that here" when you DO get in, and expect you to follow 500 rules besides.
[i:3d2c7mj5]Or[/i:3d2c7mj5]
They go in completley the opposite direction, and suffer from utterly ridiculous power players who are playing half-demon-dragon-vampire-drow characters.

In the - approximatley - 2 and a half years I spent playing NwN, I found probably 3 servers I actually enjoyed playing one.
One (Talus) quickly went down the crapper when the owner appointed an elitist, hypocritical, megalomaniac prick as a DM/Builder/Admin.
The other (Dreu Noctem, first nwn server I ever played on) is still fun to play on, but lacks a good player base. It's essentially a server where friends hang out, kill stuff, craft, etc. It's very well balanced, with item-based immunities rare, and expensive. Spells actually have power, thanks to EMS (arQon's Enhanced Magic System). The people are actually friendly! If you're after good RP, though, don't go here, it's an action server, not a RP server. Still, I [i:3d2c7mj5]would[/i:3d2c7mj5] recommend it as a good place to get your feet wet with NwN online.
The third and final one (Erzlaw) was a *gasp!* Social server. Yeah, one of thos vile, foul, underside of the nwn scene type servers that only depraved, black-hearted people hang out on *malicious leer* Anyway, it was actually quite fun to play on. Well balanced, nice use of tilesets and haks (total of about 80MB download for the hack, uncompressed to400MB), and if you didn't wish to engage in the more adult asspects of Role playing, you didn't have to. But, it's gone now too.

A quick run down on the sections of nwn gamespy, in no particluar order.
[b:3d2c7mj5]Social:[/b:3d2c7mj5] This is the 'adult' section of the list. Many of these (99%) servers are geared towards roleplay of a sexual nature, featuring things like master/slave, bdsm, etc.
[b:3d2c7mj5]PW Action:[/b:3d2c7mj5] As the name suggests, these servers are more for those who want to 'just kill stuff'. The 'PW' means Persistant World. Players can have permanent storage, for example, where things are kept even over server resets.
[b:3d2c7mj5]PW Story:[/b:3d2c7mj5] This is probably the middle ground between the RP and Action sections. Never really played on any, so can't make any other comments. I think this section also is home to ongoing DM run campaigns, like those run by Neverwinter connections?
[b:3d2c7mj5]Role Play:[/b:3d2c7mj5] Well, what do you think it means? These servers focus more on the role playing aspects of nwn than the 'just kill things' aspects. Though, as to the amount of RP that actually does go on, that's really up to each individual server.

There are more, but I can't, for the life of me, remember what they are. I can't check, either, as I have uninstaled nwn. I'm sure someone will be along to fill out that list though :p
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/
Vendrin
Maid
Maid

Post by Vendrin »

I started the NWN rp scene on the social servers, Back then they weren't all concerned with sex, though there was certainly a major undertone. Was a DM for Palace of L&L/Arbington before tharcion beat it out, but then moved onto ALFA.

As I said above, yea, it's a pain to get in, and rules can be annoying, but it's best RP place out there.
"What does God want? Does God want goodness or the choice of goodness? Is a man who chooses evil perhaps in some way better than a man who has good imposed upon him?"
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="CrankyOzzie":22ogybbv]The third and final one (Erzlaw) was a *gasp!* Social server. Yeah, one of thos vile, foul, underside of the nwn scene type servers that only depraved, black-hearted people hang out on *malicious leer*[/quote:22ogybbv]
To say nothing of the twisted individuals that actually [i:22ogybbv]host[/i:22ogybbv] such illicitous servers. [i:22ogybbv]<shakes head in disgust>[/i:22ogybbv]

:p

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee