Jarlaxle

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Jarlaxle's Alignment

LG
No votes
NG
No votes
CG
8%
LN
No votes
(T)N
No votes
CN
67%
LE
4%
NE
17%
CE
4%

Total votes: 24

Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

We all agree (I think) that J. is chaotic. Then we have three ways: good neutral or evil. I seriously dought that he's evil. So I say CG or CN.
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[quote="Zakharra":iiml7ohe][quote="Unen_Stealthfoot":iiml7ohe][color=darkred:iiml7ohe]I think he's a favorite character among people who read him and like him because, as Zakharra says, he is very "quirky". I think he is CG because he only slays (on purpose) those who are of an evil alignment. Also, he gives his pal Artemis a magic flute which gives the player a concience and a caring heart. If he tries to make Artemis Entrerie a good person, it follows that (in my opinion) he must be a good person.[/color:iiml7ohe][/quote:iiml7ohe]

Have to disagree with you on this. He has killed ruthlessly before and will do so again when it suits him. Being a drow on the surface means he has to be more circumspect and careful about things. If he was CG, he would have killed and/or betrayed many of the Matron Mothers to their deaths and the destruction of their Houses. For they are totally evil. Being a CG in a CE society is for all intents and purposes, impossible without being discovered and killed.

If Artemis becomes good, it's easier to manipulate him.[/quote:iiml7ohe]

[color=darkred:iiml7ohe]Zakharra, I think that you're forgetting that he did kill (and betray) quite a lot of matron mothers in Menzoberanzan. Remember, he killed a noble drow of the 4th house for house Do'Urden, switched sides the same day, having his mercenaries fighting the Do'Urdens, then once again switching sides in the middle of the battle. Then, a few months later, he slew the matron of the said house, thus betraying them yet again. ([i:iiml7ohe][u:iiml7ohe]Exile[/u:iiml7ohe][/i:iiml7ohe], by RAS)[/color:iiml7ohe]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Alak Xiltyn
Regular

Post by Alak Xiltyn »

[quote="Unen_Stealthfoot":15706i9v]
[color=darkred:15706i9v]Zakharra, I think that you're forgetting that he did kill (and betray) quite a lot of matron mothers in Menzoberanzan. Remember, he killed a noble drow of the 4th house for house Do'Urden, switched sides the same day, having his mercenaries fighting the Do'Urdens, then once again switching sides in the middle of the battle. Then, a few months later, he slew the matron of the said house, thus betraying them yet again. ([i:15706i9v][u:15706i9v]Exile[/u:15706i9v][/i:15706i9v], by RAS)[/color:15706i9v][/quote:15706i9v]

Yes but his methods seem to indicate a neutral demeanor (if memory serves he killed one of Drizzt's older sisters simply because he didn't like her, even though he could have let the on rushing forces of House Baenre kill her. So at that time he could have been CN or CE, however his respect for Zaknafien would suggest CN.

However in recent books it would seem to me that he is begining to drift closer to good, for the most part though, he is in my mind CN
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Could it be that Jarlaxle is going towards good? I mean it's a long way from CE to CN... At least according to the book it is.
Vendrin
Maid
Maid

Post by Vendrin »

Frankly I think Jarlaxe is Chaotic Stupid.

Never liked the character never will. Drow aren't meant to wear wide brimmed red hats.
"What does God want? Does God want goodness or the choice of goodness? Is a man who chooses evil perhaps in some way better than a man who has good imposed upon him?"
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

That's for sure.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Vendrin":2434cs6h]Frankly I think Jarlaxe is Chaotic Stupid.

Never liked the character never will. Drow aren't meant to wear wide brimmed red hats.[/quote:2434cs6h]
Guess you won't like my character concept for my NWN2 OC character then... though I was thinking more blue than red. ;)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Red Hats, Blue hats?

Perhaps somebody could explain these terms as I do not recall hearing of them before.
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Well Jarlaxle always had a wide brimmed hat on his had with a feather. The feather changed to a bird os some kind, I think. Well the hat, as well as his boldness were always there. As I recall that's how RAS always saw him and how he was. Prove me wrong.
Jubilee
Maid
Maid

Post by Jubilee »

It changed into a Diatryma, if thats how you spell it, looks something like a mutated ostrich.

Besides, he's a swashbuckler, and essentially a pirate in demeanor, the look fits ! Not everyone can have the long flowing white locks and manly outfits of your beloved Drizzt, Vendrin. ;)
It is difficult for others to truly speak their heart or listen to it. The words often prove difficult, or they do not come at all - Brianna
Merinid Tlin'orzza
Regular

Post by Merinid Tlin'orzza »

[color=darkslateblue:36hma3xl]From what little I've read, Jaraxle seems to be quite a unique individual due to his pragmatic outlook on life.

Drizzt is a pansy IMO. :roll: If there's one hardcore ranger that I've read and watched in a good fantasy book & movie, it's Strider from LotR.[/color:36hma3xl] ;)
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

Lord of the Rings beats them all. But the elves-are-a-bit-gay cliche is soo visible in the prancing blond dolt with the arrows.

Gimli rules![/size:3uuyhvdm]
:3
Sabaal
Hero||Heroine

Post by Sabaal »

Well, actually I can't say I knoe Jarlaxle by first hand, but I've heard some friends talking about him, besides I've read some fanfics, and if he's really the way it's described there he just thinks about his survival, he follows noone's laws but his... I may be wrong, but my opinion is based in what I heard. Actually I haven't read any of R. A. Salvatore's books but the trilogy of the Icewind Dale. I'm sorry.

In my humble (very humble) opinion, Jarlaxle is pure CN
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Well I would say it also. He doesn't act like evil nor good. So, that leaves me with the choise of CN.
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[quote="Vendrin":3tr71won]Frankly I think Jarlaxe is Chaotic Stupid.

Never liked the character never will. Drow aren't meant to wear wide brimmed red hats.[/quote:3tr71won]

[color=darkred:3tr71won]*scowles in Vendrins general direction* He's my favorite RAS character! I forgot to add the candlekeep forum's other poll option of not caring what align he is and just stating that he's cool no matter what he is, but Vendrin's comment is making me glad I didn't.[/color:3tr71won]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination