Jarlaxle

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Jarlaxle's Alignment

LG
No votes
NG
No votes
CG
8%
LN
No votes
(T)N
No votes
CN
67%
LE
4%
NE
17%
CE
4%

Total votes: 24

Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Jarlaxle

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=darkred:1mkoav1s]There was a topic on this in the Candlekeep forums, but I wanted to know what our fellow drow thought of the rouge. I personally think from his actions in most of RAS's books that he's a CG. Any opinions welcome, please explain them though if you post.[/color:1mkoav1s]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Velve
Regular

Post by Velve »

Sorry, Can't say I've ever heard of him... but then it may help if I actualy bothered to read any of RAS's books.. ;)
Zakharra
Maid
Maid

Post by Zakharra »

Jaraxle CG? :uh-huh: He's pure CN. He survives and thrives in the drow Underdark cities. Especially noteworthy for a male. His actions benefit himself first and others second, if at all. It is noted that he does have a sense of honor that is quirky, to say the least, but it is there.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I haven't read any of RAS' stuff after Sea of Swords so no idea if anything changes in that... but so far I'd definately say he's CN as well. And, I must say, one of the more interesting drow characters RAS came up with.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Shayera
Maid
Maid

Post by Shayera »

I'd also say CN. By the way he's one of the figures of RAS i like the most.
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=darkred:1q4k3zei]I think he's a favorite character among people who read him and like him because, as Zakharra says, he is very "quirky". I think he is CG because he only slays (on purpose) those who are of an evil alignment. Also, he gives his pal Artemis a magic flute which gives the player a concience and a caring heart. If he tries to make Artemis Entrerie a good person, it follows that (in my opinion) he must be a good person.[/color:1q4k3zei]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Zakharra
Maid
Maid

Post by Zakharra »

[quote="Unen_Stealthfoot":1xnhf05e][color=darkred:1xnhf05e]I think he's a favorite character among people who read him and like him because, as Zakharra says, he is very "quirky". I think he is CG because he only slays (on purpose) those who are of an evil alignment. Also, he gives his pal Artemis a magic flute which gives the player a concience and a caring heart. If he tries to make Artemis Entrerie a good person, it follows that (in my opinion) he must be a good person.[/color:1xnhf05e][/quote:1xnhf05e]

Have to disagree with you on this. He has killed ruthlessly before and will do so again when it suits him. Being a drow on the surface means he has to be more circumspect and careful about things. If he was CG, he would have killed and/or betrayed many of the Matron Mothers to their deaths and the destruction of their Houses. For they are totally evil. Being a CG in a CE society is for all intents and purposes, impossible without being discovered and killed.

If Artemis becomes good, it's easier to manipulate him.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Zakharra":2g0bv8dq]

Have to disagree with you on this. He has killed ruthlessly before and will do so again when it suits him. Being a drow on the surface means he has to be more circumspect and careful about things. If he was CG, he would have killed and/or betrayed many of the Matron Mothers to their deaths and the destruction of their Houses. For they are totally evil. Being a CG in a CE society is for all intents and purposes, impossible without being discovered and killed.

[/quote:2g0bv8dq]

Err CG does not require killing CE or <foo>E.

CG can well interface in a CE society, the only difference in killing is when they find a reason not to kill a G target, most of the population tends to be evil as a matter of course so only a few need to be saved from death. CG does not fight evil, that is for the LG types (espcially Paladins) instead a CG job is just not to do evil.

"Let him travel free and watch him, we will learn more by doing this then using torture."

"This slave is too vaulable to be sacificed at this time, let him make us a few more swords."

Of course if given a chance to kill an Evil Matron to her demise, such chances might be worth it. Of course pay helps. Getting Evil to distroy each other clearly permissible as well.
CG are not defenders of Good or Law. If they can they will try to prevent evil and will not knowingly do an evil act.

A follower of Eilistraee is held to a higher standard, however there is no indication that Jaraxle even considered following the Dark Maiden (That I have seen) or any CG deity).
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Well out of what I've read "he was always a humble servant of chaos..." in RAS book... ok I don't remember that one but a servant of chaos?? That sounds familiar or typical for a diety that likes spiders and all...
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=darkred:3ra3rh1b]No way he's a Lolthian, after all, he's helped the Drizzit several times, including once when he helped him escape from clerics of Lolth. Admittedly, this does not make him good, but it certainly means that he is against Lolth.[/color:3ra3rh1b]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

But the chaos thing made me think about it... I mean it's said he's a servant of chaos. I don't suppose he's Lolthian, but should he be, he'd do it in a very twisted way.
Jubilee
Maid
Maid

Post by Jubilee »

The Cleric of the giant catherdral, Cadderly, did mention that after a quick spell to determine the weal of those two, Artemis and Jarlaxle, he didn't want them anywhere near his temple and was glad to see them go. This was after they finally destroyed Crenshinabon, I dont remember which book though.

While his actions seem CN, that does seem clearly point at one of the Evils.
It is difficult for others to truly speak their heart or listen to it. The words often prove difficult, or they do not come at all - Brianna
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[quote="Jubilee":1ta2a0xf]The Cleric of the giant catherdral, Cadderly, did mention that after a quick spell to determine the weal of those two, Artemis and Jarlaxle, he didn't want them anywhere near his temple and was glad to see them go. This was after they finally destroyed Crenshinabon, I dont remember which book though.

While his actions seem CN, that does seem clearly point at one of the Evils.[/quote:1ta2a0xf]

[color=darkred:1ta2a0xf][i:1ta2a0xf]Servant of the Shard[/i:1ta2a0xf]. But I never said he wasn't chaotic, I said he was chaotic good. As for Cadderly, I also remember that he had just finished fighting a force of chaos in his cathederal, and therefore, likely would not like anyone who was of any chaotic alignment. The drizzit is CG, but focuses more good, where J focuses more on the chaotic element of his alignment.[/color:1ta2a0xf]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Zakharra
Maid
Maid

Post by Zakharra »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":54dpzaqe][quote="Zakharra":54dpzaqe]

[/quote:54dpzaqe]

Err CG does not require killing CE or <foo>E.

CG can well interface in a CE society, the only difference in killing is when they find a reason not to kill a G target, most of the population tends to be evil as a matter of course so only a few need to be saved from death. CG does not fight evil, that is for the LG types (espcially Paladins) instead a CG job is just not to do evil.

"Let him travel free and watch him, we will learn more by doing this then using torture."

"This slave is too vaulable to be sacificed at this time, let him make us a few more swords."

Of course if given a chance to kill an Evil Matron to her demise, such chances might be worth it. Of course pay helps. Getting Evil to distroy each other clearly permissible as well.
CG are not defenders of Good or Law. If they can they will try to prevent evil and will not knowingly do an evil act.

A follower of Eilistraee is held to a higher standard, however there is no indication that Jaraxle even considered following the Dark Maiden (That I have seen) or any CG deity).[/quote:54dpzaqe]

I got to disagree with you there. CG certainly does fight evil. A true CG would have serious problems living in a CE society. Especially one as sadisticaly evil as drow society. Slavery is not a 'good' thing to have, and the Goddess of the Drow is CE and very present in their society.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I have to agree with Zakharra here… CG characters are ‘defenders’ of Good and Chaos (or “freedom”). Whether they do that by fighting evil directly or by example (doing good) is then just a matter of approach.

If you don’t champion Good in some way then you’re basically Neutral as you don’t care one way or the other. I think Jarlaxle is like that; he has no problem helping someone good, particularly if killing them doesn’t serve his purposes, and he has no compunction helping someone evil, particularly if he gets better for it.

I also have issues with this line of thought of “well, they’re evil so I can freely kill them and do good”. That is, at best, neutral reasoning and more likely evil, because it shows a complete disregard for the value of life. You don’t just kill someone because of their alignment and even if you do a good person would feel quite bad for the loss of life.

I know that most ‘roleplaying’ game quite cloud this issue in that you basically have to slaughter hordes of enemies to advance. But one of the basic tenets of Good is a respect for life. And you don’t have that when you dip your hands in blood as a first answer.

Anyway, nowhere do I see Jarlaxle showing any respect or remorse for the lives he takes (either directly or indirectly). In fact he seems quite happy to do it. I’m convinced he is CN with maybe leanings towards evil.

Of course, in the end it doesn’t quite matter what alignment a character in a novel is. ;)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee