Spam & Spammers

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Spam & Spammers

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

This is an FYI folks:

as you can see, a little spam roach has snuck in and left their trail of slime on our floor.

The thing to do is this: [b:wk82d3br]nothing[/size:wk82d3br][/b:wk82d3br]

Don't click on the links in their post, don't reply post in their threads and above all,
wait until Shir'le casts [b:wk82d3br] [color=red:wk82d3br]F*ck Off[/color:wk82d3br][/size:wk82d3br] [/b:wk82d3br]on their skanky asses.

She'll remove the spam posts and ban the user.

Hopefully I've covered all the relevent topics in dealing with this unwelcome intrusion.

Dearest High Priestess Shir'le, perhaps this should be made into a sticky?
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Stickied.

But next to Talwyn's suggestions there is one thing that you [i:29vnzjp5]can[/i:29vnzjp5] do.

In the bottom-right of every post (next to the 'quote' button) there's this little button called "report" (looks like a red exclamation mark). Clicking this gives you a form where you can give a short description of why you're reporting the post (such as "spammer"). This will send me an email (so that I might respond faster) and give me a way to easily track down the post (not that it's hard finding spammers in this forum).

Of course, doing nothing is fine too; I'll find them soon enough usually. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: Spam & Spammers

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Soon, I might be allowed to fix them soon as well, though that is up to the High Priestess.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Yes, I really need to look into that this weekend. I'm also looking at some additional anti-spam measures (such as new users being unable to post links, which would remove the point of posting spam entirely).

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

I know you are busy, but more then a week has gone by and there clearly are a few posts that need deletion.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

My apologies. I've been on vacation for the Holiday period (extending into January). I've tried to log in on occasion to deal with any reported posts, but haven't done that a lot.

I'm back now though and have dealt with all spam posts.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well the bots appear active again. Shir'le and I have been blocking and banning. There is a chance that some valid users posting questionable posts might have had a post disapproved, a lower chance might have been banned.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Hi all the High Priestess and I have been fighting this battle that the rest of you rarely see. Using the tools available to us I can report that blocking and bans of disruptive or advertising posts has dropped to less then 50 a month. Which is far better then in the past where there could be over 200 a month.
A few might still sneak though, however if they do we can deal with them also.

High Priestess this thread might not need to be sticky any more, however I bow to your commands.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Good point; unstickied.

Don't think we've had any spam get through since we started manually moderating posts from new accounts (even when it was 200 a month), so the message isn't really needed anymore.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee