children, What's your opinion of 'em

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

So provided that we keep Zek's idea, and NOT give them cookies, unless you really wanna see a monster come out, then younglings are fine, that explains a few things :bored:
In War, Justice; In Peace, Hope; In Death: Sacrifice
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Thalon Mercrow
Resident

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

there delicous! :evillol: thats my opioun
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

What, the kids or cookies?
Gareth Ravenmantle
Regular

Post by Gareth Ravenmantle »

Little Shits...
Last edited by Gareth Ravenmantle on Fri May 14, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zil
Maid
Maid

Re: children, What's your opinion of 'em

Post by Zil »

Childless wonder and I like it that way.
So far, I'm doing quite well ignoring my Darwinian purpose.
I wouldn't mind one, someday but I'm slightly concerned that my detachment would damage the fragile creature. Oh well. The other person, whoever it might be, would be saddled with that part of the upbringing. I'm sure they'd perform adequately.

It may be a little cold of me but my main interest in parenting wouldn't really kick in until the little bugger evolves past the sentience of a household pet. Teaching shim to speak, walk and all that. Imparting my insight, principles and values (which would most likely be rebelled against later) and other such pleasantries.

Okay, I like them. They're fun and I'm excessively patient and encourage the inquisitiveness a kid might have. At the same time I can be really, really tired and quite frankly, couldn't possibly survive more than nine hours in the presence of a bouncy, sugar addled four year-old. Something tells me that I'd wake up later with stuff drawn all over me as well...

I remember quite enjoying being told about the prospect of my every action influencing the behaviour of my younger cousin. Sure enough, monkey see, monkey do. Considering what became of him later in life I probably should've shown some moderation. :p

Okay. Enough random ranting. Sleep deprivation does this and now I have laundry. Garfield mode kicks in and I just want to lie in bed all day and grumble about how I despise this one weekday.
Thalon Mercrow
Resident

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

[quote="Argoth":2mglv5tg]What, the kids or cookies?[/quote:2mglv5tg]

the kids of course boil'em, mash'em, stick'em in a stew!
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

Post by Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar »

well, with all that suger in them...
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

Now I see part of the problem with how youngsters get hyper so easily.
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

Kids....

hmm

well I'm sans spawn [childless] right now but friends of mine have begun to procreate and it's getting to the point where I'm the only one now without kids.

I don't mind kids but like most people, I get irked considerably when I see kids misbehaving/causing a ruckus etc. Niow we were all kids and no doubt when we were that age, some of us were good and some of us were evil little shits. Some people put it down to parenting but I think its a two way street. Good parenting makes for a lot in a childs life but even the best parent can be saddled with a hellspawn brat that should have been drowned at birth >:(

I know this because a friend of mine, a single mom now with 2 kids has one good one and one evil little bastard [both boys] and it's the eldest one that is the shithead. He's always been trouble even when his father was around and now he's out of the picture the little bastard has become demonically insufferable. Its got to the point where its no longer fun to visit her and the nice kid any more because of satanspawn will find a way to shit eveyone off somehow. :uh-huh:

On another note though, I've been approached by an old girlfriend who is feeling her biological clock ticking and has asked my to become a sperm donor for her :eek:

It's a very interesting situation I find myself in because she's said she doesn't want me to be involved, aside from contributing my half of the package to make a baby. I'm in 2 minds about it at the moment and have yet to decide if I want to be involed in this as much as she says she is going to raise the spawn on her own, I'm thinking down the track she may come at me for child support etc. Now I honestly don't mind helping out finacially as if I do decide to have a hand shandy and give her the results so as in impregenat herself, then I'm part of the equation. what I'm thinking is that some sort of agreement or parental pact needs to be set up in where everything is spelled out and there can be no gray areas or refunds etc. The truth of the matter vis that I do care for this woman and want to heklp her out but I am not 100% comfortable in becoming a father, albeit a donor one. I suppose I'll have to wait and see what she says next and if I'm actually firing live ammunition as well ;)

Hmm...now you can see where my heads been for the last few weeks eh? ;)

Oh, I love freebies from stores. If they are good ones, I am often motivated to buy the product but not always. Back when I was a starving student many moons ago, there was an art to getting a full lunch from freebies at shopping malls. ;)
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Weird, I coulda swore I commented on this already. Maybe I did in my mind~~~...anyway.

I love kids, but I also happen to know I'm not parenting material. I'm hardly in the financial position to care for one, for starters. I also know that I'm waaaaay too self absorbed to take responsibility for another human life that requires way more attention than my parakeets or cat would. Will that change in the future? Maybe. But for now I stand by it.

Having kids, though? Honestly, if it were my choice I think I'd choose to adopt. More than enough kids in foster care who'd be happy to accept all the love you can give them. But I also know that...well, most women want that special feeling of giving birth to their own. So unless you plan on being a single parent it's really by no means a decision to make on your own.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

To Talwyn, though I have to agree with your that there are the rare cases, of an unfortunate parent getting set with a demon in a child's skin, almost all that can be erased with a proper amount of caring from a parent, however, sometimes that caring is in the form of an ultra-hard disciplinary action. though, now I'm curious as to your fiasco of a situation that your in, good luck ;)

Adoption: can't say I'm against it, the problem is that, like everything else on this blasted rock we call home, we have made a point of it to see that every oppurtunity to make profit is harvested. This includes adoption. That is what irks me the most; if a family wants to adopt a child or two, it shouldn't cost them an arm and a leg to do so.
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

I don't mean this the wrong way, but I always seem to find myself scratching my head whenever I hear someone say something like "Badness can be loved away". Really? If that's the case then can we all just say Hitler and Manson weren't to blame for what they did, but that we should just blame their parents?

I dunno. Maybe it's true in the short term, I just don't think potential parents should be encouraged to smother their children as a way to fix their behavioral problems, or resort to violence.

My father used to whip my ass whenever I did wrong, but he still loved me to death, and guess what? It didn't fix me. It just made me bitter and scared to death of my father's belt.

I really think it depends way more on the child than most people seem to realize. The parent can only do their best to teach them right and wrong. And by that I don't mean make them afraid to misstep, because fear of punishment will just make the child distant from its parents.

These are just my opinions, people. Take them as you will.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

To start off, I didn't imply that "Badness can be loved away", well it can to a degree, but the person must truly realize that what they're doing is wrong. I was simply implying that children as a whole, like almost all human beings, imprint on a person or a few people, and start to mold their personality off of them.

It's true that all children are unique in their own way, and that's one thing I love about them. I'm not gonna step up and argue this point, but I truly believe that now child is born truly and inherently evil; now being a little rascal and causing mayhem is one thing, but that's how we as humans learn, or at least, I hope we do, is by causing something to get fucked up and then we realize, 'ohh, that made a lot of people that I know and like very mad; better not do that again."

Almost every child that I see is still a rogue at heart and nothing is gonna change that, well until they grow up. So, from this stand point, I'm saying that a parent could, not physically, but more with reason, and a little cunning, ask their child of their actions and make them think about it. but, I also know that, most children, being kids, are more mule-headed than I am, and that's saying something.
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Re: children, What's your opinion of 'em

Post by Kiaransalyn »

[quote="veraka":262d3v7b]Ok, this question has been ebbing at the back of my mind since, well, God knows when.
Ok so here it; I've always been sort of a believer that children should always be protected, no matter what the cost?

I was curious, what are your views on kids; if ya have any, please feel free to let me know how much of a pain in the butt they are.[/quote:262d3v7b]

I am the father to a wonderful little three year old daughter. My opinion on children is that they are a wonderful blessing. My wife and I were very much in love before our little girl came along, so much so, we didn't really think our happiness could be increased, but with the birth of our daughter we found new happiness.

For most people, it depends on where you are in your life. If you're in your twenties and want to live a little then I'm sure children seem like a huge commitment, which they are. They change your life completely. If you've been in a long term relationship for a while then children may very well improve it.

But, I'm completely bias on the topic. I love being a father and my daughter is very wonderful. I hope all parents (old and new) feel that way.

As for other children, some aren't fortunate to have the parents all children deserve. Some parents are just too immature and selfish. Some parents are still children themselves. That said, the majority are doing their best.

My saying for parenting is as follows: First, you're a guardian then you're a guide, and finally, if you've done your job well, you gain a friend for the rest of your life.

Being a parent is a special experience, but the job requires time, patience and attention. If you have lots of discussions with your child, play games and read books together then you're doing a good job. If you dump them in front of the TV, leave them alone in their rooms then you'll lose them.
T'riss'ae_d'wylthen
Maid
Maid

Post by T'riss'ae_d'wylthen »

My kids are soo cute it's not even funny. For instance my three y/o went nuts when he saw "Papa's" tape measure open. He was like "Aww man!! Aww man!!" and goin all crazy. My husband and I couldn't contain our laughter nor stand up straight. I started crying because I was laughing so hard! Here's a pic of em....

The three y/o:

[img:1xpd1ts4]http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad20 ... 5-1146.jpg[/img:1xpd1ts4]

The two y/o:

[img:1xpd1ts4]http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad20 ... 9-1730.jpg[/img:1xpd1ts4]