A question for all those of you, who have some ideas about Eilistraee.

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Leema Har'gachi
Regular

A question for all those of you, who have some ideas about Eilistraee.

Post by Leema Har'gachi »

So as some of you may remember I've been working on a Table Top RPG in the same vain as D&D drawing inspiration from 1st, 2nd, 3rd edition, OD&D, Basic, Castle & Crusades, and the more recent but not really successful Myth & magic. Well, two portion of the game are very heavily Eilistraee based the Dark Elf subrace (which is separate from the drow) and the Sword Dancer (Which is a subclass of the bard that is well, the Sword Dancers with a bit of a bardic touch). One of the main thing however is because since this system is OGL (Open Game Licence) Compatible besides being its own thing rather than a selection of new thing for 5th edition, which I admit I am not crazy about for a variety of reason I will not get into as the last time I did I was ranting to my brother Joe for almost 3 hours, I can't legally use Eilistraee... or really any D&D specific god, as they fall under the Proper Name section of the OGL's what is copyright protected section,(provided they didn't already exists in real life before hands) in the book. So my question for you guys is if you could have a specific version of Eilistraee in all but name only, what kind of things do you think could be either added to, removed from, or just altered from what we have been given in all the editions of D&D to make a version of the Lady silver that would best suit her image in the most respectable way possible, while making her unique enough to avoid problems with OGL. I am open to any and all ideas and I await to hear your guy's and Ladies replies.

p.s. Sorry if this came off weird.. or rude... or of the like.
CODENAME:Leema
Class:Variant Illusionist Favored Soul {gestalt}
Race:Shadow Drow
Height:5'8"
Weight:158 Ib.
Hair:Yellowish
Eyes:Purple(pinwheel)
Skin:Pitch-black(surrounded by Shadowy Purple Aura)
Deity:Eilistraee
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: A question for all those of you, who have some ideas about Eilistraee.

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well you might look some to Greek mythology.

Artemis was the goddess of chastity, virginity, the hunt, the moon, and the natural environment.

Nike was the goddess of victory.

A little adjustment you might be able to blend the two together, maybe pick up even a little Hera. Certain aspects of Artemis chastity and virginity clearly would need to disappear add dance and music of maybe Pan.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Change her favored weapon. Eilistraee is both a terrific archer and sword-dancer, she chose to forgo the bow, but she still is a terrific archer. If you swapped her use of the sword for the bow, it would suffice IMO. Maybe make her a bit more about nature, give her power on animals and/or a few animal companions (like a silver or white wolf, because giant silver wolves are cool). You could also give her the ability to turn into a few selected animals (ravens, hawks, wolves, maybe panthers as well?) and have these abilites carry over her priest(esse)s. In Evermeet it is said that Eilistraee loves nature and could communicate with animals, but that this doesn't conflict with her being a huntress, so it would still be fitting (you could add a line about never taking more than it is needed from nature to her teachings about food--although this is already generally integral to wood elven-like cultures).

Make Eilistraee the dark elven goddess of beauty, moonlight, arts (especially music and dance), wilderness, and hope. Fertility is also an option, given that she is a mother-goddess for all the drow, and that she tends to them and helps them flourish against the odds that the world throws at them.

I wouldn't change anything about her personality and teachings, because those are all defining to her.
Maybe muddle things up a bit. Leaving her being a drow/dark elf and her love for her people aside for a moment, Eilistraee's about:

1)Embracing and enjoying life, and making sure that others can do that too. Her teachings about spreading joy wherever one goes, and helping all those in need are kept.

2)Finding hope and beauty even in the most difficult times, in the darkest souls, and in what was broken, and making it blossom once again. Bringing the light that she can find to all those who can't. Her being a deity of moonlight, arts and beauty is symbolic of this, as she brings light in the night and stands for all that is beautiful and wondrous in life. She makes people see the beauty hidden in the world, even in the small things (like a catchy song, or the smile of a stranger), and through that she helps those who are lost or surrounded by hatred to smile and love again, and to find hope and the joy of chasing their dreams (this covers her fondness of redemption). Nurturing arts and creating beauty in all things (and all her related teachings in the lore) is part of making the world a more hopeful place.

3)Acceptance of everyone simply for who they are (their dark side included) and freedom of expression. Eilistraee's a shelterer of the rejected, outcasts and of the lost, and she strives so that all people can live in harmony with each other, united in defeating suffering.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Leema Har'gachi
Regular

Post by Leema Har'gachi »

Ok, this is currently what I am working with, granted it is not complete nor a comprehensive look. I am linking it via scribe to keep my tables in tack. Thank you both for your input and I hope after you read this you'll both give me your honest opinion and any suggestion.

[url:pt3ci04r]https://www.scribd.com/document/3392641 ... Showcase-1[/url:pt3ci04r]
CODENAME:Leema
Class:Variant Illusionist Favored Soul {gestalt}
Race:Shadow Drow
Height:5'8"
Weight:158 Ib.
Hair:Yellowish
Eyes:Purple(pinwheel)
Skin:Pitch-black(surrounded by Shadowy Purple Aura)
Deity:Eilistraee