The Witcher 3

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Irennan
Champion

The Witcher 3

Post by Irennan »

Not related to Eilistraee, but I'm curious if anyone here is playing/has played the game.

I must say, I haven't found the will/interest to play and enjoy PC games in a few years (since ME 3), but this game really got me involved. The main characters are well defined, flashed out and compelling: they truly seem to be people, with actual pasts, interests, purposes and goals even outside of the storyline (it got me to care for a few characters in the game, Ciri has become my favourite VG character ever).

The world and the story is full of details and, for once, according to what I have found out up to now, the ''bad guys'' have a meaningful reason to do what they do, instead of just being ''lulz, lets be evil, cuz why not?'' or ''ancient, primordial, unstoppable evil of doom''. The tone of the story is pretty grim, which I don't always like, but sometimes you will see people selflessly act to help others, or fight for something they believe in, and that feels really good, when it happens.

The graphic is amazing and manages to evoke the feel of the world, and the facial expressions are really good at reflecting the characters' emotions (It's very heavy, though, I have to play on my brother's PC, as my laptop can't run it). The soundtracks perfectly fit and contribute to the creation of the atmosphere.

The gameplay doesn't matter a lot to me, but I would have liked more varied enemies and skills. Overall, The Witcher 3 manages to fully immerse the player in the world/story, and I couldn't ask for a better thing from a VG.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Re: The Witcher 3

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I keep hearing how great the Witcher games are, like they're some pinnacle of roleplaying games, and as such I really tried to like them. But I just really, really can't get into them. Primarily because I can't stand Geralt. I can't stand playing [i:2u1tb48k]as[/i:2u1tb48k] Geralt. I can't stand how the character is portrayed. In my mind any game where you play a pre-defined character like that isn't a roleplaying game, but an adventure game. An adventure game with a main character who's skin I just really, really can't get into.

And that makes me sad.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

I can see where you're coming from. When I started playing the series, I didn't really like Geralt either: he just wasn't my type of character, and the tone of the setting wasn't of my liking. I played TW1 and 2 anyway (probably because when I did so, I enjoyed PC gaming *much* more than I do now) and managed to have fun, but I didn't find them to be [i:20sib1s4]that[/i:20sib1s4] great (even though I really appreciated the originality of their stories, without the classical uber villain of doom). The Witcher 3, however, is different. It's the kind of story, the relationships between the characters, how human they are, that make you feel involved. The various interactions between Ciri and Geralt, how he would go through anything to find her and fight on her side, also added a lot of depth to the character, and really caught me. Geralt has also recovered his memory with the help of Triss, and that helps.

On a side note, I think that games where you play a pregen character can still be RPing games, as long as you get to choose and build the character's personality. In TW3 you have enough free room to do that, IMO.
Kaote Bruchedaine
Maid
Maid

Post by Kaote Bruchedaine »

I was getting into the series before my gaming laptop became a punching bag. The first game frustrated me to no end because they literally came up with the worst combat system I have ever seen. I know what they were trying to do, and a game did it better 10 years before they tried. It was terrible. TERRIBLE. Almost as painful as talking to 4th edition fanatics.
GeorgePepe
Maid
Maid

The Witcher 3

Post by GeorgePepe »

Theres another Witcher book out later this year Ive only read one of them so far but maybe Witcher3 will tie into the book being released somehow.
Kaote Bruchedaine
Maid
Maid

Post by Kaote Bruchedaine »

[quote="Irennan":ocvudaax]Not related to Eilistraee, but I'm curious if anyone here is playing/has played the game.

I must say, I haven't found the will/interest to play and enjoy PC games in a few years (since ME 3), but this game really got me involved. The main characters are well defined, flashed out and compelling: they truly seem to be people, with actual pasts, interests, purposes and goals even outside of the storyline (it got me to care for a few characters in the game, Ciri has become my favourite VG character ever).

The world and the story is full of details and, for once, according to what I have found out up to now, the ''bad guys'' have a meaningful reason to do what they do, instead of just being ''lulz, lets be evil, cuz why not?'' or ''ancient, primordial, unstoppable evil of doom''. The tone of the story is pretty grim, which I don't always like, but sometimes you will see people selflessly act to help others, or fight for something they believe in, and that feels really good, when it happens.

The graphic is amazing and manages to evoke the feel of the world, and the facial expressions are really good at reflecting the characters' emotions (It's very heavy, though, I have to play on my brother's PC, as my laptop can't run it). The soundtracks perfectly fit and contribute to the creation of the atmosphere.

The gameplay doesn't matter a lot to me, but I would have liked more varied enemies and skills. Overall, The Witcher 3 manages to fully immerse the player in the world/story, and I couldn't ask for a better thing from a VG.[/quote:ocvudaax]

So it's been a year. How did it turn out?
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

There are two expansions out. I've played one, and plan to play through the other soon. But the one that I played was IMO simply as awesome as the main game, and it touched some deep themes as well. It remebered me of dealing with D&D devils (you know, contracts with them and stuff), but the "devil" is done really well.

Plus, i'ts tons of new content (about 15 hrs, including secondary quests; 10hrs of main storyline, which is more than your generic shooter game, lol) for only about 10$, while other software houses make you play $5 for stuff like cometics. The other expansion provides about 30hrs of new storyline, and is priced at about $20.
BrianFak
Maid
Maid

Post by BrianFak »

Love this game and love books! You have to read the books.
Durfee
Maid
Maid

Post by Durfee »

I love Witcher 3!