Arelith Servers - Eilistrae Support

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Miklaysee
Traveler

Arelith Servers - Eilistrae Support

Postby Miklaysee » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:34 pm

Hi all!

Wow, it has been like 10 years since I have perused this site. I went by Ebonith and ran the Ched Nasad Server on NWN ALFA for a spell. I skulked this website during that time. I even had an RP thread with Shir'le here at some point. I can't believe I saved it!

Anyway, with the addition of NWN Enhanced Edition (found on Steam for $20), persistent worlds have sprung up better and sexier than ever! I discovered Arelith and man, they do it right! My buddies and I (three of them from ALFA days) have been playing on the "Arelith - Cities and Planes" server, which most of it takes place in the Underdark city of Andunor. Plenty of lore to read up on, but it takes place in 1372 in Forgotten Realms, which means Eilistraee is very much alive--and she can be picked as a deity!

There is also a "Arelith - Surface" server as well, but as a drow, you must start in the Underdark, which I get. You will not be able to start as a good-aligned drow without a special award. They are worried about 15,000 Drizzt clones, understandably. However, you can be Neutral. Most Surfacers may kill you after RPing with you a bit--there is some PVP, but RP must take place first. It really doesn't happen that often, even in the Underdark, but folks don't act stupid--because they know there are one step away from death.

Anyway, I encourage you to try it out. Look for me, I play Miklaysee--yes, the same character from ALFA if you go back that far. If you have questions, I am happy to answer them. Here are some links to help you. Cheers!

http://arelith.com/

http://arelith.com/index.php/player-handbook

http://forum.arelith.com/

Irennan
Resident

Re: Arelith Servers - Eilistrae Support

Postby Irennan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:21 pm

Miklaysee wrote:Hi all!

Wow, it has been like 10 years since I have perused this site. I went by Ebonith and ran the Ched Nasad Server on NWN ALFA for a spell. I skulked this website during that time. I even had an RP thread with Shir'le here at some point. I can't believe I saved it!

Anyway, with the addition of NWN Enhanced Edition (found on Steam for $20), persistent worlds have sprung up better and sexier than ever! I discovered Arelith and man, they do it right! My buddies and I (three of them from ALFA days) have been playing on the "Arelith - Cities and Planes" server, which most of it takes place in the Underdark city of Andunor. Plenty of lore to read up on, but it takes place in 1372 in Forgotten Realms, which means Eilistraee is very much alive--and she can be picked as a deity!

There is also a "Arelith - Surface" server as well, but as a drow, you must start in the Underdark, which I get. You will not be able to start as a good-aligned drow without a special award. They are worried about 15,000 Drizzt clones, understandably. However, you can be Neutral. Most Surfacers may kill you after RPing with you a bit--there is some PVP, but RP must take place first. It really doesn't happen that often, even in the Underdark, but folks don't act stupid--because they know there are one step away from death.

Anyway, I encourage you to try it out. Look for me, I play Miklaysee--yes, the same character from ALFA if you go back that far. If you have questions, I am happy to answer them. Here are some links to help you. Cheers!

http://arelith.com/

http://arelith.com/index.php/player-handbook

http://forum.arelith.com/

What's the difference between NWN EE and the normal version? I looked up various descriptions of the game, but the new edition is basically the same as before. They could have used the opportunity to at least remake the graphics of the game (isometric has its own charm, but the 3d graphic of NWN is not very exciting to watch).

About Eilistraee, recent developments have her alive continuously, at full-strength (and without Vhaeraun's portfolio, so simply Dark Maiden) in 1487+, and hidden and non-functional as a goddess--but still surviving and able to interact with mortals--between 1379 and 1487. However, not much of a point if you're not able to play one of her followers. Or are you allowed to pick her even as a neutral drow, or as a non-drow? If you do so, are there Eilistraeean communities on the surface like in canon (Misty Forest, Cormanthor, Raven's Bluff, High Forest all come to mind for 1372. In current era, we'd need to add Waterdeep--I mean in the city itself)?

Miklaysee
Traveler

Postby Miklaysee » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:06 pm

Hey Irennan!

NWN EE is a new and improved NWN. Graphics are indeed better (shading, shadows, resolution sizes, vsync, and the list goes on). They have fixed a lot of the troublesome bugs that were never fixed. More important than anything, it has truly revitalized the NWN community!

Arelith is awesome because of the number of intuitive and advanced scripts it contains! Best I have seen in a persistent world. The RP is the best I have seen on a Persistent World. Great community too.

As for Eilistrae, you are correct. Any neutral character can take Eilistrae as their chosen deity...including drow. You could even make a cleric of Eilitrae, but the alignment would have to be CN. Drow have to start in the Underdark, so if you made a follower of Eilistrae, you could never let another drow know or your character will find themselves on an altar to Lolth! Now, there are a lot of intricacies to Character Creation, so make sure you read all the information carefully.

Arelith is a non-canon island off the coast of Luskan, in the Trackless Sea. It might be fun to make a group of Eilistrae followers who have to survive in the Underdark and find their way to find their place on the surface. The game takes place in 1372, so Eilistrae is alive and well.

Irennan
Resident

Postby Irennan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:10 pm

Miklaysee wrote:Hey Irennan!

NWN EE is a new and improved NWN. Graphics are indeed better (shading, shadows, resolution sizes, vsync, and the list goes on). They have fixed a lot of the troublesome bugs that were never fixed. More important than anything, it has truly revitalized the NWN community!

Arelith is awesome because of the number of intuitive and advanced scripts it contains! Best I have seen in a persistent world. The RP is the best I have seen on a Persistent World. Great community too.

As for Eilistrae, you are correct. Any neutral character can take Eilistrae as their chosen deity...including drow. You could even make a cleric of Eilitrae, but the alignment would have to be CN. Drow have to start in the Underdark, so if you made a follower of Eilistrae, you could never let another drow know or your character will find themselves on an altar to Lolth! Now, there are a lot of intricacies to Character Creation, so make sure you read all the information carefully.

Arelith is a non-canon island off the coast of Luskan, in the Trackless Sea. It might be fun to make a group of Eilistrae followers who have to survive in the Underdark and find their way to find their place on the surface. The game takes place in 1372, so Eilistrae is alive and well.

As for NWN:EE, I would have liked to see a remake of the graphics, rather than a few polishing here and there.

Ah, so it's just this island, got it. I'm tempted to buy the game and make a character, but I still have a few doubts. Is the timeline going to advance? Because, if so, WotC's bullshit about the drow pantheon and 4e is going to hit very soon. If the admins of the server will follow canon (including the 5e reveals/development), in 1379 Eilistraee will not die, but she won't be able to function as a goddess (read: grant spells), needing to hide and only able to communicate with mortals. It would be interesting if we could help her recover earlier than she does in canon (she fully recovers in 1487, and she gives Vhaeraun's portfolio back to him--Ed Greenwood revealed that his sister actually spared him before taking his portfolio), but we'd need to be allowed to do that. Even then, clerics would pretty much be SoL, because no spells. Maybe clerics could be converted to a 5e Warlock celestial pact, but NWN is 3e, so that's not going to happen.

Another question: what's the general timezone of the players/DM?

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Postby Shir'le E. Illios » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:23 am

Irennan wrote:As for NWN:EE, I would have liked to see a remake of the graphics, rather than a few polishing here and there.

From what I understand the reason that they didn't is because that would be a lot of work which would cost them a lot in artist salaries, for which they simply did not have the budget. I also got the impression that they asked the NWN community who weren't too concerned with having the graphics improved. And there was the fear that remaking the graphics would break a lot of the existing modules. But I agree with you, it is a disappointment that they weren't able to find some way to make some improvements at least.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee

Miklaysee
Traveler

Postby Miklaysee » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:23 pm

Irennan
It can be done. The admins love 1372. That date hasn't changed in over 5 years, so Eilistrae is alive and well.

Folks are on at all hours. The DMs are from across the world, so the span is pretty good. I have never seen the Cities and Planes Server (Underdark) fall below 25 people. At its peak, there are usually 80 people on. It is cool to see such an active server.

Let me know if you end up trying it out--I will make an Eilistrae character with you and hope we don't die! ;)

Shir'le
Heya Shir'le! Long time, no speak! I still have our brief RP - it is part of my drow's background (Miklaysee)! Anyway, I think the graphics are much better. I do indeed notice a big difference. Don't get me wrong, the game is still NWN, but the details in the game are no longer lost to us. :)

Return to “General Discussion”