Drow Accent

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Orin
Traveler

Drow Accent

Postby Orin » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:04 pm

This is something that I've devoted a considerable amount of thought to, if I am honest. There are a lot of different instances of audible speaking drow in Forgotten Realms, as well as other worlds and even within the realms there's a bit of a disconnect. They even sound different from Icewind Dale 2 to Baldur's Gate 2. Sometimes they sound almost British, or north eastern American, while at other times their voices are almost Russian, or Slavic.

I think my personal favorite is from Icewind Dale 2, which - at least to my own ears - sounds very much like a Romany accent: Somewhere between Spanish, Italian, and Greek. I've also at times heard it as almost Arabic.

That being said, I've always thought it would be interesting to give them an accent in a game I run that was completely unexpected. Like Hindi, or Australian. "G'day, n' praise the Dark Lady." Hehehe, I just made myself giggle.

What do y'all think?

See...see what I did there? It's another accent....it's southern American. It's...a ridiculous accent for a drow. It's - I just thought it was funny. I...no? O - ok.

:D
Let not the biting, callous and sometimes cruel words of unenlightened and uncaring minds sway your heart from your passions. For it is your passions that are the language with which your soul speaks to the world.

Irennan
Resident

Re: Drow Accent

Postby Irennan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:13 pm

No canon about it, but the general consensus seems that their language sounds like French or Italian (not in small part due to Perkins).

I hope that they do indeed sound Italian, for obvious reasons :P

Shae
Traveler

Postby Shae » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:23 am

A lot of drow words seem to have a lot of "s" eg "Sinafey," or "ssinssrigg" or "dosstan." Maybe that might make their language sound a bit sibilant, who knows.

Speaking of northeastern American/southern American, given the isolation of some drow city states from each other, I remember thinking once it wouldn't be entirely surprising to me if they all ended up with their own different dialects or accents/regional vocabulary over time, but this doesn't actually seem to be the case in canon. However, the commoners and nobility might have different accents/speak differently given the importance of status to the drow, and I think I remember reading Greenwood writing something or other about High Drow/Low Drow. It's definitely been too long ago for me to remember what exactly that was about though.
Well known path to Chang'an resembles yiqi.
Hundred years of life cannot bear the grief.

--Du Fu

Irennan
Resident

Postby Irennan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:52 pm

High Drow is basically a spinoff of Elvish, IIRC (mostly used in for important matters, discussions, and in prayers, much like Latin used to be for the Catholic religion), and Low Drow, the language spoken by commoners or low ranked drow, is the same as Undercommon.

In any case, given how far away different drow communities are spread out, given the isolationism of the Lolthites, given the difference in culture between Eilistraeeans, Lolthites, and Vhaeraunites, it makes perfect sense for them to have significant variation in accent, and even language. However, as you said, it doesn't seem to be the case in canon.

Orin
Traveler

Postby Orin » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:23 am

I agree about regional accents, especially with respect to high born drow who would have less interaction with outsiders. I would bet that the merchants guilds would be the only group to have a cohesive common dialect, as they'd have to. Then again, they'd likely just speak undercommon to keep it simple. You know, we don't hear much about the merchants guilds, or their interactions with surfacers. That's an entirely untapped vein of lore, methinks. Then again, I'm not super up on all the books or whatever.

Also, Irennen, I wholeheartedly agree. When I hear drow speak in my head, especially the ladies they sound like they're from at least that part of the world. Also, who's Perkins?
Let not the biting, callous and sometimes cruel words of unenlightened and uncaring minds sway your heart from your passions. For it is your passions that are the language with which your soul speaks to the world.

Irennan
Resident

Postby Irennan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:49 pm

One of the lead designers at WotC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Per ... e_designer)

Under the pen name "Christopher Zarathustra", Christopher Perkins got his start in 1988 as a teenager, writing the adventure "Wards of Witching Ways" for Dungeon magazine #11.[3] Perkins joined Wizards of the Coast in 1997 as the editor of Dungeon magazine.[4] He became the editor in chief of Wizards periodicals.[5] He later became the senior producer for the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game, leading the team of designers, developers, and editors who produce D&D RPG products.[4] Perkins was the story manager for D&D in 2007 before the release of the game's 4th edition.[6] Perkins was working on the Star Wars Saga Edition while D&D fourth edition was being developed, and ideas flowed freely back and forth between Perkins and the 4e team.[7] Perkins was on the SCRAMJET team, led by Richard Baker, and including James Wyatt, Matthew Sernett, Ed Stark, Michele Carter, and Stacy Longstreet; this team updated the setting and cosmology of D&D as the fourth edition was being developed.[7] He runs a D&D campaign set in his homegrown world of Iomandra.[4]

He is also a Dungeon Master for the Acquisitions Incorporated Dungeons & Dragons games at the Penny Arcade Expo (PAX).[8]

He wrote a blog, "The Dungeon Master Experience" on the Wizards of the Coast website, for over two years, where he shared tricks and advice about the challenge of 'Dungeon Mastering' a campaign; specifically through the lens of his homebrew world, 'Iomandra'.[9] However, in the penultimate posting of March 2013 Chris announced the following posting would be the last "at least for a while",[10] whereupon the blog became inert.

Perkins guest starred on Geek and Sundry's Dungeons & Dragons-based show, Critical Role.[11] Perkins was the Lead Designer of the Ravenloft 5E reboot Curse of Strahd, released in 2016.[12] Since 2016, he has been the Dungeon Master in the Twitch livestream Dice, Camera, Action which is a live play-through of D&D's latest storylines.[13]

Return to “General Discussion”