Out of memory

If you have problems or questions regarding the forums, the wiki, or any other part of the Eilistraee.com site then this is the place to ask. This includes bugs you run into, things that seem wrong, spelling errors, questions about ranks and experience points and such, etc. Please first make certain that your question hasn’t already been answered.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Irennan
Champion

Out of memory

Post by Irennan »

What is this ''Out of memory'' error that has often been popping up as of recent?
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: Out of memory

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Irennan":14okmwye]What is this ''Out of memory'' error that has often been popping up as of recent?[/quote:14okmwye]

The host server was having problems. We are not sure however suspect another site that is hosted has been having extreme activity. A tech team was assigned to the problem. With luck we will not be seeing that error so often.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Oh, I see. Thank you for the answer.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

We've had this problem before and each time I contacted my host and each time it seemed to go away. Maybe my host did something, but I suspect that it just went away on its own and they looked at it, saw "hey, it's not happening anymore, our job is done" and moved on without doing anything.

This time it seems to happen quite frequently (more often than not it seems). I've contacted my host again and asked them to look into it until it's actually fixed this time.

But I hear very little from them. Even when I directly ask then it's "our tech team is still looking into it". They've told me it's a priority for them now (based on how long this has been a recurring problem), but it doesn't really feel like that makes a difference. And occasionally things are back up again, but since I don't hear much of anything from them it's hard to say if that's because they did something or whether whatever is causing it is backing down.

As to what's causing it, my personal suspicion is that one of the other sites on the server is doing things to overload sql. At least that's the only thing I can think of since I can't see any way in which our site could do anything to cause that. But I've no idea; that's something that my host needs to figure out.

So long story short; no idea exactly why it's happening, my host is supposedly trying to fix it, for the rest can't do anything but wait.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Thanks for the explanation, Shir'le.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Alright, figured a few things out.

As I mentioned in another thread I've been having login issues and we've been getting error messages at the top a lot of forum pages.

First the login issue. When I logged in I got a page saying I logged in successfully, and then it would load the index again with me not logged in. I managed to fix that by, after I logged in (and got that index age), delete the cookies for this site and then refresh. That seems to have done the trick.

For the warnings we get at the top of the page in a lot of cases it seems that this might be because my host might have upgraded the PHP version of the server without telling me. I need to update the forum software to the latest version to fix it as the current version is apparently out of date (I've been holding off on upgrading the forum because it's a royal pain with some of the mods I've installed and risks breaking things).

Maybe the login issue comes down to the same thing in the end, but I'm not certain.

And not sure when I can get around to fixing it.

At least my host finally emailed me to tell me that they fixed the SQL issue. Just a pity that they seem to have broken everything else in the process.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Thanks for the info. Of course, take your time for the update. Sadly, this site doesn't currently see much traffic anyway, and it will take months (maybe even 1-2 years) till WotC gets FR rolling and we get to see something about Eilistraee (which should probably lead more people here).