[WIKI] How to organize the Wiki?

If you have problems or questions regarding the forums, the wiki, or any other part of the Eilistraee.com site then this is the place to ask. This includes bugs you run into, things that seem wrong, spelling errors, questions about ranks and experience points and such, etc. Please first make certain that your question hasn’t already been answered.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[WIKI] How to organize the Wiki?

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I thought I’d get things started with this important topic to be decided upon.

But first we need to look at what kind of information would be on the wiki; what information would there be to organize? Well, short answer to that is: everything related to Eilistraee.

I think on the [url=http://www.eilistraee.com/temple/main.php:zk407x99]old Temple page[/url:zk407x99] (which’ll likely become defunct after we start to seriously use the wiki) you can get a good impression of what things I wanted there, and thus what I’d like on the wiki.

But I want there to be a clear separation between background and rules. And I want the background to be general enough that it can be used in various settings (with articles detailing how things could be in specific settings). I’d also like to clearly separate the rules for various rule systems so that we could support various systems without them getting in the way of each other. And at the same time I’d like people to have some ready-made collection of all the information useful to them (so if you’re playing 3E Forgotten Realms there’s a single place with information and if you’re playing Pathfinder and use their setting then there’s a single place for you too).

Then there’s official books, there’s stories, there’s Eilistraee-images, there’s links to external/fan-pages, there’s the “goddess of” pages, there’s the translator, etc. All those need sections as well.

So what I’m thinking at the moment is this.

On the main page you’d have a clear overview of the various sections with perhaps some specific links to the most useful pages (that aren’t listed already). Below that you’d have the following sections:
[list:zk407x99][*:zk407x99][b:zk407x99]Background[/b:zk407x99]

This section would have generic background information (I can imagine, for example, the ‘history’ background article listing various different approaches and possibilities, one of them very similar to the Forgotten Realms history without specifically naming Corellon, Lolth, Vhaeraun, etc).

Within the background section there would be various sub-sections:

[list:zk407x99][*:zk407x99]Forgotten Realms[/*:m:zk407x99]
[*:zk407x99]Pathfinder Chronicles (Golarion)[/*:m:zk407x99]
[*:zk407x99]Greyhawk[/*:m:zk407x99]
[*:zk407x99]Planescape[/*:m:zk407x99]
[*:zk407x99]Everquest Setting[/*:m:zk407x99]
[*:zk407x99]Star Wars[/*:m:zk407x99]
[*:zk407x99]etc[/*:m:zk407x99][/list:u:zk407x99]
In short, one sub-section for each setting that we have specific background for Eilistraee for (and no, I’m not saying that we would for all of those).

As such the Forgotten Realms section might have a History article as well, which would be linked to from the general History article if there is one (as well as the History articles for all settings). Might be worth investigating (for me) how easy it is to make a temple for this so that this is done automatically.

Pages would possibly also link to the related rules pages (like a background page about various sects within the religion might link to a rules page with prestige classes).
[/*:m:zk407x99]
[*:zk407x99][b:zk407x99]Rules[/b:zk407x99]

The rules section itself wouldn’t have anything, but if would have various sub-section with the various systems:

[list:zk407x99][*:zk407x99]D&D 3.5E[/*:m:zk407x99]
[*:zk407x99]AD&D 2[sup:zk407x99]nd[/sup:zk407x99] ed.[/*:m:zk407x99]
[*:zk407x99]Pathfinder[/*:m:zk407x99]
[*:zk407x99]GURPS[/*:m:zk407x99]
[*:zk407x99]etc[/*:m:zk407x99][/list:u:zk407x99]
These pages would have stats and skills and feats and all that. The pages would also link back to the relevant background pages.
[*:zk407x99][b:zk407x99]Settings[/b:zk407x99]

This section would probably have one article (page) per setting just linking to all the background and rules information relevant for this setting. So there would be a Forgotten Realms page (possible a 3.5E and a 2[sup:zk407x99]nd[/sup:zk407x99] ed version, or that could be put into one page too) linking to the Forgotten Realms background articles as well as the various rules pages (and any other pages, such as the book pages, that are relevant to it).
[*:zk407x99][b:zk407x99]Library[/b:zk407x99]

This section would list all the officially published books similar to how I’m doing them in the Temple right now, subdivided by type of book and author and such.
[*:zk407x99][b:zk407x99]Moonlight Tome[/b:zk407x99]

This section would be for the Moonlight Tome, listing stories and songs and poems and whatnot that we’d expect to see in an Eilistraeen bible. Though unlike on the Temple it wouldn’t be divided into chapters as such but more into who discovered what, with each story/song/etc a separate article.
[*:zk407x99][b:zk407x99]Gallery[/b:zk407x99]

This would be a place to collect and show all Eilistraee-oriented images around the web. Here artists could have dedicated pages and such. Though we might host the images ourselves, it’s very important that any artists are properly credited for their work and as such it needs to be clearly listed both who drew the art and, if available, link back to the original source (could even be, if the artist wants it that way, that we wouldn’t host the full image ourselves and just link to their pages).
[*:zk407x99][b:zk407x99]Goddess of…[/b:zk407x99]

These are the pages dedicated to the various aspects of our goddess, likely one page per aspect. A “Goddess of Dance” page for example could list various dances and link to various dance-oriented sites.
[*:zk407x99][b:zk407x99]Links[/b:zk407x99]

This would be a place where various external sites can be listed as well as various other external things (like possibly the translator, though might link that separately on the main page anyway).[/*:m:zk407x99][/list:u:zk407x99]
Alright, I think that’s it for now. Did I miss anything? And what are your thoughts of this general structure?

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
Last edited by Shir'le E. Illios on Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

So we're finally getting to it? Cool.

On the backgrounds, I don't know much about the other settings, but I do know that for Planescape, Eilistraee is a must. In 2ed, Eilistraee is the long awaited sigh of relief. There's a little hole called Svartfalheim (or something) that's a brimming with Good and Neutral drow, all pointing the "I worship..." at the Dancing Goddess.

Star Wars? No way. I ain't pairin' up my sexy elf with Luke Skywalker! We could try d20 Modern. She'd have a nice place to fit in, although, there wasn't much talk about religion the last time I checked the hanbooks.

"The Goddess of..." thing? I'd rather leave it out. It's...nah I don't know, it just seems like a waste of energy at the moment. We can always add it later on, with more info.

That's all from me.
:3
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[quote="Rooky":24yvluc8]Star Wars? No way. I ain't pairin' up my sexy elf with Luke Skywalker! We could try d20 Modern. She'd have a nice place to fit in, although, there wasn't much talk about religion the last time I checked the hanbooks.[/quote:24yvluc8]
The list of settings is really just an example (with the Star Wars put in to show that we could take it in any direction we want). d20 Modern would also be good, but I don't know anything about that setting (and isn't it partly a ruleset).

[quote="Rooky":24yvluc8]"The Goddess of..." thing? I'd rather leave it out. It's...nah I don't know, it just seems like a waste of energy at the moment. We can always add it later on, with more info.[/quote:24yvluc8]
The beauty of Wiki is that people can work on what they want and add things where they see a need for them.

I agree that that section is of a lower priority, but I think it doesn't hurt to at least think about where it would go and keep it in mind.

As it is though writing the articles themselves is definitely top-priority.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Personally I think we have enough active members here to have at least some content on all the different parts you'd like to see in the wiki and a few others we haven't thought of yet. It's just a matter of time.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

I hope so, yes. The nice thing about a wiki is that you can write just a little and still contribute. If lots of people write a little bit then before you know it you'll have a full-blown wiki rich in information. :)

Now if only my site host would get its ass in gear and upgrade the site. >:(

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Dostrealt
Maid
Maid

Post by Dostrealt »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":uo5rf0nm][quote="Rooky":uo5rf0nm]Star Wars? No way. I ain't pairin' up my sexy elf with Luke Skywalker! We could try d20 Modern. She'd have a nice place to fit in, although, there wasn't much talk about religion the last time I checked the hanbooks.[/quote:uo5rf0nm]
The list of settings is really just an example (with the Star Wars put in to show that we could take it in any direction we want). d20 Modern would also be good, but I don't know anything about that setting (and isn't it partly a ruleset).[/quote:uo5rf0nm]

I think Star Wars is a bad example as it is science fiction and Eilistraee and other drow deities do not exist according to the Star Wars canon.

If you want space drow then Spelljammer is the way to go. Toril orbits within the crystal sphere known as Realmspace and I find it hard to believe that drow on other planets within Realmspace are all evil. There must be other Eilistraee worshipers out there.

IIRC I saw something about spelljamming drow coming from Toril (I'm not sure why in the entire universe they would just come from there), but if they do then divine servants of Eilistraee (along with drow wizards) may be powering the spelljamming helms of Gypsy Moth ships that are the dark counterparts of the same ships used by the elven navy.

Anyhoo, I think that if you want to expand beyond Forgotten Realms, you should start with D&D (and create crossover possibilities for using Eilistraee in any D&D world that has drow) then move onto d20 System fantasy worlds that include drow.

You were speaking of namespaces, and I'm not sure this deserves its own namespace, but I think that it might be useful to have a complete list of all RPG products, novels and computer games that include drow. You could start of with the Forgotten Realms stuff, but people that like drow might want to pick up some of the d20 System stuff put out by third party publishers. I'm not sure if you would want a single list of products, or individual pages (where someone could explain the full content and where drow come in). But if you provided things like ISBN numbers and direct links to download PDFs from the WotC website, Paizo, RPG Now and DriveThru people would be able to use the information to build up a collection of commercial drow related stuff.

I think that somewhere else you are going to want to have pages of all known drow characters/NPCs so being able to link those pages to the products would allow anyone interested in those drow to work out how to buy every product that includes that character.
Gardas
Maid
Maid

Post by Gardas »

[quote="Dostrealt":h3ridtho]
I think Star Wars is a bad example as it is science fiction and Eilistraee and other drow deities do not exist according to the Star Wars canon.
[/quote:h3ridtho]
I think drow and their deities aren't known, but may exist in star wars universe. All universes can be combined in big multiverse. I use the Planescape setting, and it say, that Material Plane can include nearly infinte number of crystal spheres/planets/worlds. Including all fantasy and sci-fi worlds.
Lloth and Shadow Lord must be destroyed!