Year of the Ageless One

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Year of the Ageless One

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

As you might be aware this year they're releasing a new version, the 4[sup:ol113p7q]th[/sup:ol113p7q] edition, of Dungeons & Dragons. And with it the Forgotten Realms are going to be much changed to accommodate the new rules.

And when I say "much changed" I mean it.

For months we've had tiny hints and rumors of a "Spellplague" raging over the Realms. But we never really knew what it did to the Realms until now. As Wizards has published an article entitles "[url=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dn ... e:ol113p7q]Year of the Ageless One[/url:ol113p7q]" which gives a first glimpse at this catastrophe and the near hundred years of change it wrought. (You need to be logged into D&D Insider to be able to read it.)

To show the magnitude of the changes one only needs to read the very first sentence:

[quote:ol113p7q]Ninety-four years ago, Mystra perished and the world went mad.[/quote:ol113p7q]
Yes, that's right. Mystra is [i:ol113p7q]gone[/i:ol113p7q]. The deity which probably most epitomized the Realms is no more.

It goes on from there:

[quote:ol113p7q]Unchecked, ungoverned, the raw stuff of wild magic danced across the world, wreaking terrible destruction. Cities burned, kingdoms fell, luckless people were changed into monsters, and mages went berserk. This was the Spellplague, a rippling outbreak of hundreds, perhaps thousands, of magical catastrophes that left no corner of Faerûn untouched. For almost ten years new outbreaks appeared here and there, striking randomly and without warning. Wherever they struck, chaos reigned.[/quote:ol113p7q]
Still, despite these large changes certain places also remain largely the same. Pretty much the entire Sword Coast remains as it is (no real surprise considering how familiar people are with it). And except for a few mentions of the Underdark collapsing here and there (such as "The vast Underdark system beneath the western Shaar suffered a calamitous collapse, leaving a miles-deep pit the size of a country where the Landrise once ran.") there's no real mention of drow or what happened to the deities other than Mystra.

But the final paragraph promises that future articles will change this:

[quote:ol113p7q]In upcoming previews, we’ll take a more thorough look at other aspects of the new Faerûn—the fate of the Chosen, the nature of the pantheon, how magic has changed in the world, and an introduction to some of the new threats that now menace Faerûn. Good fortune and good adventuring until next time![/quote:ol113p7q]
Of course we'll keep you updated of anything that might be of interest to us (and considering the magnitude of the changes many of them probably are). Whether we'll actually adopt the changes remains to be seen.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Arathen
Maid
Maid

Post by Arathen »

hmm...so they did advance things an entire century *shrugs* well, heh, should make things a little more interesting at least. So far, things seem alright, though I am still a little worried about the fate of our favorite Goddess. But...we shall see, heh...
"Courage lies not in the lack of fear...but in doing something you are afraid to."

Check out the progress on my book at http://kaavelbaelithar.deviantart.com/
Ssin'urn Streea
Regular

Post by Ssin'urn Streea »

[font=garamond:1re5dadk][color=indigo:1re5dadk][i:1re5dadk](Applaudes, slowly)

[b:1re5dadk]I like it. :devil:[/b:1re5dadk] [/i:1re5dadk] [/color:1re5dadk][/size:1re5dadk][/font:1re5dadk]
~Don't close your Eyes~

Dos zhahen rosin bri wun vlos lu sca varn, orior ulu el nindel i dol!
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

Finally, we get to do something in Fearun...Hopefully the Goddess will still be here.
Mystra's dead? bu-hu...
:3
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

"The vast Underdark system beneath the western Shaar suffered a calamitous collapse, leaving a miles-deep pit the size of a country where the Landrise once ran."

Shit.
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=darkred:9fcel7lw]Have to disagree with you on that one, Argoth. Not Sh*t, it's [i:9fcel7lw]the pits[/i:9fcel7lw]. ;) [/color:9fcel7lw]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

I stand corrected.
Tyrmer
Hero||Heroine

Post by Tyrmer »

Yeah I read a little about it in the History of Faerun book I got for xmas. Apparently Cyric and Shar ganged up on her and managed to blow half the cosmology fo the planes apart. Oh and Helm's dead too I believe (Cyric again).
Titles:

Master of the Lady's Dances
Recoverer of the Tome of Moonlight
Scribe of the Dark Maiden's Temple

High Priest of the Church of Rooky :D
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=darkred:3m2pihxl]Helm is dead, but he was killed by Tyr (or was it Torm?) when he (Helm) tried to set up the aforementioned diety on a date with some other goddess (Sune? Selune? maybe someone else). There was some kind of misunderstanding.[/color:3m2pihxl]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

As I understand it it was Tyr, had something to do with Tymora or whatever. But I think they're getting rid of Tyr as well (and keeping Torm).

Yeah, I'm losing complete track of the mess they seem to be making too.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Who wouldn't?
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=darkred:36yaebgo]Of course. It's a Government-WOTC plot to get rid of all of us nerds and DnDers. (Sanctioned by Lolth, Lady of Chaos, because she knows she's losing to Eilistraee. Call it a last ditch attempt if you will, if you can't win, blow up everything around you.) *looks paranoid*[/color:36yaebgo]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Arathen
Maid
Maid

Magic in the Realms

Post by Arathen »

Though I'd put up the link to the newest Countdown to the Realms article, dealing with the changes to the magic of Toril and the effects of the Spellplague, among other things.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080130a

which gives ample reason to start my character at a lower level, especially if he decided to only relearn is basic magical abilites and focus on his family for the last century, as I plan on him having a wife and daughter by then, storyline-wise.
"Courage lies not in the lack of fear...but in doing something you are afraid to."

Check out the progress on my book at http://kaavelbaelithar.deviantart.com/
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Thanks, Kaelen. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Argoth