Robert Jordan Passed Away

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Robert Jordan Passed Away

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

It has come to my attention that, at 2:45pm on the 16[sup:1o3k65w9]th[/sup:1o3k65w9] of September, Robert Jordan, writer of the famed Wheel of Time series, passed away.

The following message can be read at [url=http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/?p=90:1o3k65w9]Robert Jordan’s blog (at Dragonmount)[/url:1o3k65w9]:

[quote="Wilson":1o3k65w9]It is with great sadness that I tell you that the Dragon is gone. RJ left us today at 2:45 PM. He fought a valiant fight against this most horrid disease. In the end, he left peacefully and in no pain. In the years he had fought this, he taught me much about living and about facing death. He never waivered in his faith, nor questioned our God’s timing. I could not possibly be more proud of anyone. I am eternally grateful for the time that I had with him on this earth and look forward to our reunion, though as I told him this afternoon, not yet. I love you bubba.

Our beloved Harriet was at his side through the entire fight and to the end. The last words from his mouth were to tell her that he loved her.

Thank each and everyone of you for your prayers and support through this ordeal. He knew you were there. Harriet reminded him today that she was very proud of the many lives he had touched through his work. We’ve all felt the love that you’ve been sending my brother/cousin. Please keep it coming as our Harriet could use the support.

Jason will be posting funeral arrangements.

My sincerest thanks.

Peace and Light be with each of you,

Wilson
Brother/Cousin
4th of 3[/quote:1o3k65w9]
I know this has nothing directly to do with Neverwinter Nights, Eilistraee, the Forgotten Realms or Dungeons & Dragons, but I thought I’d pass this sad news along regardless.

As for the series he wrote, and never finished with only one book to go, it’s come to my understanding that he passed everything regarding the last book on to his wife and several people close to him. So it is possible that at some point a finale will be published as finished by those close to him… after his family had time to grief of course.

What gets me most though, oddly enough perhaps, is not so much that we’ll never get the end of the series from his hand, but that he never gets to tell it. I can’t help but think of being a writer with a story to tell, but never being able to do so. I can’t help but wonder if he regretted that.

Either way, though his latest work felt like it was dragging on a fair bit I did greatly enjoy reading most of his work and I can say that his story did deeply touch me. And though I didn’t know him personally[html]—[/html]I’ve only met him once[html]—[/html]I believe that he was a great man. His passing is a loss to the world.

Well, as he said at the start of every book:

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Merinid Tlin'orzza
Regular

Post by Merinid Tlin'orzza »

*gives a moment of silence*

Peace be with you, Robert. v.v
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

I agree with Shiril'e, but I also feel that he would not have left his unfinished work to his family and loved ones if he did not have utter confidence they would preserve his vision. I don't think he would regret not being able to finish his work, as it's been left in hands that he felt more than capable.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Arathen
Maid
Maid

Post by Arathen »

As a writer with his own story to tell...and a fan of Robert Jordan's work, I can say with utmost sincerity that I wish he had been able to tell the last of his story. He will be missed, truly.
"Courage lies not in the lack of fear...but in doing something you are afraid to."

Check out the progress on my book at http://kaavelbaelithar.deviantart.com/
Kaele
Maid
Maid

Post by Kaele »

[color=indigo:1d9ng9qv]Ah, I didn't even think about mentioning Jordan's (whose real name is James Rigney) passing here. My husband was called to a chat meeting by fellow members of Theoryland WoT during the Pats game when the news was announced. We were all stricken, though not completely surprised.

My husband (Hopper) and I, along with a handful of others from Theoryland got to meet with Robert Jordan at DragonCon 2005. I was new to his books (fiction or non), but I remember thinking he look a good deal older and more frail than his (then) 61 years of age. Another thing that struck me was the complete devotion he and his wife, Harriet, had for one another.

My understanding is that the public funeral is being held today (Weds) in Charleston. If it weren't such a hectic work week for my husband, we might have actually made the 5 hour trek to attend it.

My heart goes out to Harriet as she begins her season of grief. She seemed like such a lovely, caring lady at DragonCon. Her focus was all on her husband. During Jordan's struggle she was his solid foundation, giving him all her support and love while he fought against an incurable disease. She is obviously a strong woman, emotionally and spiritually.

I haven't been able to connect to Robert Jordon's blog page, http://www.dragonmount.com in 2 days (not surprisingly), but his Wikipedia page has been updated and can be read here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_jordan.[/color:1d9ng9qv]
Natha bwael z''haan zhah alur taga natha myar fre''sla (Drow)
Is fear rith maith ná drochsheasamh (Celtic)
A good run is better than a bad stand (Common English)