4th Edition and the Forgotten Realms

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

And that sounds like Mystra might be in trouble, yet there's no mention of it? Wizards is full of fools.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Narsia Ny'Dhun":quqje0mm]And that sounds like Mystra might be in trouble, yet there's no mention of it? Wizards is full of fools.[/quote:quqje0mm]

According to The Grand Histroy of the Realms, Mystra is dead. That likely is beyound being in trouble *sighs*
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Well I meant the current goddess of magic who took on Mystra's name for the sake of her followers when taking her place.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Narsia Ny'Dhun":1mgudpbg]Well I meant the current goddess of magic who took on Mystra's name for the sake of her followers when taking her place.[/quote:1mgudpbg]

She is dead, there is no Goddess of Magic at all.
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Really? Wow, when did this happen? I really need to catch up on my Realms history
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Narsia Ny'Dhun":2xkwti9x]Really? Wow, when did this happen? I really need to catch up on my Realms history[/quote:2xkwti9x]

Other then the book I mentioned, not sure where else it has occured.

In the FR timeline it occurs in about two years best I can tell.

The Weave disappears, also it appears Shadow Weave disappears. no word on what happens to Shar. Official lunch is to take place in about 6 months in Real time, though that date appears uncertain.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":1bgdapl5]Official lunch is to take place in about 6 months in Real time, though that date appears uncertain.[/quote:1bgdapl5]
Nice typo. :p

Mystra gone? Bah, one of the things I liked about the Forgotten Realms was how magic came through a deity.

They really seem to be doing their best to make the Forgotten Realms as generic a fantasy setting as possible. :squint:

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

I think it's because they've run out of new ideas to bring in more money and think they're reinventing things by getting back to basics.

And what's more, if Mystra's gone then how come a new goddess of magic wasn't reborn through the Sisters right away? That's what they were born for, right? I'm hoping the actual release will answer these questions, because right now nothing makes sense.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Narsia Ny'Dhun":2h9dhrsk]I think it's because they've run out of new ideas to bring in more money and think they're reinventing things by getting back to basics.

And what's more, if Mystra's gone then how come a new goddess of magic wasn't reborn through the Sisters right away? That's what they were born for, right? I'm hoping the actual release will answer these questions, because right now nothing makes sense.[/quote:2h9dhrsk]

At least one of the Chosen dies as well, we do not yet know about the others yet.

Corellon appears to be slated to become a deity of what magic still remains, his worshippers will include other then elf races as a result.

Rich Baker said there are too many deities and too many powerful NPCs so they needed to go. *shrugs* Tere is also indication that WotC does not care about current market, that focus is the develope a new market, with some hope current market will stay.
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Too many deities? Maybe. Too powerful NPC's? Well who's fault is it? Besides, as it was resolved in the SW novels: Jacen Solo in one moment of his life became the most powerful Jedi there was. He did not surpass his grandfather though, yet he was extremely close with the Force. SO? The author wrote "he knew, he would never again be as close to the Force, as he was in that moment, but he knew he would do anything to achieve it once more."
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":2qnbnqi9]Rich Baker said there are too many deities and too many powerful NPCs so they needed to go. *shrugs* Tere is also indication that WotC does not care about current market, that focus is the develope a new market, with some hope current market will stay.[/quote:2qnbnqi9]
Then Rich Baker is an idiot. Having so many deities is exactly what gave the setting character, one of the things which made it stand out from other settings. And considering how much interest people are always showing in the myriad of deities it was one of the things which was most popular. IMHO.

Bah.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Agreed.
Arathen
Maid
Maid

Post by Arathen »

I may not agree entirely with what they're doing...I may not enjoy every change they make. But, in the end, I love the Forgotten Realms setting. I intend fully on continuing to play in the world that I love.
"Courage lies not in the lack of fear...but in doing something you are afraid to."

Check out the progress on my book at http://kaavelbaelithar.deviantart.com/
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":13sojiea][quote="Narsia Ny'Dhun":13sojiea]I think it's because they've run out of new ideas to bring in more money and think they're reinventing things by getting back to basics.

And what's more, if Mystra's gone then how come a new goddess of magic wasn't reborn through the Sisters right away? That's what they were born for, right? I'm hoping the actual release will answer these questions, because right now nothing makes sense.[/quote:13sojiea]

At least one of the Chosen dies as well, we do not yet know about the others yet.[/quote:13sojiea]

[color=darkred:13sojiea]Various hints lead me to believe that it might be Elminster.... Even though he's Ed Greenwood's avatar in the FRCS. Doesn't he go insane in Elminster in Hell?

Halaster dies, too, destabilizing Undermountain and causing all sorts of problems for Waterdeep. (This is official and not my opinion, btw)[/color:13sojiea]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Might have known. Undermountain is shaking. But, most importantly to us, what happens with the drow? Some of them have magic in their blood, they have their spell-like abilities... That is a question apart from what happens to the Dark Maiden. And what's more, what is to become of the drow cities, like Menzoberranzan? I was made of magic to a large extent. What happens now? Will Gromph (my second favorite wizard in all the realms) die? And what of Liriel? Not only is Eilistraee her patron deity, but she is MOSTLY A WIZARD!!!! What now? Will my favorite female character disapear? Will she go mad?

<Speaking to himself, because he's sooo drunk...>

Find out in the updates...